Biggest underdog in rematch after winning first fight since Serra/GSP 2?

What was Honda v Tate 2? That's my guess.

Ronda won the first fight and was the favorite in the rematch. I’m asking about the 1st winner coming back as a heavy underdog

Bisping vs Rockhold 2?

Same thing here, rockhold won the first fight and then opened as the favorite so not a winner that’s a dog

Forest and Shogun 2 I think might be the best example given in this thread, but that’s just +180 so not as wild as it looks Black Beast is opening as

Did anybody win after fighting / watching Lewis vs Ngannou....

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

Ronda won the first fight and was the favorite in the rematch. I’m asking about the 1st winner coming back as a heavy underdog

Same thing here, rockhold won the first fight and then opened as the favorite so not a winner that’s a dog

Forest and Shogun 2 I think might be the best example given in this thread, but that’s just +180 so not as wild as it looks Black Beast is opening as
Yeah I know it was a terrible guess. That's been reviewed already. Thanks for hammering it in. LOL. Someon said Anderson Yushin 2 how do you feel about that?!

Fedor v TK I'd imagine.

InB4 he didn't really lose.

Ngannou was clearly not at his best that night. I wouldn't expect a repeat performance from either of them, honestly. Lewis probably will lose a decision, but I expect a good fight either way

The issue I spose as well is that Ngannou probably wouldnt need to do THAT much more to win a decision, it was a fight which Lewis pretty much won via default last time and even if it does end up going the same kind of way Ngannou does seem like he could land more in that kind of fight now, not quite so dependent on bulrush windmilling.

I do feel Lewis will need to do something to win this time, either KO Francis, hurt him significantly once or more or push the pace enough that he gasses.

This weekend alone, Marlon Vera was at one time something like -325 ahead of his rematch with Davey Grant. Grant beat him by decision in 2016, and Vera is still heavily favored in their rematch at UFC on ESPN 25.

Yeah I know it was a terrible guess. That's been reviewed already. Thanks for hammering it in. LOL. Someon said Anderson Yushin 2 how do you feel about that?!

Was a victory and definitely applies to my question, I added a caveat of within 5 years to avoid young gun loses to fighter in prime, then 8 years later a 40 year old loses to fighter in prime. Should've added a caveat of not DQ victories either

What do you think the odds of Jon Jones vs Matt Hamil 2 would have been? Lol

This weekend alone, Marlon Vera was at one time something like -325 ahead of his rematch with Davey Grant. Grant beat him by decision in 2016, and Vera is still heavily favored in their rematch at UFC on ESPN 25.

Oh wow. I didn't realize Grant was that much of an underdog. Grant looks +170 to me now and when I looked a couple days ago. But I wasn't trying to line snipe that fight early so could have missed swings

Last edited:
Black Beast looks to be +275 against Ngannou in the (not yet official) rematch despite winning a decision we're all trying to forget in 2018

Unless the rematch was 5 or more years later, when one party could be old and slow now, what are some other instances of fighters being significant underdogs in a rematch after winning the first fight?

Serra looks like he was +350 after beating GSP the first time and I have to imagine that's the biggest example of a winner being a dog in the rematch. Is Black Beast the biggest underdog winner since then?

If the future odds of Aljo-Yan doesn’t win me the thread, I’ll take Uriah Hall closing at +400 against Gegard.

<BC1>

Black Beast looks to be +275 against Ngannou in the (not yet official) rematch despite winning a decision we're all trying to forget in 2018

Unless the rematch was 5 or more years later, when one party could be old and slow now, what are some other instances of fighters being significant underdogs in a rematch after winning the first fight?

Serra looks like he was +350 after beating GSP the first time and I have to imagine that's the biggest example of a winner being a dog in the rematch. Is Black Beast the biggest underdog winner since then?

This got me thinking. Lewis was given those rounds because Francis literally did nothing, which is a level below the typical Lewis output.

What percentage of the rounds that completed the full 5 minutes do you think he’s won? And if that likely among the lowest percentage among guys who have contended for titles.

Back