Biggest turn from Fan Favorite, to "Not This Guy Again"?

My personal biggest fan turn is Palhares. I was a very big fan of him,but the subs vs Pierce and Fitch made it way too far. Now I really hate the guy.

Cerrone is another decent mention. Always liked him,but his performances when a fight really mattered and his BS comments on RDA changed everything.

I can't believe nobody has said Aldo. I was a huge WEC fan and he was a killer. He got into the UFC and became a decision machine who pulled out of almost every fight all while saying the most outlandish things.

Tito Ortiz to some degree... Tank Abbott. Not that either guy was ever really beloved by fans, but most people today just mock both of them.

Wanderlei is definitely the grand champion of this category.

anyone who was doing well then lost

wanderlei and aldo come to mind as they had feuds w chael and conor, that was the end of them pretty much, getting owned verbally while they could barely speak english - then the wanderlei fallout etc.

i remember a time when jon fitch was respected by fans as the next up and comer - then he had a little beef w the ufc (and add in his fighting style) and he went from cool to not cool to rep and that was that

I only clicked be cause you spelled favorite right. Kudos my friend.

How about Royce Gracie? Everybody loved him before Pride GP 2000, after that Sherdog be like "STFU Royce!"

What's interesting about Guida is that it pretty much happened over the course of a single fight.

[YT]4k3zf-4QQr8[/YT]

It was the back stage video after the fight where Guida is complaining about the judging that really got me. But yeah, for sheer speed of fan attitude change,it has to be Guida.

Wanderlei is a different case, because all would be forgiven if he could simply fight. No one pays to hear what Wandy thinks about anything.

1st place is Wand

2nd place is Aldo

Rampage Jackson.

I'd still watch Wanderlei fight. Jackson? Fuck that.

Aldo when he started sparring instead of fighting and pulling out of fights

Josh Thomson used to be exciting every fight but now sometimes he just tries to win rounds by getting a back mount/bodytriangle and not even trying for a RNC. So I don't hate him every fight but sometimes I can't wait for the round to end

First things first - I'm not trying to instigate or bash... I just am genuinely curious about who has gone from most loved to most disliked in MMA in recent years?

Now I will NEVER stop appreciating what he gave to the fans, or stop admiring his fight history, but has Wanderlei jumped the shark? He seems to have gone from one of the absolute most loved fighters to someone I at least don't want to hear from.

I just got the idea for this question when I saw the thread about him talking about Ronda. I'm not a huge Ronda fan, but it seemed out of character and unneeded for him to call her out for Cyborg. I get that he is very passionate, but man, I really cringe when I see his name pop up these days.

If not Wand, who has had the biggest about face in popularity? Rampage?

p.s. I was even one of the fans here that added my name to the War Wand banner that was sent to him before one of his big fights a couple years back... I seriously love his fights.

This place has always been full of Rampage haters. I love the guy though and I'm always excited to see his fights.

Wanderlei is probably the best example. Aldo is another though he does have a dedicated legion of fans who turned the other cheek during Aldo-gate, adamantly arguing that there was nothing overtly suspicious about the whole fiasco.

The real problem with Wanderlei of course is that as much as they might try to hide it much of the fanbase is far more emotionally invested in the UFC brand and the business success of Zuffa than it is the fighters.

The ironic thing of course is that Wanderlei was widely disliked on these forums back in the Pride days and shortly afterwards(yes I posted then with another account). It was only when the threat of "rival brands" had declined and Wanderlei himself had dropped back to being a fun brawler rather than a title contender that he became popular.

Wanderlei for sure. Although I still like him. His career went downhill pretty fast in UFC.

Oh yeah and Palhares had one of the biggest and most annoying fanbases here a few years ago. People have turned around on him for the most part.

yea Guida easily imo

that was the tipping point, but for me it started with the Pettis fight, The benson fight was only entertaining because Guida couldn't run away or lay on Benson

This. I began souring on Guida when he stunk up the joint vs Pettis.

His fight vs Benson was incredible though, even though it was relegated to Facebook iirc. :redface:

I still have no clue why they didn't include it on the main FOX card with Cain/JDS.

The real problem with Wanderlei of course is that as much as they might try to hide it much of the fanbase is far more emotionally invested in the UFC brand and the business success of Zuffa than it is the fighters.

The ironic thing of course is that Wanderlei was widely disliked on these forums back in the Pride days and shortly afterwards(yes I posted then with another account). It was only when the threat of "rival brands" had declined and Wanderlei himself had dropped back to being a fun brawler rather than a title contender that he became popular.

I never liked his personality, but how does one not respect him for his fighting? I don't know. I love to watch his fights. I love to watch Jon's fights.

What they do outside of that is secondary.

I never liked his personality, but how does one not respect him for his fighting? I don't know. I love to watch his fights. I love to watch Jon's fights.

What they do outside of that is secondary.

Who'd win between Wanderlei and one of your Slovak hillbillies? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back