Biggest turn from Fan Favorite, to "Not This Guy Again"?

BBMN

Pancakes?!
@red
Reaction score
First things first - I'm not trying to instigate or bash... I just am genuinely curious about who has gone from most loved to most disliked in MMA in recent years?

Now I will NEVER stop appreciating what he gave to the fans, or stop admiring his fight history, but has Wanderlei jumped the shark? He seems to have gone from one of the absolute most loved fighters to someone I at least don't want to hear from.

I just got the idea for this question when I saw the thread about him talking about Ronda. I'm not a huge Ronda fan, but it seemed out of character and unneeded for him to call her out for Cyborg. I get that he is very passionate, but man, I really cringe when I see his name pop up these days.

If not Wand, who has had the biggest about face in popularity? Rampage?

p.s. I was even one of the fans here that added my name to the War Wand banner that was sent to him before one of his big fights a couple years back... I seriously love his fights.

Wanderlei Silva used to be the most popular fighter in the UFC, now he barely has any fans left.

To a much lesser degree...Clay Guida. There was a time back in the good old days when people really liked Clay. Now, no one could care less that he fights.

Never been a huge fan... but at this point the UFC should just cut ties and allow Wanderlei to go make that Bellator money.

For all the shit Dana gave Bellator for holding Eddie Alvarez hostage, seems like they could do Wandy a solid and let him go.

I don't know how I have put up with Tito for so long but its getting sickening. Wandy of course.

Wanderlei, he needs to disappear, it's staring to get embarrassing for both us and him. Rampage at least has the benefit of being amusing

Guida used to be a sure-shot FOTN guy every time he fought

Now is a very boring grinder.

Never been a huge fan... but at this point the UFC should just cut ties and allow Wanderlei to go make that Bellator money.

For all the shit Dana gave Bellator for holding Eddie Alvarez hostage, seems like they could do Wandy a solid and let him go.

Agreed

and Wandy vs. King Mo for first fight back would be awesome.

Agreed

and Wandy vs. King Mo for first fight back would be awesome.

I have no desire to watch Wand get taken down and laid on for 5 rounds...or 3 if Bellator doesn't do 5 round main events.

To a much lesser degree...Clay Guida. There was a time back in the good old days when people really liked Clay. Now, no one could care less that he fights.

What's interesting about Guida is that it pretty much happened over the course of a single fight.

[YT]4k3zf-4QQr8[/YT]

What's interesting about Guida is that it pretty much happened over the course of a single fight.

[YT]4k3zf-4QQr8[/YT]
The fight that turned me into a Maynard fan... Used to hate the guy until he went full on Mark Hunt on Guida lol

2dsr5fm.jpg

Guida. I never liked the guy and always found him boring but he was extremely popular for quite a while. The Pettis fight and then the Gray Maynard fight instantly turned him heel. Incidentally, I don't mind him as much anymore because the hatred has gone a bit overboard imo and he is one of the few "classic" UFC guys still around so it's fun to see him in the mix.

Wand is definitely the biggest example but I never watch/read any of his recent interviews (other people should follow suit) so I still have fond memories

Bj Penn. Used to be a huge fan til around the second gsp fight. From that point on its been all down hill. To the point I wanted to get in the cage n punch him for his stupid straight up and down stance.

There are plenty for me:
Bonnar
Griffin
Guida
Tito
Maynard
Maia
Alves
Thiago Silva
Nate Diaz

Personally Conor. He is SO overacting his persona.

At the same time, he keeps winning so that makes it kinda ok i guess.

Back