Biggest skid a fighter has ever recovered from?

countswagula

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Obvious example here is Hunt getting a 4 fight win streak in the UFC and a #1 contender fight after a 6 fight losing skid, but I'm interested in others. Vitor had a very lukewarm period in his career starting with the second Couture loss including a 3 fight skid before reinventing himself as a middleweight. Same goes for Overeem's late Pride career before bulking up as a heavyweight.

Matt Brown looked like he was on his way out of the UFC at one point

Oh yeah, how about Steve Cantwell losing 5 in a row in the UFC.

Shogun by far. After his loss to Forrest he disappeared and people wrote him off. He came back vs Coleman and looked abysmal. He had a solid showing against Chuck, but given Chuck's state at the time it was hard to gauge it as that great of a win. Then he pretty much beat Machida twice who at that time seemed like the most invincible force in MMA and became the champ.

Overeem just before he went to HW. (And just after he came to the UFC but we haven't seen that recovery yet :p)

Mark Coleman went on a big skid at the end of his initial stint in the UFC then went to Pride and won the Grand Prix and had a pretty good run

Matt Brown looked like he was on his way out of the UFC at one point

I thought his goose was cooked after UFC 123 and 139. In all fairness he should've have been at the rates other fighters were cut during that time period but him being a fan favorite really saved him. Look at him now. Been a huge fan of his since tough and loved watching him beat up James Wilkes back and Jeremy May back in the day

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything UFC exclusive that compares to Hunt, Overeem, Vitor, and Coleman. Maybe some of the TUF comeback fighters like Matt Serra.

Shogun by far. After his loss to Forrest he disappeared and people wrote him off. He came back vs Coleman and looked abysmal. He had a solid showing against Chuck, but given Chuck's state at the time it was hard to gauge it as that great of a win. Then he pretty much beat Machida twice who at that time seemed like the most invincible force in MMA and became the champ.

Machida an invincible force? How did yo type that without laughing your ass off

My vote goes to Overeem as well. 3 fight losing strike all by being finished, wins one and then gets brutally KO'ed his next fight. Then goes on a 12 fight win streak and remains unbeaten for nearly 6 years.

Back