Biggest Sacrifices You Have Made?

When I was 18 & I was just about to start college I decided that I'd outgrown the comic book collection that I'd spent almost nine years building. I had about 5000 comics. The most valuable of which was my early Marvel comics. I had complete or near-complete runs of titles like AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS, UNCANNY X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, THE HULK & so on. All of which were worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Anyhow, I became obsessed with the idea that I needed a new car for college & the quickest, easiest way for me to reach that goal was to sell off my comic collection for the cash for the new car. But when I talked to my parents about it they tried like hell to talk me out of it because they knew how much my collection was worth & that it was only going to increase in value. Plus, they knew that I'd wind up regretting it. New car or not.

So, long story short. I didn't listen to my parents & because I was in a hurry to get that new car, I sold my collection to a local dealer who only gave me about a quarter of what it was worth. So, I sacrificed nearly a decade of love & effort that went into building that collection for the quick fix of getting the car before classes started at college. Something that I began to regret after only about a month. It took that amount of time for me to realize that I'd made a bad, hasty decision because my student loans & grants came in & I could have just used them for the car.

I thought about beginning a new comic collection but I just couldn't do it because it would never be as good as what I had. So, I went for a couple of decades without even looking at a comic book. Then one day I decided to go to my local comic shop & begin a new collection. But this one with much more modest goals because all those comics that I used to have had skyrocketed up in value over the years. That collection that I sold for a few thousand bucks would be worth enough to purchase a very nice house. And then some. So, I just focused on a few titles & certain runs of issues in eventually building up the 3000 book collection that I now own.

Actually, now that I've written this whole thing I've realized that it doesn't really fit the theme of the thread. It's far more of a biggest regret thread. But, what the hell, I'll still post it.
so comics still sell pretty good? i have a friend who had a nice collection, mostly sports cards, but when things went digital most of them lost their value. Of course things like Michael Jordan, A-Rod, Jeter rookie cards those mega stars will still be worth something, he had an opportunity to cash in but didnt (perhaps a bit greedy)

I was an avid snowboarder until I met my wife. She doesn't like the snow so I have never gone since.

I don't have any sort of any exact figure in mind ( it would still be too painful to sit down & calculate one ) but somewhere between $200,000 & $500,000. Probably more because I had a whole lot of early, key issues in excellent shape.
Holy shit. No wisecracks from me on this. Chin up-

I sacrificed this fat boy to satan for more buttsecks! Red bastard even through in a stick of butter from Marlon Brando's fridge.

so comics still sell pretty good? i have a friend who had a nice collection, mostly sports cards, but when things went digital most of them lost their value. Of course things like Michael Jordan, A-Rod, Jeter rookie cards those mega stars will still be worth something, he had an opportunity to cash in but didnt (perhaps a bit greedy)

Well, it all depends on the comics, of course. And the ones that I had are very highly sought after & always will be because of how rare they are.

Probably when I went back to school to get my MBA. Was very tough, had a son under 1, full time job which required a bit of travel. I actually figured out I work well in the morning, so I used to favour getting up at 4am to study as opposed to staying up late.

This took right on two years (Feb 2016 - Feb 2018), I did summer semester both years to make sure I finished quick as possible. Was worth it though, currently putting in an application for a CEO role.

A lot. I laid hardwood floors 12 hrs a day in college during summer breaks when everyone else was fucking off. No student loans tough. I actually made more doing that than I make now at 50. Made about $3000 a week in the early 90s all piece work and I was fast...arnt we all at 20?

I used to buy 40lbs of beans and 40lbs of rice from costco just to survive and pay rent and keep ROTH at max when I was starting my career in accounting.

I drove a 73 nova I got in HS 1986 for $600 until 1994. Rebuilt engine myself. I've never had a car payment.

I built my own house 80%. All but concrete, rough in plumbing, rough in electrical, HVAC, and drywall. 5000 sq ft house. "made" 300,000 day I got occupancy permit 15 years ago. I've never had a house payment and I live in 2M dollar house.

Last edited:
Back