Biggest rise in fame after a loss, Chael or Gus?

Well it did seem a bit weird when you say "Gustafsson fans are only fans because they think he can beat Jones" and then a sentence or two later you say "I became a Gus fan after the Jones fight because I didn't know he was that good."

I mean those two points of view are kinda similar just worded differently.

But yeah, I as well became a big fan of Gustafsson's after the Jones fight. Who didn't? That was one of the best fights I have ever seen and aside from Vitor's arm-bar, it was the closest anyone has come to beating Jones yet. The way Jones kept it competitive and then rallied back and smashed him with that spinning elbow is just epic.

if you are going to use quotation marks it is bad form to not use the actaul words I used. what you quoted is not what I said but I'm sure you know that and changed my quote to better fit with you agenda.

Chael did was he was supposed to do, dominating with wrestling, and lost like he always do, by sub. He did much better than expected but got finished and also failed the drug test. Sonnen was +350.

Even if he didn't do much with it, nobody expected Gus to be the only guy to take Jones down. He also inflicted a lot of dammage and went the distance. Gus was +600.

Chael did was he was supposed to do, dominating with wrestling, and lost like he always do, by sub. He did much better than expected but got finished and also failed the drug test. Sonnen was +350.

Even if he didn't do much with it, nobody expected Gus to be the only guy to take Jones down. He also inflicted a lot of dammage and went the distance. Gus was +600.

sooooo... your answer to the OP question is?

Won is a very relative term.

229_jon_jones_vs_alexander_gustafsson.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Gus. Chael worked more angles than just fighting.

Definitely Chael. Nobody had given Silva that type of beating before their fight. Along with the trash talk before the fight, it made him a star overnight.

Like Silva, Jones was also looking invincible before the Gus fight. Had Gus talk mad shit before the Jones fight, he would probably be on the same level after that performance.

Also, I think more people watched the Silva/Sonnen fight. More publicity = more "fame".

Probably Gustafsson. Maybe my memory is off but I remember Sonnen doing most of the work to sell himself pre-fight. The fight itself was kind of immaterial to that.

Gus. Even before the Jones fight he got a lot of hype after losing to Davis.

Chael... gus isnt even popular mainstream....chael is EVERYWHERE mma is

Recency is clouding your judgment

Gus when from that tall white guy to being on the cover of a video game off of a loss. my judgement is not clouded.

Michael Bisping!

Out of those 2 though... Chael

Chael. He dominated him for 4 solid rounds. And his personality draws alot of attention

chael

nobody cared about chael until that fight and then he was immediately one of the most popular fighters in the ufc. that loss is the only reason hes an analyst and gets to fight top 205ers including a title shot against jones

gus fans are mostly swedes and jones haters (though there are many). reminds me more of okami before his anderson rematch

MMA fans are up huge on Gus no question.
But in terms of fame coming off those losses. Chael by a mile, guest on TMZ live i believe after the first Silva loss.
And i know "Fuck TMZ" blah, blah, blah. But dude wasn't interviewed on the street as is customary but was actually brought onto the show.

Lame: Yes.

Bigtime: Yes.

tmz-sonnen.jpg

Back