Biggest reach disadvantage victory?

the big marmot

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Canelo will have a 8 inches (19 centimeters) disadvantage of reach to Smith, which fights had a even bigger difference and and the t rex fighter won?

Last edited:
hearns duran had to be a fairly big difference. Maybe hearns vs. many of his opponents.

oh, ya sorry, should have read closer, lets see, tyson vs. just about anyone he fought in his early years, he had a 71 inch reach and was beating guys like carl williams with an 85 inch reach.

Don't make, "reach," be the big deal. That might be superficial, from my experience. Say, "distance" advantage. Who uses their distance better.

Duran beat the rangier SRL who beat the ranger Hearns, who lost to Barkley who got up close.

Don't make, "reach," be the big deal. That might be superficial, from my experience. Say, "distance" advantage. Who uses their distance better.

Duran beat the rangier SRL who beat the ranger Hearns, who lost to Barkley who got up close.
alot of the it is strictly a mental thing, look at duran stand up straight against hearns, leap in and throw awkward rights, or ray stand back and allow hearns to take the fight before Ray went nuts. Even great fighters get psyched by opponents, i can think of many who've been duped at one time or another even when we think of these guys as fearless.

On the other hand, Tyson used to say that landing a jab was all technique and timing and not reach, as he got older, he saw just how much of a disadvantage his height and reach really were.

It's not that you can't have disadvantages but you have to have a way to compensate, in Tyson's case it was intensity, hand and foot speed, great defense and power. In other guy's cases, like chavez, they have limitless stamina and resilience. So, disadvantages are not insurmountable and oft-times don't mean very much.

Sam Langford gave up 12" to Harry Wills. Dempsey gave up 10" to Jess Willard.

Recently AJ had a 8" reach advantage over Ruiz. Fury had a 10" reach advantage over the great Seferi.

Jo Frazier victory over Ali in the fight of the century .
Ali was the greatest out-fighter in heavyweight history and yet Jo consistently dismantled him until the end of the last round .

pacquiao-margarito-fight.jpg

Pacquiao gave up 6'' against Margarito and de la Hoya. Julio Cesar Chavez gave up 7.5'' to Roger Mayweather. Mikey Garcia gave up 8'' to Robert Easter. Tua gave up 12'' to Hasim Rahman.

I'm pretty sure pac had a longer arm length than both though.

Pretty sure whoever beat Julius Long or Mike White (Moorer comes to mind) would have been at huge reach disadvantages. I remember watching Jimmy Paul KO Alvin Hayes as a kid, probably a big discrepancy in that one.

Back