Biggest hypocrisy of boxing fans regarding old school vs new school

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by IGotAHugePeckah, Sep 4, 2019.

1. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

someone gets it.

Yacob likes this.
  2. eternaldarkness

people rate floyd lower because the average fan likes knockouts and floyd stopped delivering latter in his career. also had a shit personality, it is what it is.

RabbitPunch36 and Absolut like this.
  3. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Nonsense.

4. eternaldarkness

i'm dead serious, there is a bunch of fighters that would have given floyd hell, that most people have never heard of. i would bet the house on a young cervantes against floyd (different era to robinson, obviously) but i would favour many other old time fighters over floyd as well.
    i don't think floyds style matches up well against some of the better maulers of the era, and i think there was better boxers in that era also. i think the same thing would happen to floyd that happened to pep against saddler.
    call me a skeptic but i just don't think floyd had the firepower to hang in that era.

Yacob likes this.
  5. Yacob

Yacob I'm sometimes compared to Jack Johnson

Yeah i don't know anyone who's favoring Rocky over prime Ali....that's a light heavyweight vs a real heavyweight with Ali's movement and quickness.

Rocky had no reach. He plodded a lot......yeah......Ali by finish. Violently.

I love Marciano though. He was a savage. Seemingly a good man too fwiw

6. Yacob

Yacob I'm sometimes compared to Jack Johnson

Huh? No.

He's not close to greatest...not even in the neighborhood. Not even in the same county....

Best? Most skilled? Top two way boxer ever? .......then now there's an argument....i guess

I'm a huge Floyd fan but he wasn't untouchable like some of you think.

Jose Luis Castillo beat him....let's not pretend that never happened

7. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I never said he was unbeatable but to say a guy with that ring IQ wouldn't have been effective in other eras is ridiculous.

RabbitPunch36 likes this.
  8. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

What you don't seem to get, we can only scrutinize our generation of fighters, the ones we live through.Everything else is hearsay.

9. ccm22

ccm22 Green Belt

I’ve only seen YouTube footage of Robinson and Armstrong, but I think they’d have done all right today.

10. eternaldarkness

i didn't say he wouldn't be effective he would still obviously be upper echelon, i just think there are a number of fighters in robinsons era that were better.

11. eternaldarkness

not sure if serious?

SandaKicker and KyleNakMuay like this.
  12. deucesarewild

deucesarewild Orange Belt

Ah you are wasting your time. They don't get it. And if they say, "go on, then, explain it" they are already loaded to be apprehensive. I will say that it's not about firepower to hang in that era, it's just that guys had more exposure to different styles so they had more experience.

13. Khaiser

Khaiser White Belt

Robinson was absolutely exceptional, and it doesn’t really take a close examination of his record to know that.

When you look at any sport on a historical basis you can usually see how the sport has progressed into the modern day. Robinson though, was absolute poetry in motion. Technically brilliant both offensively and defensively, perfectly balanced, full array of punches, power in either hand with every shot, deadly finisher, outstanding conditioning, great chin......he was just so far ahead of his time.

Mickf likes this.
  14. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

15. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Yeah, he ruined his argument right there. Showed himself as a Floyd fellator. Floyd aint fit to sniff the steam off Ray's shit, its how it is and how it will always be.

16. HelpYouFall

HelpYouFall Purple Belt

In the kitchen, not bothered over a steak.
    WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY BOY JAKE?!

17. Boxer

Boxer Brown Belt

Opinions come in all shapes and sizes but I think the TS is complaining about a minority.

I personally have said Floyd is the most technically gifted boxer probably ever so I don't have any issue with that.

What I will say is I think in this age of cautious, technical boxing, the modern boxing fan is impressed when they see the offensive prowess and raw toughness of the Old school fighters.

Deontay Wilder is the closest example to the Foremans, Fraziers, Tysons who we rarely see these days ...........

With dog fighting guys like Marciano, Frazier, Dempsey etc the old fighter just seem tougher, even the skilled ones like Ali and SSR.

I will say though that fighters like Usyk, Gassiev etc have tilted that, their core toughness and iron will has shone through in what was becoming an overly technical and cautious day and age.

Currently I think we have a good mix of different fighters.

18. stuff jones

stuff jones Purple Belt

So your point is that people have an easier time naming recent fighters (Floyd's foes) than guys from 50 years ago (SRR's foes)?

19. kenji goh

kenji goh Blue Belt

What a clown??
    And I used to think Lopez's father was the worst...

20. Mickf

Mickf White Belt

Just one more point about SRR his 91 fight unbeaten streak ended when he lost a 15 round decision to Randy Turpin. That was SRR's 7 fight in 7 weeks. He had went to europe 7 weeks earlier and had fought and beaten every top contender all over europe.