Biggest hypocrisy of boxing fans regarding old school vs new school

I've seen this shit for YEARS now and it never ceases to be hilarious.

You bring up Floyd going 50-0 and boxing fans are like "yeah but he didn't fight anyone, everyone as past their prime, everyone sucked, everyone was injured, blah blah". They'll pick through Floyd's record and explain to you how their mother could have beaten the guys Floyd did, when he did.

BUUUUUUUUUT, these same dopes will go on Ad nauseam about how SRR went 130-1 (or whatever it was) at one point, or how Rocky Marciano went 49-0 and how he'd whip Ali because the computer fight proved it, and all this nonsense.

Without the aid of Boxrec (and leaving out Jake Lamotta), most of these casuals would struggle to name one guy SRR beat during that run, and I'd say even the more experienced boxing fans would struggle to name 3. And I'm not bagging on SRR, that's just the way it was back then - the guy was fighting every week, you're not going to have a world class opponent lined up every fucking weekend. And you want to talk about old and past their prime... funny how that doesn't get brought up when we're talking about Marciano's best victories.

I know some of ya'll fall into this category and will be offended and try to defend it - don't bother, I've heard all the bullshit over the last 15 years. Just know real boxing fans see through all that golden age nuthugging hahaha
people rate floyd lower because the average fan likes knockouts and floyd stopped delivering latter in his career. also had a shit personality, it is what it is.

Nonsense.
i'm dead serious, there is a bunch of fighters that would have given floyd hell, that most people have never heard of. i would bet the house on a young cervantes against floyd (different era to robinson, obviously) but i would favour many other old time fighters over floyd as well.
i don't think floyds style matches up well against some of the better maulers of the era, and i think there was better boxers in that era also. i think the same thing would happen to floyd that happened to pep against saddler.
call me a skeptic but i just don't think floyd had the firepower to hang in that era.

Never seen anyone here post this. Maybe spacetime has, but certainly not people who aren't mentally ill.
Yeah i don't know anyone who's favoring Rocky over prime Ali....that's a light heavyweight vs a real heavyweight with Ali's movement and quickness.

Rocky had no reach. He plodded a lot......yeah......Ali by finish. Violently.

I love Marciano though. He was a savage. Seemingly a good man too fwiw

I’d say there is a case for Floyd as the GOAT
Huh? No.

He's not close to greatest...not even in the neighborhood. Not even in the same county....

Best? Most skilled? Top two way boxer ever? .......then now there's an argument....i guess

I'm a huge Floyd fan but he wasn't untouchable like some of you think.

Jose Luis Castillo beat him....let's not pretend that never happened

i'm dead serious, there is a bunch of fighters that would have given floyd hell, that most people have never heard of. i would bet the house on a young cervantes against floyd (different era to robinson, obviously) but i would favour many other old time fighters over floyd as well.
i don't think floyds style matches up well against some of the better maulers of the era, and i think there was better boxers in that era also. i think the same thing would happen to floyd that happened to pep against saddler.
call me a skeptic but i just don't think floyd had the firepower to hang in that era.
I never said he was unbeatable but to say a guy with that ring IQ wouldn't have been effective in other eras is ridiculous.

What you don't seem to get, we can only scrutinize our generation of fighters, the ones we live through.Everything else is hearsay.

I’ve only seen YouTube footage of Robinson and Armstrong, but I think they’d have done all right today.

I never said he was unbeatable but to say a guy with that ring IQ wouldn't have been effective in other eras is ridiculous.
i didn't say he wouldn't be effective he would still obviously be upper echelon, i just think there are a number of fighters in robinsons era that were better.

Ah you are wasting your time. They don't get it. And if they say, "go on, then, explain it" they are already loaded to be apprehensive. I will say that it's not about firepower to hang in that era, it's just that guys had more exposure to different styles so they had more experience.

Robinson was absolutely exceptional, and it doesn’t really take a close examination of his record to know that.

When you look at any sport on a historical basis you can usually see how the sport has progressed into the modern day. Robinson though, was absolute poetry in motion. Technically brilliant both offensively and defensively, perfectly balanced, full array of punches, power in either hand with every shot, deadly finisher, outstanding conditioning, great chin......he was just so far ahead of his time.

tenor.gif

Never seen anyone here post this. Maybe spacetime has, but certainly not people who aren't mentally ill.
Yeah, he ruined his argument right there. Showed himself as a Floyd fellator. Floyd aint fit to sniff the steam off Ray's shit, its how it is and how it will always be.

Opinions come in all shapes and sizes but I think the TS is complaining about a minority.

I personally have said Floyd is the most technically gifted boxer probably ever so I don't have any issue with that.

What I will say is I think in this age of cautious, technical boxing, the modern boxing fan is impressed when they see the offensive prowess and raw toughness of the Old school fighters.

Deontay Wilder is the closest example to the Foremans, Fraziers, Tysons who we rarely see these days ...........

With dog fighting guys like Marciano, Frazier, Dempsey etc the old fighter just seem tougher, even the skilled ones like Ali and SSR.

I will say though that fighters like Usyk, Gassiev etc have tilted that, their core toughness and iron will has shone through in what was becoming an overly technical and cautious day and age.

Currently I think we have a good mix of different fighters.

I've seen this shit for YEARS now and it never ceases to be hilarious.

You bring up Floyd going 50-0 and boxing fans are like "yeah but he didn't fight anyone, everyone as past their prime, everyone sucked, everyone was injured, blah blah". They'll pick through Floyd's record and explain to you how their mother could have beaten the guys Floyd did, when he did.

BUUUUUUUUUT, these same dopes will go on Ad nauseam about how SRR went 130-1 (or whatever it was) at one point, or how Rocky Marciano went 49-0 and how he'd whip Ali because the computer fight proved it, and all this nonsense.

Without the aid of Boxrec (and leaving out Jake Lamotta), most of these casuals would struggle to name one guy SRR beat during that run, and I'd say even the more experienced boxing fans would struggle to name 3. And I'm not bagging on SRR, that's just the way it was back then - the guy was fighting every week, you're not going to have a world class opponent lined up every fucking weekend. And you want to talk about old and past their prime... funny how that doesn't get brought up when we're talking about Marciano's best victories.

I know some of ya'll fall into this category and will be offended and try to defend it - don't bother, I've heard all the bullshit over the last 15 years. Just know real boxing fans see through all that golden age nuthugging hahaha

So your point is that people have an easier time naming recent fighters (Floyd's foes) than guys from 50 years ago (SRR's foes)?

Just one more point about SRR his 91 fight unbeaten streak ended when he lost a 15 round decision to Randy Turpin. That was SRR's 7 fight in 7 weeks. He had went to europe 7 weeks earlier and had fought and beaten every top contender all over europe.

Back