Biggest hypocrisy of boxing fans regarding old school vs new school

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen this shit for YEARS now and it never ceases to be hilarious.

You bring up Floyd going 50-0 and boxing fans are like "yeah but he didn't fight anyone, everyone as past their prime, everyone sucked, everyone was injured, blah blah". They'll pick through Floyd's record and explain to you how their mother could have beaten the guys Floyd did, when he did.

BUUUUUUUUUT, these same dopes will go on Ad nauseam about how SRR went 130-1 (or whatever it was) at one point, or how Rocky Marciano went 49-0 and how he'd whip Ali because the computer fight proved it, and all this nonsense.

Without the aid of Boxrec (and leaving out Jake Lamotta), most of these casuals would struggle to name one guy SRR beat during that run, and I'd say even the more experienced boxing fans would struggle to name 3. And I'm not bagging on SRR, that's just the way it was back then - the guy was fighting every week, you're not going to have a world class opponent lined up every fucking weekend. And you want to talk about old and past their prime... funny how that doesn't get brought up when we're talking about Marciano's best victories.

I know some of ya'll fall into this category and will be offended and try to defend it - don't bother, I've heard all the bullshit over the last 15 years. Just know real boxing fans see through all that golden age nuthugging hahaha

I agree to say this.
Fighting is a thing which you appreciate "live", you had the build up, the uncertainty of the outcome, the context of the fight etc...So if appreciating the greats of the past is perfectly normal from a technical point of view, truth is you can only understand the full spectrum of fights and fighters if you have seen those live.
Rest is history as they say...

"Whip Ali because the computer fight proved it."

What kind of special needs people are you talking to?

Excessive nostalgia can be pretty bad. So can be old timers’ bashing.

You bring up Floyd going 50-0 and boxing fans are like "yeah but he didn't fight anyone, everyone as past their prime, everyone sucked, everyone was injured, blah blah". They'll pick through Floyd's record and explain to you how their mother could have beaten the guys Floyd did, when he did.

BUUUUUUUUUT, these same dopes will go on Ad nauseam about how SRR went 130-1 (or whatever it was) at one point, or how Rocky Marciano went 49-0 and how he'd whip Ali because the computer fight proved it, and all this nonsense.

Without the aid of Boxrec (and leaving out Jake Lamotta), most of these casuals would struggle to name one guy SRR beat during that run, and I'd say even the more experienced boxing fans would struggle to name 3. And I'm not bagging on SRR, that's just the way it was back then - the guy was fighting every week, you're not going to have a world class opponent lined up every fucking weekend. And you want to talk about old and past their prime... funny how that doesn't get brought up when we're talking about Marciano's best victories.

I know some of ya'll fall into this category and will be offended and try to defend it - don't bother, I've heard all the bullshit over the last 15 years. Just know real boxing fans see through all that golden age nuthugging hahaha
With SRR for example he went 85-0 as an amateur with something like 69 ko's and he had a record of 128 wins 1 loss 2 draws at one point. He also beat the lightweight belt holder in a non title bout and probably would of beat the light heavyweight champion if their wasn't a heat wave. So he could of been a 4 weight champion when there was only 8 weight classes and only one world champion in each. Also when he fought boxing was much more popular in america. It was among the big 3 sports in america along with baseball and football. I heard around his time there were 10,000 pro boxers in new york alone. Same with the 80's there was way more people boxing in america.

I've said that for years. If Floyd had ever fought some of the tomato cans Robinson fought, he'd be blacklisted.

That said, Robinson has a lot of quality on that resume too.

"Whip Ali because the computer fight proved it."

What kind of special needs people are you talking to?

Obviously made before the Foreman fight.... ;)

edit- full version

Obviously made before the Foreman fight.... ;)

edit- full version

Oh I knew about the computer fight, just never heard anyone use it as deductive reasoning as to why Rocky would have beat Ali lol.

there's a pic with elvis and ali in fighting poses, squared off, i told my buddy that elvis could beat him because he knew karate. He said "fuck no".

I don’t know why you think it’s only casuals who do that. Look around here. Some of the worst are hardcore fans. All the great fighters get shit on by people with an agenda.

Floyd? He didn’t fight anyone in his prime.
GGG? Got beat by Canelo, so he’s not that good.
Loma? Overrated as fuck.
And the list goes on.

If these guys had fought in the 70s-80s, more people would be praising their accomplishments.

I don’t know why you think it’s only casuals who do that. Look around here. Some of the worst are hardcore fans. All the great fighters get shit on by people with an agenda.

Floyd? He didn’t fight anyone in his prime.
GGG? Got beat by Canelo, so he’s not that good.
Loma? Overrated as fuck.
And the list goes on.

If these guys had fought in the 70s-80s, more people would be praising their accomplishments.

You forgot Lewis was a slow footed, glass chinned, mediocre jabber

Robinson beat an enormous amount of top-ranked contenders. Obviously, not every fight was against top guys, but you wouldn't expect that out of a guy who fought over a hundred fights.

Not that many people around these days who could name welterweight or middleweight boxers from 70 to 80 years ago. To properly understand and put into perspective what he accomplished, you'd have to look at the top rankings of the day, and look up the records of the men he beat, and put the pieces together.

Compared to someone like JC Chavez, his record was very legit.

Anyway, I struggle to compare modern boxers to old school boxers, because the sport has changed so much, and not necessarily for the better. Fights being 12 rounds instead of 15, gloves having more padding, referees being more involved, etc.

Floyds record is fcking incredible tbh, other than his last fight. People knocking him need to have a serious word with themselves

I'm a huge Floy and Rocky fan so I'm kinda in a weird spot here....

I’d say there is a case for Floyd as the GOAT but people don’t like him, so he usually isn’t given credit he is due. His competition has been amazing throughout and he’s took multiple titles in multiple weights.

SRR took belts too and didn’t have the steady stream of top opponents, he fought fighter with losing records plenty of times when he was well above taking fights like that.

Big difference was Robinson fought crazily often. Not once a year like a modern boxer, once a month, more sometimes. Fight enough times and build up injuries. Make Floyd fight the same amount and he could have wrecked his hands.

Head to head for me SRR wins. He’s bigger and a harder hitter, if they met prime vs prime he would have the speed and accuracy to have landed on Floyd clean, not outbox or outland him maybe but rattle in uppercut combos, hurt him.

it’s the frequency of how often he was able to maintain a record like that. Boxers can have an off night sparring, big or small events. 14 fights in one year, Keeping that run going for me shows proven consistency time and time again. 50-0 does the same just on a smaller scale.

I've said that for years. If Floyd had ever fought some of the tomato cans Robinson fought, he'd be blacklisted.

That said, Robinson has a lot of quality on that resume too.
a lot of quality on his record? your taking the piss right. floyd would be an also ran in robison's era.

With SRR for example he went 85-0 as an amateur with something like 69 ko's and he had a record of 128 wins 1 loss 2 draws at one point. He also beat the lightweight belt holder in a non title bout and probably would of beat the light heavyweight champion if their wasn't a heat wave. So he could of been a 4 weight champion when there was only 8 weight classes and only one world champion in each. Also when he fought boxing was much more popular in america. It was among the big 3 sports in america along with baseball and football. I heard around his time there were 10,000 pro boxers in new york alone. Same with the 80's there was way more people boxing in america.
someone gets it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back