Biggest Hype Drain Derailment

I'm curious what real K1 fans' perception of Reem was when he was first signed to fight Hari. I only loosely followed the elite K1 guys but just remember being surprised how well Reem did in K1.

He still doesn't belong in real K-1 legends talk, not even close to top 10.

Uber did a lot. Same did Sapp.

CC, came in..destroyed an undefeated prospect in Eddie Sanchez and was looking like an easy pick to win the title.

Fights Gonzaga, gets taken down and eats elbows...get's CC'd, nearly dies.

For people saying Brock, he won the belt and had solid wins over Carwin, Couture & Herring...and not to mention his man rape win over Mir. IMO he exceeded his hype, he did exceptionally considering his level of experience. I can't see anyone accomplishing that feat for a long long time, especially at HW.

Kimbo, by far. I know that the diehards never were really on board, but the Kimbo talk was off the charts at one point and many of the teenagers who touted him were convinced he could beat anybody. And then he rode the wave of EliteXC and Showtime, on to network TV...and then Seth derailed the train.

That's a pretty good one. Kimbo took out himself and his whole organization went down the drain. So to speak.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I wouldn't call "PRIDE openweight GP winner" being hyped. Cro Cop was a certified badass, his UFC career (along with Wand's, honestly), just didn't measure up to expectations for whatever reason.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a million better examples, but Maia popped into my head -- he was tapping everyone he could get his arms around, including Chael, and looked completely unstoppable. Then Nate knocked him out with one punch and aura was pretty much gone forever. Obligatory Soko mention, although I'm sure someone has brought him up already.

And if you can have a "hype train" while already having a UFC/WEC belt (I definitely disagree with this), nobody fell faster or harder than Torres. From a top P4P guy to out of the UFC in what seemed like a heartbeat. Mike Brown, too.

Cormier - AKA, "Black Fedor," "Emilianegro', etc. Undefeated, heavyweight smasher with Olympic level wrestling who rag dolls men half his size. The man who was going to rag doll Jones, give him a beating 10X what Gust did, beat him so badly twice that he rids MMA of Jones for good and puts his life into a tailspin. The man who said if he wanted to take Jones down 100 times he would. The man who said Jones wouldn't get him down. The man who called Jones out for years from a different organization and a weight class above him. The man 65% of this board said would beat Jones and 30 pro fighter to 11 said would beat Jones.

And when it comes down to it, Cormier was beat everywhere and has his soul taken, basically quitting in the fifth round to try and get at least one take down when he knew he needed a KO. The man who, understandably, was left weaping in the hallway being consoled by his crew who just a day earlier tried to pick a fight with Jones' team in a hotel hallway before the actual fight.

Jones nuked Cormier's hype train In a way he will never recover from. This has to be at or near the top of the list.

^^hard to call a guy with a 15-0 record, 0 lost rounds (or maybe one, I'm not sure) and wins over Bigfoot, Barnett, Mir, Hendo and Nelson all hype.

Yeah, Jones beat him. But that says more about Jones than it does about DC imo. DC is still a top fighter and should a favorite over any other fighter in the LHW div (aside from a fight vs the Mauler)

I'm betting on Siver.. I think Conor is alll hype. still has yet to beat real top competition and has a few early loses already to no-names. People act like he so unbeatable, but he's due for a loss.

Smart bet

052612varner.jpg

Reem and Crocop in the ufc, both came as monsters and had a lot of people sure that they will be champs. CC went 4-6 and Overeem is 3-3

Weidman derailed Anderson's hype train.
Since when a 16 wins streak and 10 title defenses are ''hype''?

Lesnar beat 2 all timers (Mir/ Couture)
Beat a certified bad-ass (Carwin)

Then he almost died form a crazy infection/ disease and had to put his career on hold

LOL at anybody who thinks Lesnar was "hype"

Biggest hype train derailment probably Barao

Your logic makes no sense...if Lesnar isn't a derailment, neither is Barao (volume of fights counts for something as well)

And here we go again... listing top 5 fighters and former champions as "hype"...

Back