Biggest Hype Drain Derailment

Mousasi is the correct answer.

Maybe Overeem (even if I am a huge Reem nuthugger)

006_Southall%20Train%20Crash%2040.jpg

Having watched MMA for several years now I can remember pretty clearly how I felt after most "hype drain derailments." I was on some, off others, but it's always an interesting thing to see "special" fighters not reach their potential for one reason or another and then to look back and wonder what the hell everyone was thinking.

It got me wondering about Conor and how big of a derailment we'd call it if Siver just starched him this weekend. I was trying to think if it would be the biggest hype squash of all time and I actually think it would probably come in second to Brock Lesnar.

Now, we can debate about the fact of whether Brock was hype at all considering he won the belt and beat some legends in the sport. He accmomplished a lot in a short time, but what I'm referring to is the tipping point leading up to the Cain fight. To this day that is probably the single biggest/deepest divide this forum had ever seen with a near even split of vets/newbies/all-comers staunchly picking sides. IIRC Sherdog had Brock winning by a few % points.

There were respected posters creating threads about how Brock was a candidate as the best UFC HW of all time. How he'd destroy Fedor at any time. How he is an unstoppable force in the octagon. It seemed as though the Cain fight was the only thing stopping him from MMA immortality.

Then this happened:

lesnar_disco_dance.gif

Then this:

overeem-defeats-lesnar-o.gif

Now Lesnar is known more for his incredible drawing power than his actual ability in the cage.

For your money what was the biggest derailment of all time and where would a Conor KO this week place?

lol.

Brock wasn't a hype train. He came into the UFC and so many people said he'd be quickly booted out and sent back to fake wrasslin'.

Well, he "Veni, vidi, vici". He came, he saw, he conquered....and he defended the UFC HW strap.

Skill didn't cause Lesnar to leave the UFC, diverticulitis did.

Reem and sadly I was riding on his hype train

The fuck is a "Hype Drain"... instantly Rampage Evans comes to mind, he sucked.

Vera derailed himself.

UFC offered him a multi-million dollar deal after he beat Frank Mir and he turned it down.

He got stuck in negotiations and never returned to form.

He was always in form, there's just a big difference between the opponents he was facing before the negotiations

I actually think it would probably come in second to Brock Lesnar.

Your definition of a hype train derailment is someone selling 600k ppv buys, then selling 625k, and then breaking a million 4 times in a row?

Some derailment.

Your definition of a hype train derailment is someone selling 600k ppv buys, then selling 625k, and then breaking a million 4 times in a row?

Some derailment.

PPV sales have absolutely nothing to do with it. We're talking fight performance expectation not draws. Brock is the undisputed king of MMA PPV and will probably never be matched.

Conor only realistically has this next Siver fight to get the "hype train derailed!!1" treatment imo, losing to Aldo is hardly the end of the world.

reem was a bigger hype trail derailment case than brock

Conor only realistically has this next Siver fight to get the "hype train derailed!!1" treatment imo, losing to Aldo is hardly the end of the world.

I think that is true. I think his performance against Aldo will be crucial. I know many people say Aldo, Frankie, Chad, Lamas etc... will kill Conor but I wonder how many truly believe that. I think most people see Conor and think there is a chance he can be the next elite division champion.

Long story short it's hard to gauge what the mass really expect out of Conor. Certainly to beat Siver in dramatic fashion, but beyond that it's hard to say.

Lesnars fall was coming since the Carwin fight.

Reems jaw derailed his own hype train.

Shogun killed a whole "era" by KO Machida.

Dillashaw and Weidman of course, and maybe Pettis/RDA are responsible for Bendo?

I hate to admit it, but the worst derailment I've seen is Cain/JDS. A lot of people thought Cigano was gonna reign the HW division until he retired, and now nobody wants to see him near a title fight with Cain holding it.

Brock took that title when it was wide open for the taking.

Reem was hyped through the roof, but at least he won some titles in his Uber days.

K-1 (as well as kickboxing) wasn't in it's golden years when he won it though. Kinda like Brock.

Brock took that title when it was wide open for the taking.

Reem was hyped through the roof, but at least he won some titles in his Uber days.

K-1 (as well as kickboxing) wasn't in it's golden years when he won it though. Kinda like Brock.

I'm curious what real K1 fans' perception of Reem was when he was first signed to fight Hari. I only loosely followed the elite K1 guys but just remember being surprised how well Reem did in K1.

wouldnt call it the biggest, or even really much of a hype train(Besides him trying to hype himself.)

But cerrone Shut jury down in good fashion. that was fun to watch.

Back