Biggest Hype Drain Derailment

not to mention that Dana White was claiming Brock was the "Baddest man on the planet". In my opinion he wasnt anywhere close to being such with such a short career. I was very surprised as to how well Brock did and became a fan after first being a (for lack of better term) hater.

Can I just ask you what makes you think he is not "great".. Not proved to be great yet.. I would understand as a statement. But how do you KNOW, he is not great? What has suggested otherwise, id love to see. Did you see the rising where he smashed athletic records, scientifically.

Every year a fighter comes along and Sherdog praises his name to the moon and back. Do I really need to name certain fighters? Conor looks to be no different and I've never believed him to be anything special. If he can continue his success he will have my eating my words, but until then I think he's another hype job that has once again been filled by so many people on his site.

Don't know if anyone has said this already, but Arlovski's 3rd fight against Tim Sylvia I think got hyped to shit for the budget at the time. Behind the scene vids etc. Then he fucking lost and career derailed from then. I thought they would have learned there lesson.

Arlovski is high on my list because I personally fell for his hype twice. I couldn't believe that Sylvia beat him...twice, and then his epic decline in Strikeforce post Fedor was ridiculous to me. Yet here we are full circle and he has wins over 3 guys in the top 10.

Uriah hall losing to kelvin who was the last pick on TUF. Now we know that kelvin is a beast but at the time it was crazy.

I've been guilty of letting the UFC marketing machine delude me into thinking a fight was going to be better than it could possibly be - on NUMEROUS occasions. But the one and only time I ever completely tuned out the hype was GSP vs. Dan Hardy. SO my vote goes for Hardy being the most hyped fighter of all time.

For guys who were supposed to dominate in the UFC I'd say Cro Cop/Gonzaga and Overeem/Big Foot were pretty big derailments.

In terms of already established big names, not UFC hyped, its gotta be Cro Cop

As much as I really liked the guy and he WAS a monster in Pride

he was a bust in the UFC without doubt

I remember leading up to that Cain-Lesnar fight. There was a guy at the bar who there was no way in hell Cain could win. He said he was an ex boxer and Brock had more reach and throws straight punches verses Cain has less reach and throws more hooks.

I was rooting for Cain hard because I like him a lot. After the fight I went to go look for that guy to see his reaction and looked at me calmly and said "Yeah, I changed my mind when I saw them warming up, I knew Cain would win".

Lesnar beat 2 all timers (Mir/ Couture)
Beat a certified bad-ass (Carwin)

Then he almost died form a crazy infection/ disease and had to put his career on hold

LOL at anybody who thinks Lesnar was "hype"

Biggest hype train derailment probably Barao

I aint gonna lie.

I thought David "The Crow" Loiseau was going to be a beast after his first 3 fights in the UFC. Then Franklin got a hold of him and beat the hype right out of him.

About Crocop... huge fan and couldn't wait for him to get the UFC belt.

But in insight, after a long and successful career in K1 followed by another long PRIDE run (he also apparently had a bunch of boxing matches, but I only saw one), it was asking a bit too much to run through the UFC as well...

Oh well, at least nobody can say "Told you so!!!" since we ALL believed that he would destroy the HW division.

Also, seems like no one talks about Glover anymore?
He used to hard legions of "Die Hard Fans" who promptly removed him from their sig after the Jones fight...

Funny how originally, Glover was know only for being the only black mark ("most likely a fluke!") on another huge hype train: Sokoudjou's.
After smashing the 2 best LHWs from BTT under 2 mins, it was hard not to be impressed.
Hard to think that he is now 16-12 (I think?) against lesser competition...

Most newbies don't even know who they are, but Zelg "Benkei" Galesic and Marius "Whitemare" Zaromskis both had insane amount of hype on Sherdog, both touted as "Lil'Crocop" for a while.
Still a fan of both guys, very exciting strikers.
Interesting that Michael "Venom" Page, the most hyped fighter in the Contenders, comes from the same camp as Benkei.
Both strikers with crazy moves.
But Page's ground game has not been tested yet...

RF

Last edited:
He has five wins as a pro fighter. Most fighters have more wins than that before they even get to the UFC. He was fast tracked and beat a way over the hill natural LHW fighter.

Again, this is relative. It's easy now to say that Brock wasn't hype, but prior the the Cain fight he was literally being touted as the best UFC HW of all time...with 5 wins.

Most fighters don't fight former champions in their second pro fight or fight (and beat) three top-5 opponents in a row in fights four through six.

Calling Randy Couture "a way over the hill natural LHW fighter" is pure revisionist bullshit as he was fresh off of dominating Tim Sylvia (who at the time was 23-2 and gunning for his third straight title defense) and Gabriel Gonzaga (who had just brutally KO'd Cro Cop - the guy who was supposed to come in and make a mockery of the UFC HW Division).

Was he the best HW ever? Of course not. But the whole "BROCK ONLY HAS FIVE WINS!!!" thing is just so disingenuous (as if it would have been better/more admirable for him to take a bunch of gimmie fights before and after he joined the UFC to pad his record).

il23RPKthxpiw.gif

travis-browne-2.gif

Ben%2BRothwell%2BKnockouts%2BAlistair%2BOvereem%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B50.gif

Most fighters don't fight former champions in their second pro fight or fight (and beat) three top-5 opponents in a row in fights four through six.

Calling Randy Couture "a way over the hill natural LHW fighter" is pure revisionist bullshit as he was fresh off of dominating Tim Sylvia (who at the time was 23-2 and gunning for his third straight title defense) and Gabriel Gonzaga (who had just brutally KO'd Cro Cop - the guy who was supposed to come in and make a mockery of the UFC HW Division).

Was he the best HW ever? Of course not. But the whole "BROCK ONLY HAS FIVE WINS!!!" thing is just so disingenuous (as if it would have been better/more admirable for him to take a bunch of gimmie fights before and after he joined the UFC to pad his record).

Couture cashed in on the same weak status of the division that Brock and Carwin did (until they had to fight the real contenders of the division). No one is saying that Couture isn't one of the best fighters ever but he and Zuffa saw how weak the division was and put himself in that fray because he knew he could capitalize. People like to throw all logic out the window because Randy had a belt on his waist at the time and neglect to consider what it took to get it and what kind of threat Randy truly was at HW during that time. If Randy was in his prime today he wouldn't even consider fighting at HW; it would be considered insanity.

And Brock having 5 wins is fact. He had an unprecedented high level of competition during those 5 fights, but he still only won 5 times and was heralded as the best HW of all time and potentially unbeatable. Then promptly got destroyed by the real best HW in the division and then dismantled by a non-top 10 hw fighter.

Again, this is not about fighters who ended up not being good. This is about fighters who did not meet expectations, even those fighters perhaps given unrealistic expectations like Lesnar.

If I went back to August 2010 and told you that Brock would be TKO'd in historically lopsided first round losses and retire in his next two fights you would have thought I was insane.

Daniel Cormier for all the chit he said he would do and wound op not doing to Jones.

As my favorite fighter by far, it makes me sad to have to admit that Crocop was a pretty big derailment.

I seem to remember Brandon Vera having a pretty big hype behind him as well.

Vera derailed himself.

UFC offered him a multi-million dollar deal after he beat Frank Mir and he turned it down.

He got stuck in negotiations and never returned to form.

Back