Biggest Hype Drain Derailment

At least Huerta came in and starting building his own Hype train.....CroCop can in with a big following and got CropCop'ed by Gonzaga.....there was no fixing that train after that.

It wasn't trolling at all. Half of the Conor hype right now is trolling. Most of Hunt's recent hype was trolling. Brock was different. People truly believed he was an unstoppable force and that after Cain no one could touch him except maybe Fedor. The idea that Brock would be TKO'd in the first round in his next two bouts and never fight again would seem completely insane back in 2010.

It's all bullshit though because at least Brock accomplished something....none of the others did. Therefore it is a poor example.

Cain is currently de-railing his own train right now...the dude injuries himself while brushing his teeth....

Kimbo, by far. I know that the diehards never were really on board, but the Kimbo talk was off the charts at one point and many of the teenagers who touted him were convinced he could beat anybody. And then he rode the wave of EliteXC and Showtime, on to network TV...and then Seth derailed the train.

As my favorite fighter by far, it makes me sad to have to admit that Crocop was a pretty big derailment.

I seem to remember Brandon Vera having a pretty big hype behind him as well.

So many hype trains have come and gone. One of the biggest will be Conor when he loses. He is good but not great.

Can I just ask you what makes you think he is not "great".. Not proved to be great yet.. I would understand as a statement. But how do you KNOW, he is not great? What has suggested otherwise, id love to see. Did you see the rising where he smashed athletic records, scientifically.

It never happened.

Did you see his last fight?

Can-buckling-crush-loop.gif

It's all bullshit though because at least Brock accomplished something....none of the others did. Therefore it is a poor example.

Cain is currently de-railing his own train right now...the dude injuries himself while brushing his teeth....

Cro Cop accomplished a hell of a lot too yet you you say, and I agree, that he was a huge derailment because he did not meet the expectations. That's the point. Cro Cop's hype coming into the UFC was 0 resistance to holding the belt for as long as it took for Fedor to come over. He didn't even come close to that.

Brock's hype was the same. The fact that he had a belt is a statistic. I'm not saying he was not a good fighter, because he was. I'm not saying he didn't achieve quicker than most any other fighter because he did. What I'm saying is that he did not meet expectations at all.

It's like what people say about Machida. No one would ever say that he isn't one of the best LHW of all time, but he had an amazing derailment because people believed he was the next coming of LHW royalty. Or Overeem who is accomplished yet couldn't even fight for the belt.

Kimbo, by far. I know that the diehards never were really on board, but the Kimbo talk was off the charts at one point and many of the teenagers who touted him were convinced he could beat anybody. And then he rode the wave of EliteXC and Showtime, on to network TV...and then Seth derailed the train.

Yeah that one got shut down pretty quickly on TUF though...

Cro Cop accomplished a hell of a lot too yet you you say, and I agree, that he was a huge derailment because he did not meet the expectations. That's the point. Cro Cop's hype coming into the UFC was 0 resistance to holding the belt for as long as it took for Fedor to come over. He didn't even come close to that.

Brock's hype was the same. The fact that he had a belt is a statistic. I'm not saying he was not a good fighter, because he was. I'm not saying he didn't achieve quicker than most any other fighter because he did. What I'm saying is that he did not meet expectations at all.

It's like what people say about Machida. No one would ever say that he isn't one of the best LHW of all time, but he had an amazing derailment because people believed he was the next coming of LHW royalty. Or Overeem who is accomplished yet couldn't even fight for the belt.

Hard to say what his illness had to do with it though...same as Shane Carwin.

Brock was derailed?

He won the title and defended it twice....

Don't know if anyone has said this already, but Arlovski's 3rd fight against Tim Sylvia I think got hyped to shit for the budget at the time. Behind the scene vids etc. Then he fucking lost and career derailed from then. I thought they would have learned there lesson.

Back