Biggest fight in UFC history?

spigob11

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Remember, I'm not asking what the best fight was. What was the biggest? Was it Griffin vs. Bonnar 1, Rampage vs. Henderson, Silva vs. Henderson? I'm leaning towards St-Pierre vs. Penn 2. This fight was the only time we ever had 2 current UFC champions fight each other, and because of this fight they came out with UFC: Primetime. What do you think?

liddell silva

Not even close.

Not sure what the biggest ufc fight is. Penn vs GSP II would be my immediate answer. As far as MMA goes, nothing matched fedor vs crocop.

from the MMA dark ages;
Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock I
Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddell I
BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes I
Georges St Pierre vs Matt Hughes I
BJ Penn vs Georges St Pierre I

If we're talking about fights post-UFC 60 there's multiple answers.

Griffin vs. Bonnar 1 this is the 1 and only correct answer it is consider and constantly mention in pressers and always unwavering answer by all UFC brass is this fight. It is the fight that broke the UFC main stream and the brass feels without it they would have had a much longer road to were they are right now. Not even debatable.

Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar (TUF 1 finale)

This fight made The Ultimate Fighter what it is today.
It also landed them both in the UFC Hall of Fame.

There is no such a thing. This just makes the sport looks small. Imagine the biggest basketball game or soccer game, there isn't.

St Pierre vs Penn II
Liddel vs Rampage
Liddel vs Captain America II

These are the ones that stick out in my mind the most.

Griffen vs Bonnar may have been the most important fight because it helped usher in the new age of mainstream MMA, but it wasn't the biggest. By biggest, we need to look towards the most highly anticipated fights of all time.

EDIT: Even though it wasn't in the UFC, the most anticipated fight of all time was Fedor vs Cro Cop.

Griffin vs. Bonnar 1 this is the 1 and only correct answer it is consider and constantly mention in pressers and always unwavering answer by all UFC brass is this fight. It is the fight that broke the UFC main stream and the brass feels without it they would have had a much longer road to were they are right now. Not even debatable.

Yes, it was the most important fight, but i dont think thats what ts is getting at. I think he means the biggest in terms of popularity and viewership.

The top 5 selling ppvs are:

1) UFC 100 - 1,600,000 buys

2) UFC 116: Lesnar vs Carwin - 1,116,000 buys

3) (tied) UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz

Griffin/Bonnar

Still fun to watch too.

Bonnar robbed X2

Randy vs Tim (hmmm... close, but not biggest fight)

As much as I hate to say it... probably a fucking Brock fight...(shake head in disgust)

Anderson vs Sonnen was a big deal too

I agree. GSP vs Penn 2 was the biggest fight for me in UFC history. I remember the whole night. It was a huge event. Loved it.

Yes, it was the most important fight, but i dont think thats what ts is getting at. I think he means the biggest in terms of popularity and viewership.

The top 5 selling ppvs are:

1) UFC 100 - 1,600,000 buys

2) UFC 116: Lesnar vs Carwin - 1,116,000 buys

3) (tied) UFC 158: St-Pierre vs Diaz

honestly brock vs Randy had UUUGE hype and I think from a fans perspective the first cain vs jds fight had huge juice to it too.
penn-gsp II was huge.
Tito-Shamrock I and II were huge back in the day.
Arlovski-timmay I was huge.
Rampage-Rashad was HUGE.
Chuck-Wanderlei was a huge fight.
Both Chael-Anderson fights were friggin enormous for the fans.

It always depends of course.

In terms of MMA legacy GSP vs Penn II and Anderson vs Henderson. They fought in their prime as champions, so it`s a no brainer.

GSP WW Champ vs Penn LW Champ
Anderson MW Champ vs Henderson Pride WW Champ

In terms of past prime.

Chuck vs Wand, Couture vs Minotauro, Royce vs Hughes

BIGGEST FIGHT IN HISTORY

Fedor vs Crocop. The fight that MMA hardcore fans had wet dreams about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back