Biggest bust in MMA free agent history?

If he lost, that means he fought tough competition. Which means he made the perfect decision instead of fighting cans (if he signed elsewhere).

There's a lot of factors one needs to take into consideration if one's making What-If scenarios of historical revisionism. I mean, Overeem was a DREAM fighter who only came to Strikeforce because SF and DREAM made a copromotion/cross-over deal. Since Zuffa doesn't co-promote, you wouldn't have seen him cross over (and face Fedor). Antonio Silva too would still be in Sengoku, since he switched to SF during the HW WGP, which itself would not have happened if Fedor (and Overeem, who was K-1/Dream champ) didn't cross-over.

Fedor was not a bust for Strikeforce. It make more people interested in their product. It also helped Coker get some cash from the buyout.

I love Fedor but going 1-3 in SF meant he was abust for them, especially how hyped he was coming in.

If he lost, that means he fought tough competition. Which means he made the perfect decision instead of fighting cans (if he signed elsewhere).

There's a lot of factors one needs to take into consideration if one's making What-If scenarios of historical revisionism. I mean, Overeem was a DREAM fighter who only came to Strikeforce because SF and DREAM made a copromotion/cross-over deal. Since Zuffa doesn't co-promote, you wouldn't have seen him cross over (and face Fedor). Antonio Silva too would still be in Sengoku, since he switched to SF during the HW WGP, which itself would not have happened if Fedor (and Overeem, who was K-1/Dream champ) didn't cross-over.

What does any of that have to do with his run in Strikeforce? A bust means someone that did not live up to their contract.

UFC it had to be Cro Cop
Stirkeforce was Fedor
Bellator will be Tito and Rampage
Pride doesn't really have anybody off the top of my head

People already, or should, know where Rampage and Tito are at in their careers. They just bring name recognition to the promotion. I highly doubt Bellator brought them over thinking they would be top level competitors.

Helped Strikeforce so much they no longer exist.

Before Fedor came along, SF was airing its events on HDNet. In Fedor's first match, they aired on CBS.

Fedor brought attention to both companies he fought for, it was other factors that led to their demise. For Affliction it was the lack of replacement for their third event (and the realization how much of a headache it can be for a company with limited roster), and for SF it was their main stakeholder pulling out. Both companies were otherwise profitable, Affliction even doing 100k PPV buys some of the best numbers outside the UFC.

What does any of that have to do with his run in Strikeforce? A bust means someone that did not live up to their contract.

Oh, my bad. I thought OP meant by "bust" like "he sucked" or something.

UFC it had to be Cro Cop
Stirkeforce was Fedor
Bellator will be Tito and Rampage
Pride doesn't really have anybody off the top of my head

Pride to me was a bust. That's where all UFC retirees went to pasture.

Fedor was not a bust for Strikeforce. It make more people interested in their product. It also helped Coker get some cash from the buyout.

He was expected to run through everyone in the stacked SF HW division. He was a huge SF bust

Before Fedor came along, SF was airing its events on HDNet. In Fedor's first match, they aired on CBS.

Fedor brought attention to both companies he fought for, it was other factors that led to their demise. For Affliction it was the lack of replacement for their third event (and the realization how much of a headache it can be for a company with limited roster), and for SF it was their main stakeholder pulling out. Both companies were otherwise profitable, Affliction even doing 100k PPV buys some of the best numbers outside the UFC.

Dude SVSE and the partnership didn't roll over because they hated making money.

Scott Coker was widely reported as frantically trying to stop what was tantamount to a hostile takeover. That was reported across all legitimate MMA media. He couldn't convince his financial partners to stay or attract new ones to take their place - that doesn't spell solvency.

Josh Gross reported that Coker went to some lengths to stop the sale:
Sources confirmed Coker, the current Strikeforce CEO, attempted to wrest control of the brand, but in the end was unsuccessful. Instead, an agreement to sell Strikeforce's licensing rights, fighter contracts and video library closed with the UFC on Thursday or Friday.

Dave Meltzer has asserted that it was the Fedor contract that forced Strikeforce to seek outside financing on his radio show.

Fedor's original three fight deal included a third fight on Pay Per View, but his loss to Fabricio Werdum last year killed that prospect. The original plan was for Fedor to fight twice on CBS and then fight his final fight on PPV. For whatever reason after doing quite well on CBS against Brett Rogers, Fedor held out and skipped Strikeforce's April 2010 CBS show. I've seen speculation that Fedor was injured and his management at M-1 Global chose to extort Strikeforce for more contractual concessions rather than just sitting out until Fedor recovered. Fedor's absence from the April CBS show not only doomed that event to terrible ratings, but his subsequent loss to Fabricio Werdum on a June 2010 Showtime card meant that a Fedor vs Alistair Overeem heavyweight championship bout on PPV would not happen.
Fedor's subsequent loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of Strikeforce's heavyweight tournament in February would seem to have been the last straw, pushing Strikeforce's entry into PPV back even further.

Cro Cop unfortunately :(

I hyped him to my buddies, then the Gonzaga head kick KO happened............

King mo bellator
Kim yammamoto, gilbert yvel, gomi, homonick, wanderlei silva
Monson, fedor, arlovski strikeforce

With a good chance of Lombard getting cut with a loss as well as the Reem coming up, I was wondering who do you think is the biggest bust of any MMA free agency signing? Those 3 are up there but for me is easily Fedor. Marketed as the best HW alive the goes 1-3 and is finished in every fight. The last loss to Hendo was preceded by his release and the lone win was Brett Rogers ......ouch.

Well, his record in SF obviously wasn't that great, however

a) all 3 losses were to top 10 studs
b) More important than his record was his impact on SF - by signing him they went from regional footnote to strong #2 org, and even better than the UFC in some respects. He got SF attention, legitimacy, top fighters signing up to face him, 2 important TV deals...They got a lot out of his presence, regardless of wins.

Back