Biggest breakthrough/coming-out fighter in 2016

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Guys who were nobodies but came out of nowhere.

Joe Smith - KO'd Fonfara on NBC, KO'd Hopkins on HBO. 1 win away from WBC Title.

Oscar Valdez - KOd Gradovich on HBO PPV, KO'd Rueda on HBO, KO'd Osawa on HBO. Now has world Title.

Sergey Lipinetz - KO'd Gvamichava on FS1, KO'd Castillo on ESPN, KO'd Zappa on Showtime. Next fight for world Title.

I left Errol Spence and Anthony Joshua out because they already had high stock coming into the year.

Usyk, Corrales, Jermall Charlo, and Frampton deserve some attention. Other than maybe Corrales, none were nobodies going into the year, but they took big steps up.

Usyk, Corrales, Jermall Charlo, and Frampton deserve some attention. Other than maybe Corrales, none were nobodies going into the year, but they took big steps up.
This is the answer. Corrales is the choice for me IMO, since he came out of nowhere.

This is the answer. Corrales is the choice for me IMO, since he came out of nowhere.
You talking about Jezreel?

Because he only had 1 win in 2016 and I feel like he's about to get #murked in the rematch

Maybe Charlo or Frampton. Likely Frampton for me. He wasn't on my radar before this year, but I was already anticipating something good from the Charlo brothers.

Usyk, Smith, or Valdez are all good options imo. Think I'd go with Valdez.

Trey-lippe or however the fuck you spell that

Carl Frampton. He wasn't a nobody, but he certainly had his coming out party this year with his last two fights. I did not think a whole lot of him before this year, but that LSC fight was awesome.

Valdez started lower and ended lower, but I could see him as the choice depending on the criteria.

what about that guy who beat Donaire?

I'd say Beterbiev but I think most people considered him a breakout of last year.

Back