Biggest BJJ book?

l33tor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking to buy a jiu jitsu book that had a lot of different submissions, sweeps etc... more like a complete encyclopedia.

I train BJJ only once a week and I wanted something that I could read about and try to master in my head and then apply to my opponents when I have them in all the different BJJ positions.

I'm a looking for a book that has moves for a lot of different situations. Does any one know any books like this I could maybe order off Amazon?

I think Helio has a book like that not really sure. But you know what, go for quality not quantity.

Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu university.

That is all.

Really.

It's the only book you will need for a long long time.

Double - Ahh I remember when that sorta thing still happened.

Last edited:
I put a second vote for Saulo Jiu jitsu university. There are other books out there such as the encyclopedia book you mention with more techniques but Saulo's book put everything into perspective better for a beginner.

If you have the money get the Rigan Machado books. You will get lost for days, months. i think Rigan has the best books, but they are not color so some people automatically look past it. Forget all that fancy crap, Rigan is a MONSTER on the mat. (So is Saulo). If you need more of a mind prep, intro to bjj's philosophy, yes Saulos book might be what your looking for. If you understand BJJ and need to look over tactics, and visualize movements in your head, Rigans books are the way to go.

Rigan scares me. :icon_sad:

I actually read bjj books during my downtime between clients (personal trainer). Everyone will put Saulo's book at or near the top. Lately, Passing The Guard is my favorite bjj book to study...it's part of a series and this one is the most helpful to me right now. Royler's Submission Grappling book is pretty good too for no gi game.

Amazon.com: Passing the Guard: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Details and Techniques (Revised and Expanded Second Edition) (9780972109765): Ed Beneville, Tim Cartmell: Books

back in the day

there used to be two books that literally contained EVERYTHING

one was called

the fighters notebook
the other
Bas Rutten's Big Book of Combat or something like that
that was a monstrosity

Mastering the Rubber Guard by Eddie Bravo.

. . .

:icon_lol:

I've always heard that size didn't matter as much as quality. Is there any truth to that?

/blonde

:) Sorry dude, you set yourself up for the cheap shot. :redface:

Jiu Jitsu University is the best BJJ technique book written so far

Saulo's book is nearly all you will need, but as you progress the depth of understanding of his techniques improves. You polish your basics rahter than learn a thousand new sweeps, subs and what not. I made this mistake, dont follow my lead.

+1 for Saulo's book.

I also like Galvao's "Drill to Win" a lot, but it's more movement based rather than technique-focused. You will learn a lot going through it though.

Back