Bigger Upset Forrest vs Shane or Forrest Mayuorga

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And how do you rate Vernon. He best Shane,Mora and a couple of solid names but no bigger than beating Shane. So he doesn't rate high with me

def forrest shane, shane was the 1 pfp at the time.

Pretty hard to chose. Shane was rated extremely high at the time (#1 P4P on many lists). People who were paying attention knew Forrest was legit but nobody expected him to dominate like that. Outside of the Six Heads KO Mayorga kinda came out of nowhere.

IMO the bigger upset was Forrest-Mayorga. Forrest-Mosley was the higher profile upset.

Bump now that the Pac Upset noise calm down a bit

Mayorga.

Forrest had owned Shane in the amateurs twice.
Mosley camp knew he’d be a tough outing.

Mayorga was a huge underdog. Everyone thought Forrest would coast or end him comfortably.

They knew he had power, but he was so reckless and poor fundamentals.
It was a huge upset.

Mayorga.

Forrest had owned Shane in the amateurs twice.
Mosley camp knew he’d be a tough outing.

Mayorga was a huge underdog. Everyone thought Forrest would coast or end him comfortably.

They knew he had power, but he was so reckless and poor fundamentals.
It was a huge upset.
His corner told him to go toe to toe with Mayorga too

but he definitely won the rematch (imo)

Mayorga. A glorified pub brawler beats the hell out of the guy who defeated the best boxer around.

Mayorga. A glorified pub brawler beats the hell out of the guy who defeated the best boxer around.
at the time I was new to boxing and they were talking about Forrest like he was a future great as he had won fighter of the year by beating Mosley twice, then a smack talking cigar smoking Nicaraguan with bad skin obliterated him, I couldn't believe it. We couldn't believe it even, I was watching with my mum :)

And how do you rate Vernon. He best Shane,Mora and a couple of solid names but no bigger than beating Shane. So he doesn't rate high with me
Forrest was just a guy who had Shane's number. They knew each other as competitors before they were pros.

Shane was special against mexican style fighters. Just look at his resume. He was one of JCC's chief sparring partners for a while and trained with the Ruelas brothers and Oscar. He had a blend of that mexican style with a dash of slick boxing and it was enough to make him special vs mexican fighters. He struggles against other styles.

Forrest never really matched those wins over Shane. I think it was just a bad match up for Mosley.

Vernon was a fantastic fighter, great jab and fundamentals, good power. Unfortunately for him those Mayorga losses put a stop to all the hype he had after beating Shane and his career never reached where it should have IMO. Also remember he had a lot of injury troubles post-Mayorga that kept him out of the ring and IMO he was never truly the same after.

Mayorga was a 6-1 underdog to beat Vernon, and Vernon was a 7-1 underdog to beat Mosley, so I guess officially Vernon/Mosley was the biggest upset.

Back