Bigger Upset: Dillashaw vs Barao or Serra vs GSP?

Joker Jiujitsu

Free toy in my Happy Meal
@Brown
Reaction score
Which fight was the biggest championship upset in your guys' minds?

I had a feeling similar to when Edgar beat BJ the second time. It was just pretty surreal seeing Barao get outclassed everywhere. But Dillashaw actually FINISHED Renan in a shocking way, and it wasn't off one punch that got Barao off-balance like Serra did against GSP. It was an entire fight of domination.

I think I was more shocked overall by Dillashaw vs. Barao because TJ was never in trouble whatsoever and looked to be the better man regardless of where the fight went. Serra got GSP with a big punch and made him tap to ground and pound, but I still knew going into the rematch that St Pierre would destroy him. In this case, I don't know if Renan can mount a successful comeback and beat Dillashaw, or if he's in a similar situation to JDS against Cain Velasquez.

Serra vs GSP was probably a bigger upset but with the way it went down, Dillishaw vs Barao was even more of a surprise. If that makes sense? Everyone knows a guy always has a puncher's chance and that's what Serra cashed in on vs GSP. He landed one big shot that led to the win.

On the other hand, Dillishaw dominated Barao which I don't think anyone saw coming.

Tj nobody nobody gave TJ a chance was GSP back then wasnt crown n1 p4p

not really comparable cuz GSP got caught, while Boroa was lit up like christmas tree from the get go. So Serra/GSP is the bigger upset, but the actual domination is what surprised most people.

IMO Barao/TJ is bigger because it was a 20+min beat down whereas Serra/GSP was one great strike that landed which I think is not as crazy.

TJ/Barao is much bigger. People were just more surprised GSP lost, but not surprised he couldn't take a punch as he was always gun shy when it comes to exchanging fists. It's the reason so many GSP fights have been boring over the years, gun shy.

Not even a question... Serra was clearly outmatched I actually gave TJ a pretty good chance, actually bet on it. I would never bet on Serra to win against GSP and the crazy upset was even more clear in the rematch.

Serra vs GSP was probably a bigger upset but with the way it went down, Dillishaw vs Barao was even more of a surprise. If that makes sense? Everyone knows a guy always has a puncher's chance and that's what Serra cashed in on vs GSP. He landed one big shot that led to the win.

On the other hand, Dillishaw dominated Barao which I don't think anyone saw coming.

I agree with this. Had Dillashaw finished Barao after that punch in the first I would have been less shocked than seeing Dillashaw completely outclass Barao.

In terms of result, GSP vs Serra, but a sudden victory from a massive underdog is less surprising than 5 rounds of total domination.

The time it happened- TJ over Barao (TJ bigger underdog that Serra was)

Historical perspective- Serra over GSP/ GSP being a top 3 all time made that upset even bigger

It really boils down to what surprises you more- Being caught with one good punch and getting finished or getting dominated for the entire fight with skill and technique. I'm still just kind of in shock to what I witnessed. However, this probably is NOT the last we see of Barao. He'll take this defeat to heart and come back even better.

The BW division just got a lot more exciting

GSP/SERRA was bigger because TJ has a bright future. everyone has been saying the kid is talented but he was just a bit young and maybe 2 years away from the title. we expected him to be a top guy, just not yet. Serra on the other hand was never a top guy. He was a bottom tier guy who got lucky. He won a game show for his shot that he NEVER would have earned otherwise.

nothing will ever top serra destroying gsp. nothing. the guy was half gsp's size, for crying out loud.

Back