Bigger upset - Correia beating Rousey or Serra beating GSP?

If Bethe beats the shit out of Ronda Rousey I might even start enjoying W"MMA"...just kidding of course, it's for the purpose of the post, I would never like such garbage.

GSP/Serra Yeah serra had bombs but GSP was a killer back then. Serra robbed us of the killer GSP.

Serra vs. GSP because WMMA doesn't count [/post Brock Sherdogger]

well considering ronda was named most dominate female athlete and fighter of the year recently, her losing would move more needles

Bethe beating Ronda would be a bigger upset because Serra was a beastly powerful puncher, black belt and 8 year MMA veteran when he beat GSP and Bethe Correia is none of those things, but I'll say this - Ronda Rousey hasn't yet proven to have competent striking defense in MMA. There's nothing to say that she couldn't get caught with a punch on the chin or behind the ear or something.

As Ronda herself said, she is an underdog in the quest to go undefeated. We live in a world in which Chael Sonnen was thirty seconds from being champion twice. Anything can happen. But Rousey vs Correaia is as close to a lock as any fight I have ever seen.

Bethe surviving the first round would be a big upset.

Ehhhh this is kind of like comparing major leagues to AAA baseball. Even worse than that. A fair comparison just can't be made.

As Ronda herself said, she is an underdog in the quest to go undefeated.

She's really not though. Seems like she'd be a pretty moderate favorite to retire undefeated.

Interesting topic. I stay behind GSP losing to Serra as the bigger upset if Correia somehow finds a way to win Saturday.

I remembered GSP's loss different then any other fight I've ever watched. I'm not a GSP fan, but I was left contemplating for days afterwards on just how it happened.

If Correia defeats Rousey, I don't believe I will think past "hey we've never seen Rousey deal with adversity in the octagon."

The men's divisions are much closer in skill level, whereas Ronda >> every WBW

Matt Serra is a legit black belt with big power in his punches. That alone is a higher skillset than any female in MMA history.

Bethe winning would be a bigger upset in my eyes.

At least Serra had that big power and he had that punchers chance. Bethe doesn't even have that. Her fundamentals aren't that good and she doesn't have that crack behind her punches. I literally see no way she wins this fight other than maybe a freak injury. And I say maybe because I think injured Ronda still wins.

Bethe would be a much bigger upset.

In WMMA there's much, much less of "a puncher's chance" since the KO power isn't there.

I don't think there will ever be a bigger upset than Serra beating GSP. Serra was a journeyman MMA fighter that won a TUF comeback show, over mediocre veteran fighters. GSP was this young phenom, who just mopped the floor with the WW GOAT in Hughes.. Nobody probably not even Serra's mom, thought he could win..

Going to have to go with Bethe beating Ronda being the biggest upset in MMA history (as long as it's not some wacky DQ or something).

I know theres been a fee threads about how much of an upset it would be, but if you had to pick one, which would you count as the biggest upset?

Would be good if a mod could turn this into a poll?

For me i think Bethe winning would be the bigger upset. Serra had a 'punchers chance', but Correia hasn't shown she has much KO power so far, plus her being a woman, and 35 pounds lighter than welterweight, i wouldnt even say she has much of a punchers chance.

Nobody who was an MMA fan in the mid 2000s would take this question seriously. Look at Serra's resume pre-GSP, and consider how he fought against Penn. It's becoming one of the most frustrating MMA myths that Serra was some non-entity scrub
The guy was a legit proven top fighter, light years ahead of someone like Correia who has basically beaten the 2 worst fighters in the worst division in MMA.

Serra felt like more of a live underdog to me.

I thought his chances were being understated when that fight was set. I don't feel that way about Bethe.

Back