Bigger Size Difference? Tito/Storm or Jones/Sonnen

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by jamesgalb, May 18, 2014.

1. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

Is it really even in question? Seriously...? Anyone complaining about Tito/Storm was surely up in arms about Jones/Sonnen, right?

Two major differences though...

-Jones was in the prime of his championship career when he decided to take on a Middleweight.
    -Sonnen wasn't a young champion coming off of a long winning streak, he was 36 coming off a loss.

Anyone who is crying about size can save their breath. Before this fight took place, MOST people favored Storm...

Jon Jones towered over Chael Sonnen and that fight was a fight by a PRIME p4p champion... But when a 39 year old ex-champ wants to fight a young champion of equal size differences, people cry? Please...

Unless you are on record bitching about BOTH the Ortiz mis-match last week, and the Jones mis-match before, then quit your hypocritical crying now.

---------

Tito Ortiz
    Height: 6'2"
    Reach: 74"

Alexander Shlemenko
    Height: 5'11"
    Reach: 70.5"

---------

Jon Jones
    Height: 6'4"
    Reach: 84.5"

Chael Sonnen
    Height: 6'1"

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. JustinvR

JustinvR Brown Belt

Shlemenko vs Tito had a way bigger size difference. Jones isn't as big as his haters say and Sonnen weighed around 217. Tito probably weighed close to 230lbs and Storm weighed 202lbs.

3. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

are you serious?

Jones is 6'4" and weighs 225lbs come fight night - Sonnen is 6'1" and weighs 215-220lbs on fight night

vs

Tito 6'2" 225-230lbs - Storm 5'11" (my ass he is that tall) and 200lbs.

yeah i'll go with Tito/Storm.

4. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

Tito Ortiz
    Height: 6'2"

Alexander Shlemenko
    Height: 5'11"
    Reach: 70.5"

---------

Jon Jones
    Height: 6'4"
    Reach: 84.5"

Chael Sonnen
    Height: 6'1"

---------

LOL. Go ahead and act like Ortiz vs Shlemenko was somehow more of a mis-match. Denial is STRONG.

Ortiz fought a younger champion on a winning streak with only 3" of height and 3" of reach.

Jones fought a guy 10+ years older with 10+" less reach, coming off of a loss.

5. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

ahhhhhh gotcha. this is a reach thread.

6. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

rofl. Ignore the height difference, the age difference, the reach difference, and the overall size difference, and try to make this into a topic about something you think you can make 'trivial' (like 7 inches of reach in a 'size' thread, lmao).

Move along moron.

Jon Jones towered over Chael Sonnen and that fight was a JOKE by a PRIME p4p champion... But when a 39 year old ex-champ wants to fight a young champion of equal size differences, people cry? Please...

7. JustinvR

JustinvR Brown Belt

TS, just stop pls.

8. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

an idiot who starts a retarded thread....calls me a moron.

hilarious.

9. PIT FIGHTER

PIT FIGHTER YAMMA Pit Fighter

I will call local sports bars and ask them what they think. You guys should do the same. If they don't know who Tito Ortiz is, mention that he was in Celebrity Apprentice a few years ago.

10. wompuscatwilly

wompuscatwilly Brown Belt

Rory Mac vs BJ Penn looked like a high schooler fighter a kid from junior high

11. Bigj383

Bigj383 Gold Belt

Tito showed what he weighed a while back and he wad at 219. Schlemenko weighed in at 201.

12. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

you and local sports bars :icon_chee

13. RandomForumUser

RandomForumUser White Belt

Ortiz looked like he was two weight classes above Shlemenko. Jones I think always looks way bigger because he has such long limbs but doesn't carry the weight the same as Tito.

14. JMartel

JMartel White Belt

I didn't realize MMA separates divisions by age, height, and reach.

15. Sum

Sum theres a lot of things that can kill a man

Just people trying to cope with the loss with excuses as always.

16. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

We weren't talking Weight Divisions... We were talking about which was the bigger mismatch in terms of size...

If this were a technical weight division discussions, everything would be the exact same for both fights and for all fighters. Neither were size mismatches if you want to try to ignore things with technicalities like weight division limits...

I think you are missing the point of the discussion, feel free to see your way out.

17. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

Yup. Tito haters wanting to hate Tito...

Surprisingly, not even Jones hate can balance it :p

18. Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn Kuiper belt

19. JMartel

JMartel White Belt

No thanks, I'll stick around. It's a fun hobby to point out foolish mistakes made my arrogant internet tough guys.

See, the point you're missing is that MMA separates divisions by weight, and not the other factors you're harping on. There's a reason for this, and it's because weight differences are more important to setting up fair fights than the stats you think are more important. In fact all combat sports seem to use weight for the same reasons.

You can point out other differences all you want, but they aren't nearly as important as the weight differences. You can claim I'm missing the point all you wish, but the reason no one is taking you seriously is because you are missing my point, the common sense one.

When you start a thread about bigger size difference, age shouldn't even be a part of your argument. And if you're going to talk size, you might as well use the size that is used by MMA to separate the talent, instead of the ones that don't matter for divisions like height and reach.

But, continue making a fool of yourself. I don't think I'm the only one enjoying this.

20. jamesgalb

jamesgalb Green Belt

This thread is a response to people claiming Tito was a huge mis-match for Shlemenko. If you would like to say that Tito vs Storm was infact more mis-matched than Jones vs Sonnen then you will need to have something more than the leveling statements of "well weight classes are weight classes". However, if that is all you have to say and you absolutely insist on saying it, then carry on.

Go ahead and find me the differences in size that don't have to do with Height, Reach, etc... If you have actual fight-day weights, that would be perfect. Otherwise I guess we will have to use size measurements and normal weight classes as the only comparisons, crazy concept I know....

Until then, based on your personal weight division discussion, they all fought at 205lbs, and the only size difference between them was 4lbs, so there was clearly no big size differences, am I rite?

(Trick question. If size measurements cant be used to compare Jones to Sonnen and Tito to Storm, and original weigh classes seemingly cant be compared apples to apples or oranges to oranges, then what proof do you offer that Shlemenko was undersized compared to Tito?)