Bigger guys, why do you train BJJ?

no matter how big you are there is always someone bigger

I'm 5'10" and about 265. I train because I love it and it helps to get me in shape.

As a smaller guy, the main selling point of all this submission nonsense is the "allows smaller guys to level the playing field against bigger guys" thing. So what's in it for the bigger guys,

They found out all of us little guys were learning how to kick their ass..... hahaha

First off u train to defend urself from big guys but how are you gonna get them to the ground? I sure as hell wouldn't take someone to the ground if I was alot bigger then them id knock them out. Jiu jitsu is a sport street fighting is alot differen't then throwing armbars up off ur back. Train boxing or muay thai if you want to defend urself.

Well, assuming you're a decent grappler, you should have some technical takedowns in your repertoire.

But why do you assume that the grappler must be the person to take the fight down to the ground? What if you weigh 150 pounds, and a 250 pound dude tackles you to the ground. If the 150 pound guy has no training, he's about to get pummeled. If he does, he's got a much much better chance of finding a positive outcome in a poor situation.

Boxing and muay thai are great martial arts, but again. What happens if that 250 pound dude tackles you to the ground. Years of Muay Thai or Boxing won't help you anymore.

I don't know if I would consider myself 'big', I'm 6' 2" and 218 lbs. To me you have to be at least 300 lbs. to be considered big. But there's always someone bigger, and stronger to deal with. Also BJJ is a fun way to try and stay in shape. I'm not too worried about self defense though. I'm a bit of a gun nut so I have plenty of hardware at home, and when I go out I keep a pistol in my car. I also have a concealed carry permit, so I can carry while walking around if I want to.

your life has to be in danger to justify deadly force, someone punching the shit out of you does not count.

Not in Florida.

On April 26, Governor Jeb Bush SIGNED SB-436, the "Castle Doctrine" into law (Chapter No. 2005-27) It takes effect on October 1, 2005.

The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. [This is an American right repeatedly recognized in Supreme Court gun cases.]

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

Welcome to the Gunshine State. :icon_twis The law isn't a problem for anyone as long as they don't go around assaulting people, or breaking into homes or vehicles though.

I also learned a long time ago to not go places where the need to defend yourself arises.-- you are a shut in?

I have a .45 close at hand most of the time & I'm armed to the teeth at home.-- you ever kill anyone before and do you want killing a person to be the only end to a confrontation you may have? - your life has to be in danger to justify deadly force, someone punching the shit out of you does not count.

Shut in???
Not hardly, I travel the world fairly extensively.
Years ago I used to have problems with drunken bar fights... I quit going to bars & have never seen another drunken bar fight, imagine that. If you don't go places where bad things happen you won't need to defend yourself.
I've been through areas throughout Central & South America where even the locals are afraid to go. I'm aware of my surroundings and what is going on so the need to defend myself doesn't occur. If the need to defend myself does occur then things have degenerated to a point where I've already made the decision to kill. I have no qualms about killing someone, they sort of teach you that when you serve in the Army during a time of war.

Were drunks the only sort of people you could find to socialize with before you started BJJ?

Yes, you see, I'm a terrible anti-social loser with no friends. I practice bjj to force people to hang out with me.

I was just trying to say that most of my non-bjj friends seem to only like to "get fugged up!!!!!" and it is refreshing to have an social outlet not centered on drinking or getting high. Calm yourself.

BJJ is fun that's why I train. If you just wanted to do it for selfe defense you really only need to know the basics. Think about a one or two stripe WB tooling a new guy on day one. I think if you go any longer you are interested in learning the art.

if you train BJJ just to beat up big guys you need to go talk to a professional.
Most of us dont learn any martial art to beat people up
we do it cause its challenging enjoyable adds confidence and fitness
As a big guy thats why I train
Ive also done the TKD freestyle karate Boxing stuff before and this is completely different to anything Ive done before. Do I like crushing people ? No Id rather train with people better than me and in the same size, however As I cant control how big others are Ill take what I can get.

I'm 6'2 230 and I train so I can smash people my own size and bigger. Plus it's a phenominal workout.

Shut in???
Not hardly, I travel the world fairly extensively.
Years ago I used to have problems with drunken bar fights... I quit going to bars & have never seen another drunken bar fight, imagine that. If you don't go places where bad things happen you won't need to defend yourself.
I've been through areas throughout Central & South America where even the locals are afraid to go. I'm aware of my surroundings and what is going on so the need to defend myself doesn't occur. If the need to defend myself does occur then things have degenerated to a point where I've already made the decision to kill. I have no qualms about killing someone, they sort of teach you that when you serve in the Army during a time of war.

lol, what i am saying is that you can never be sure any place is safe.

but if you have to hide behind a gun when someone else is not using a weapon I guess that is fine.

but if you have to hide behind a gun when someone else is not using a weapon I guess that is fine.

It's better then "fine" it's ideal.

I buy firearms and improve my marksmanship because I think it's a fun thing to do. But even if I wasn't into sport shooting, I'd still own & be proficient with a pistol, rifle, and shotgun for practical reasons. When I bring a firearm with me in my vehicle [which I do almost always] , or; on my person somewhere, I do it because if something were to happen it will allow me to defend myself without having to resort to fighting.

Not to mention trying to physically overpower multiple assailants, or some criminal scumbag with a gun or a knife by yourself usually doesn't work out too well.

Last edited:

lol

I love you internet tough guys.
I make a simple statement that I don't train BJJ for self defense & you try to turn it into how you're some kind of tough guy & I'm not because I have to "hide behind a gun".
It's called intelligence, you put the odds in your favor. Something else I learned in the military.
Umm... I fought for years and I'm quite capable of pounding the crap out of someone if needed. I also have done Judo for a few years (it's BJJ that I'm new to, not fighting). I also know the reality of what happens in the real world and I know better than to trust to fate that there would only be one opponent. How could you possibly know if the person has a weapon or not? Do you interview the criminal prior to him attacking you? Do you have a set of rules that the criminal has to follow stating that his accomplices can't attack you? Do you have any idea how many LEO's are killed by "unarmed" criminals? (check the recent headlines about the 2 who were killed in Tampa last week).
If it were just me I wouldn't have to worry about anything since I could probably outrun most attackers (which would be my first option). But when there are women & children (& others incapable of defending themselves) I don't have that option. Neither do I have the luxury of failing in defending them from attacker (s) as the results could be catastrophic.

You are correct that one can never be 100% sure that anyplace is safe. However I can assure you that one can be 100% sure of places that are not safe & if you avoid those areas you will be safe. I used to have to try and avoid trouble all the time in the 1980's & 1990's but since I quit frequenting those type of areas (& quit associating with the type of people who frequent them) I have had no call to "defend" myself. Remarkable how easy that is.

Maybe they got nothing to do and want to train.

And maybe they are fat and dont want to be fat so they train.

I'm 6-9 and 345 pounds so I'm one of the bigger guys in class usually...

just kidding. I'm about 6' and 185 pounds, reasonably strong for my size. I've not been worried about self defense. Hadn't really gotten in a fight for 20 years or so. I just found BJJ to be a fascinating art form, a good supplement to my workout routines, and enjoyed the competitiveness of it all.

Not only is there always someone bigger (unless you're emanual yardborough) but training in BJJ will teach you defenses against submissions so that you can beat those pesky little gracie guys.

i'm 5'10, 315lbs. i do bjj because it's fun, a great workout & challenge, and there's a camaraderie on the mats that you can't find anywhere else. just got my blue so i'm driven to prove that i deserve it. it's also a great stress reliever and almost therapeutic because it's the only time that my mind is clear to focus on only one thing, which is to improve my game

Back