1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Bigfoot Silva outclasses Fedor revisited

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Theproof, Feb 15, 2021.

1. tehMoose Silver Belt

<JagsKiddingMe>

Fedor was past prime

2. BFoe Western States Heritage Champion Platinum Member

Meh. Bigfoot also failed a PED test in ‘08. I think we have to look at all of those performances with suspicion.

3. JohnSAFTAHess Brown Belt

....arguably one of the best hws of all time?

4. Holyherb420 Blue Belt

The snowy plains on which the mauler weeps
    Yup pride was known for its stringent testing and clean fighters!

5. SpedDaddyV GOAT

I was at this fight

6. Fight Professor Gold Belt

As I mentioned there are definitely fights where Fedor had a more technical stand up than usual. But he also fought Tim Sylvia almost the same way he fought Zulu, and it worked because Tim was so uncoordinated and slow in comparison. But it could have easily turned into Bigfoot or Hendo fight with a slightly different opponent. I also think Arlovski could have won a decision relatively easily if he would have just stuck to boxing.

DarkRaven and markg171 like this.
  7. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

That fight just hit different to Fedor/Werdum. The loss to Werdum could be (and largely was) looked at as Fedor just making a split second mistake. A lot of people thought Fedor would come back with a vengeance and run right through Bigfoot, instead we got a definitive, prolonged beatdown that 100% confirmed that Fedors time was over. It was sad, but you cant take away from Bigfoots performance.

Theproof likes this.
  8. bjpenngoat Silver Belt

You had great seats too. That place was so electric that night for Fedor. I think i paid over $600 per seat. It was so worth it.

Draxton likes this.
  9. NatoHoro Brown Belt

[​IMG]

Steve-French likes this.
  10. moreorless87 Straba

You watch the fight and Arlovski actually lands very little on Fedor, even if he was becoming more of a head hunter he was still very good defencively slipping punchs and theres pretty much no way that fight was going to a decision with Fedor going after him like that. Even the finish wasnt any terrible mistake by Arlovski, it was just Fedor picked out the flying knee early, he actually landed the counter almost before Andrei even got off the ground.

Sylvia he catches him early using a hand trap, pushes Tims head down into the uppercut then follows up with several punchs on a hurt opponent, almost all of which land. I'm not seeing anything sloppy there...

[​IMG]

Whilst he wasnt looking his best again the Hendo fight seems to be were the reality of what happened has been forgotten, you'd think Henderson KOed him with the typical overhand the way people talk when in reality Fedor knocked him down and then got reversed and caught in the grappling.

Eater of Souls likes this.
  11. SecondToNone Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Middleweight vs Bantamweight

12. Steve-French What A Rush!!!

You have no clue what the hell you are talking about. Before USADA the UFC didn't directly test people, the athletic commissions did. Just like how they implement the referees and the judges. The same went for Bellator, IFL, Affliction, etc...

And TRT was a legal Loophole that fighters would use so they could take test, but still get a pass from the athletic commissions. Plus it was monitored by them so if their levels got too high they would still face punishment, so saying a fighter was on TRT or illegally taking steroids are two different scenarios.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    markg171 likes this.
  13. n...not crazy Silver Belt

Nah just when he's slow, done with a 10 year undefeated streak, careless, sloppy, and assumes all fight results are God's will. That's when there's no fault.

Eater of Souls likes this.
  14. Draxton Captain shitpost

Oh yeah. It was my first/only MMA live event. Even watching guy who I had who they were had me on the edge of my seat. It really makes a difference being there. My tickets weren’t that expensive but still pretty pricey.

Theproof likes this.
  15. markg171 Gold Belt

So tired of this excuse. The fight was held in New Jersey, and because of Bigfoot's pituitary gland issues due to his acromegaly NJ only licenced him so long as he passed extra blood tests, brain scans, MRIs, urine tests, and everything under the sun "short of rabies" leading up to the fight. Meanwhile Fedor just had the standard fight night piss test that a monkey could pass.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...never-happened-fight-saved-antonio-silva-life

It was the most tested fight of Bigfoot's life before states began implementing standardized random blood testing years later. This is the one fight before that period you can't reasonably say he might have been on something due to how closely NJ was monitoring solely him. Fedor got his ass kicked, that's it.

And even IF Bigfoot was on something, Cormier crumpled him the very next fight. Why couldn't Fedor do that?

16. markg171 Gold Belt

Bigfoot was KO'd by Cormier in his very next fight lol

Theproof likes this.
  17. markg171 Gold Belt

This is quite possibly the most delusional thing I've ever heard a Fedor fan say.

Which is quite impressive.

Theproof likes this.
  18. Tweak896 Black Belt

Fedor was really only good off his back against those who weren't fully trained in defensive BJJ, he wasn't good at reversal and getting back to his feet. Bigfoot just muscled his way through and got the W. Impressive because fast strikers like Fedor were usually the key to beating Bigfoot.

X Factor likes this.
  19. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Its the nature of people having put Fedor on an impossible pedestal.

Bigfoot got summarily knocked out by Cormier in his very next fight. DC isn't any bigger than Fedor and he wrestled at 184lbs as a 5th year senior in college. Werdum and Cain both smashed Bigfoot in the same two year run, the same guy on the same sauce.

Fedor was a very good fighter for his generation, but its a thin division and he didn't have the most impressive strength of schedule. Yes his record is padded but so is virtually everyone else fighting out of Japan back then.

He's likely a top 5 all time heavyweight when it comes to skill. That in of itself is very impressive and should be enough. The rest was just marketing and fandom.

X Factor and Theproof like this.
  20. ejlarson249 Purple Belt

Me too bro. I was next to you all night.

bjpenngoat likes this.