Big Teams and their effect on competition

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Sloth, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Watching some recent IBJJF events and I got to thinking that for the most part Gracie Barra and Alliance are always winning the team trophy at the big events and their guys are usually on the podium at the Mundial and Pan jj. My question is how this effects competitors mentally.

What I mean is when you are competing against say an Alliance guy, or you see they are in your side of the brackets, how does that effect you? Do you automatically pick them out as someone who will probobly make it to the medal rounds, or do you treat them as any other Joe from any other team, big or small? Does it get in your head and psyche you out, or does it motivate you to compete better?

On the other side of the coin, if you are from a big team like that, does that give you an extra boost of confidence? Do you feel more pressure in having to represent that team?

I'm just curious how you guys feel about this subject and would love to hear anyones input on this matter. Thanks!

2. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

No I don't think that he will get to the medal round, not all alliance/gracie barra guys are beast. I look forward to fighting Alliance and Gracie Barra guys, from my experience a lot of them especially the Brazilians think they're hot shit. Nothing is better then one dude having a loud cheering section and then you going out there and smashing them lol.
    But that's just me

3. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

^ Damn dude... Took the words right out of my mouth.

Its a us vs. the world mentality. Thats what youve got to have.

Gracie Barra is the biggest team. They run the tournament. They get the calls. etc...

Its us vs. them. Fight to the death. Show no mercy. If youre up 20-0, you still keep scoring, and looking to finish him.

4. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Truth be told, I have never been to a tournament where there was a big, dominating team by a large margin. The closest I can think of is how Gold Team teams usually band together in local tournaments, even when they field their own teams and make lots of noise. It seems to not do anything extraordinary.

5. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

It kind of gets into my head.. I always expect the guys from the big schools to be a lot better than the other people. But from what I've seen it's usually the guys from the small schools that take gold.

6. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

For me, the team thing doesn't enter into my thinking. I'm more focused on individual competitors. However, I do see a lot of competitors who seem o gather tremendous confidence from training with a top team and the confidence can make a huge difference in a match