Big Nog officially retires

KSchwarz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of the best fighters in the history of MMA has officially retired. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a former Pride and interim UFC heavyweight champion, will hang up the gloves and move onto a job with the promotion that he competed in for the last eight years. Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting has the news via Twitter:

"Former UFC and PRIDE champion Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira has officially retired, will work for the UFC. Story coming to @MMAFighting."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/9/1/9240245/ufc-antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-officially-retires-from-mma

I thought he was taking the last fight of his contract, but that was about time.

cheers_law_and_order.gif

Running from a possible Fedor rematch, imo.

This thread is going just the way I feared it would...

He definitely stayed on way longer than he should have and tarnished his legacy....his BEST performance was arguably his 2nd fight with Barnett....still demands respect but not the #2 greatest HW of all time like I'm sure many will post in here

Good for him. If he kept going he would have probably been brutally KO'ed several more times.

Thanks to gawdge (Brazilian way of pronouncing "God")! Good to hear he's getting a job, too. Congrats.

Thank god. Legendary career and some of the biggest accomplishments in MMA history.

I'm so happy. He's my favorite fighter, and he already solidified himself as one of the absolute best ever.

3 insane comeback wins against Sapp, Crocop, and Tim. His legendary heart (and chin) won him two world championships right there.

Also gave us the greatest HW fight ever (Barnett 1). In his prime, he was a guy who would always win the competitive fights. He had victories in really close fights against many elite champion-level HWs like Barnett, Werdum, Sergei, Herring, Couture.

Instead of complaining about how I wish he had just retired after UFC 81, I'll just wish him well. He was my favorite fighter.

Legend he is. But always so sad to see a fighter retire with a loss fight being a loss...

One of the best. Farewell Big Nog. You are a legend and a warrior !

200_s.gif

Enjoy your retirement! Hopefully he got out in time to escape the long term health effects of such a brutal career. He gave us some of the best wars ever.

'Nother old school legend gone. If one could look past any cultural differences they may have w/ Nog, i.e. da geys, excuses, etc, then there's no way to not be in awe of his career.

Back