Big money fights vs number 1 contender?

backnthedaymma

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
After listening to a Miletich interview it seems like a interesting question.
Tyron Woodley would rather fight GSP for a big money fight then take on the number 1 contender
Wonderboy Thomas.

Before u say Woodley is ducking Wonderboy keep in mind Conor is the one that made it cool to do
this and fans cheer him for it. When he said CHECKS over Belts that speaks for itself!! I recall back when Rampage said its all about the money he got booed. lol

Think it's only fair after Woodley beat Lawler to pick his next fight. Any fighter who win a title has earned the right to make a big pay day while they can.

Let Wonderboy fight Nick in the mean time I would luv to see that.

Who the fuck is Thomas?

giphy.gif

It didn't start with Conor. It happened with GSP/Diaz also. Couture got an immediate title shot upon returning to HW. Lesnar got an unwarranted Title shot. Chael Sonnen got a title shot against Jones. Etc Etc....

Of course every fighter want to get paid.

It's the UFC job to make them fight the #1 contender.

If the UFC allow them to fight a bigger money fight because it make sense finacially, good for everybody except the fans ... I guess.

Wait, you're saying that people prefer cash over some cheap ass belt that has been won by defeating someone who prefers cash over belt too?

So Wonderboy team and fans think Woodley is ducking him to fight the #1 WW in history and #1 fighter in history of mma? ok.

WB will get his shot and will eventually be champ. Right now it's Woodley time. WB needs to chill for now.... the man just KO'd Lawler. Let him get Conor'd up for at least one fight....

I'm sorry but you guys act like this is some sort of recent development.

Ken Shamrock got a title shot against Tito Ortiz coming off of losses to Don Frye and Fujita in PRIDE.

Randy got a title shot at heavyweight against Tim Sylvia, coming off of losing his LHW title to Chuck.

There are dozens and dozens of other examples of this. This is not a recent development and this has happened in combat sports for as long as they have been around.

It's also the right thing to do. Tito vs Ken probably saved the ufc. Randy beating Tim got the title off of a champ that nobody really liked and lead to some big money title fights involving Couture which ultimately lead to an undeserving Brock getting a title shot which made the ufc a an even bigger amount of money and brought the sport to even more people.

If someone is truly deserving of a title shot then they will eventually get it, but a company has to look out for its bottom line.

What are rankings anyway? Who's to say #3 can't beat the #1 contender? Who's to say #15 can't beat the champ? It's all subjective until the fights happen.

Back