Big John Quickly Dismantles Brendan Schaub's Claim All The Best Fighters Are in The UFC

Not all but most.

I'll take my chances with D.Lima and G. Mousasi over current UFC champs ....and betting lines would be far from crazy .
Usman -220
Lima +180

Izz - 170
Mousasi +150

I'm talking RIGHT NOW

It’s true in general

I’d think anyone in the NBA is better by and large than any European league

I'll take my chances with D.Lima and G. Mousasi over current UFC champs ....and betting lines would be far from crazy .
Usman -220
Lima +180

Izz - 170
Mousasi +150

I'm talking RIGHT NOW
Mousasi....he's not even champ is he?

Everyone, including his buddy Rogan, is spreading propaganda against Schaub. In this case he is innocent, his only point was that he can't consider a fighter outside of the UFC as the best. He never claimed that Lima for example can't beat anyone on the UFC roster, it's a straw man.
It’s funny to me how they all missed this point. All Schaub is saying is that most ppl don’t consider them the best until they prove themselves in the UFC based on public opinion. He’s absolutely right. A lot of ppl view Fedor as the best but the question always came up about him beating the ufc fighters. Why? Because that’s where the majority of the best talent is. Josh, Joe and Big John aren’t talking about the same thing.

Mousasi....he's not even champ is he?
In my eyes he is and should of never left London without his title off that poorly judged split decision non sense MMA TITLE FIGHT not a grappling trophy or Polaris. A cage fight for the middleweight championship of the world.

A month and a half ago, Josh ( didn't reference thst fight ) but echoed my comments about Lima and Mousasi beating any UFC fighter or capable of ( not to mention mousasi ufc / zuffa tenure quite sucessful at 9-3 / 12 -3 and only fighter in mmas top promotion to leave on a 5 fight stoppage streak..... for what thsts worth and if u care. Hes still only 34 and wears little to 0 mma mileage).

That's the way I see it which I'm sure most will have a problem with but I just dont care. I dont want to see a Mousasi Lima fight just yet- Thsts a fight that BMMA should let breath. However, I'd rather see that than see Gegard murder a John Salter ( who is a solid middle but Gegard prime years winding down so......)

Unbiased opinion from someone with no financial stake in those other orgs ...
Great point.... but it is funny how you avoid touching what he said and rather attack who he is....

...maybe that's because you are an UFC Schill? Or you would (at least) talk about the argument, not his job.

In my eyes he is and should of never left London without his title off that poorly judged split decision non sense MMA TITLE FIGHT not a grappling trophy or Polaris. A cage fight for the middleweight championship of the world.

A month and a half ago, Josh ( didn't reference thst fight ) but echoed my comments about Lima and Mousasi beating any UFC fighter or capable of ( not to mention mousasi ufc / zuffa tenure quite sucessful at 9-3 / 12 -3 and only fighter in mmas top promotion to leave on a 5 fight stoppage streak..... for what thsts worth and if u care. Hes still only 34 and wears little to 0 mma mileage).

That's the way I see it which I'm sure most will have a problem with but I just dont care. I dont want to see a Mousasi Lima fight just yet- Thsts a fight that BMMA should let breath. However, I'd rather see that than see Gegard murder a John Salter ( who is a solid middle but Gegard prime years winding down so......)
A "my own personal record book" guy....

Schaub around 2010-2011 and Fedor 2010-2011 was probably an even match up. He could of used a better example than that. I get what he is saying but the HW division in general is pretty abysmal, I think it's only recently in past few years we have new young prospects like Blaydes, Ngannou, Rozenstruik, Gane. Bellators HW division is marginally worse than the UFC, Kongo has proven to be one of their best fighters and I'm not sure he would even be top 15 in the UFC.

IMO the HW division peaked around 2000 - 2005 with most of the elite fighters being in Pride and on PEDS, they rarely gassed, were all in great physical shape...even the lower end journeymen were pretty skilled.

Bellator have some very elite fighters that could cross over and be successful, however a majority of the top talent is in the UFC.

A "my own personal record book" guy....
In this particular case - whatever works for me and the several times I watched.

*Sometimes the better fighter doesnt win or gets worked by 3 dudes who can ascertain what they're watching or how to score.
I have sympathy for Raphael s health but in all this time , Gegard probably wouldve just handled his 4th title defense ( Lovato fight included , of course) with new contract in hand.

mma's paradox
mousasi bless

Some fighters make way more money outside the ufc and dont sell their soul to Dana's masters. It's exactly like big John said...they have more depth as better fighters. I agree with that at this time. The lighter weights, like he said are more so. There are killers all over the world that could fight in the ufc and be successful. U cant blame a guy like lima who made millions in bellator, to not take a lesser deal money wise just to be in the ufc. I think it also reflects in how the ufc match making doesnt necessarily reward guys who fight and win ,with title shots. A guy like gsp or Conor can totally jump them in line on name alone. Tony has won what..12 in a row. Yes he had a title shot lined up when he screwed his knee up, but like khabib ..had a 10 fight win streak already before he got the shot. That's exactly why khabib said he must win 10 in a row like me before I grant a rematch...

In this particular case - whatever works for me and the several times I watched.

*Sometimes the better fighter doesnt win or gets worked by 3 dudes who can ascertain what they're watching or how to score.
I have sympathy for Raphael s health but in all this time , Gegard probably wouldve just handled his 4th title defense ( Lovato fight included , of course) with new contract in hand.

mma's paradox
mousasi bless
Truthfully i didn't see the fight because bellator is actively trying to set the bar for worst promoter in combat sports. So that i don't know.

But it's a slippery slope to keep a "personal record book"

Truthfully i didn't see the fight because bellator is actively trying to set the bar for worst promoter in combat sports. So that i don't know.

But it's a slippery slope to keep a "personal record book"
Already spoke my peace.....
That said, this now your hang up ....not mine.
I'm non myopic so if I catch up with u on another topic and some sort of common ground is born ,you'll know it ( you'll hold your head up an extra half inch that day ! )

Ya know, a fellow dogger accused me of being arrogant the other day ( I'm really not but I can see why he might think)

Lol. Nice straw man Big John!

Brendan never said all UFC fighters would beat all bellator guys. He specially said some bellator guys would hang and be ranked.

His quote of "if you're not in the UFC, you're not shit" was specifically in the context of saying that no one outside the UFC can logically claim "best in the world" because we haven't seen them against the same amount and quality of what you get in ranked UFC guys.

In other words, Lima could claim all he wants that he's the best in the world, but since we haven't seen him beat the Colby's, RDA's, the Woodley's, etc, it will always be a claim in question. Whereas Usman can claim to be the best in the world.

No such thing as best in the world with 7 billion people lol.

I lost a lot of respect for Big John and his opinion after he tried to compare MVP to Prime Silva, in terms of strength of schedule and everything.

Schaub's a horrible analyst, but right on this point, mostly because it's an easy point to make.

UFC is obviously the premiere org in the sport. The best fighters there have the best claim to being the world's best.

That doesn't that there aren't a few fighters out there that could contend, possibly even win titles in the UFC.

But it's a few at best.

To think that JUST because they are in the UFC they are better, well that's stupid. Its just that the UFC has a higher percentage of the top fighters.

And there's also no reason someone outside the UFC couldn't be the best in the world in their division, as we saw a number of times when Strikeforce was bought and their fighters brought over. Again SF just had a smaller % of the top 20 fighters ... (some have also proven to be busts too, as well as hyped ex-UFC fighters being starched when they leave the UFC)

I mean at the end of the day, all these top fighters train with each other, from within the top MMA gyms around the world and regardless of what org they are contracted to fight in. Alvarez for years was in Bellator or Dream but training with Frankie Edgar... and of course at the same 'level' as him through that period, maybe even better, but they were clearly pushing each other and bringing the best from each other.

Anyway, most reasonable MMA fans/pundits know these facts...

Back