Big John McCarthy weighs in on Askren-Lawler stoppage

flowoftruth

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

I like askren but the reaction to what happened by him and his fanboys is bizarre.
From what we saw the fight was clearly ended prematurely. Robbie gave herb the okay, + he wasn't disorientated on the break even for a millisecond.

You cannot talk about hypotheticals or fabricate a narrative about robbie being out and waking back up. There's simply nothing we can do to prove such a thing.

Get prepared mentally guys because round 2 is happening.

RemorsefulThriftyBeetle-size_restricted.gif

Robbie was out, somebody post the gif.

I agree it wasn't necessarily the right call but Robbie could've prevented it by actually trying to defend the choke instead of taking it. Ben absolutely had it in and had leverage on it. This whole Robbie waiting for Ben to gas out his arms when it's mainly a choke that uses hip leverage is BS. Wrong call by Herb but doing absolutely nothing while being in one of the most dangerous chokes is silly, I don't think Robbie was getting out of it IMO. I want a rematch but there's a good chance it's nowhere NEAR as exciting as the first fight, it will most likely be Ben pinning Robbie to the fence and sitting in Iowa ride for half the fight.

I like askren but the reaction to what happened by him and his fanboys is bizarre.
From what we saw the fight was clearly ended prematurely. Robbie gave herb the okay, + he wasn't disorientated on the break even for a millisecond.

You cannot talk about hypotheticals or fabricate a narrative about robbie being out and waking back up. There's simply nothing we can do to prove such a thing.

Get prepared mentally guys because round 2 is happening.

RemorsefulThriftyBeetle-size_restricted.gif

Herb knew he made a mistake, Big John knows it and Dominick Cruz saw it after the fact (he's a fighter reacting in real time). It won't stop Askren fans from making a narrative in their head about how Askren choked out Robbie.

Its the haters reaction what is bizarre. They talked for years about Askren being a can crusher and they were ready to keep on hating with any excuse anyway.

I think this is top 5 butthurt fan boy backlash in sherbro history. You salty bitches must really love Robbery Lawler. Dude has been gifted more title decisions than anyone in UFC history

Robbie was out, somebody post the gif.
FatDisfiguredIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

Edit: I was being sarcastic, I don't actually think that Lawler went out, hence why I posted this particular GIF.

Last edited:
It IS possible Lawler went out then came back real quick. That arm drop is pretty suspect.

With that being said, he did give a thumbs up.

This is a tricky situation, one of the trickiest ive seen.

For those of us who are unbiased, its not really clear if it was the right call or not.

UFC needs to book Robbie for another fight quickly. It's Robbie's time. I have never seen him look so good, both mentally and especially physically. I'm usually not a big fan of immediate rematches, but would like this one very much. I don't think Askren is a complete mixed martial artist like Robbie is. I find Askren's game very one dimensional. Robbie runs through Ben 9 times out of 10.

He made a mistake, but Robbie was partly to blame. He really did look like he was out

Its the haters reaction what is bizarre. They talked for years about Askren being a can crusher and they were ready to keep on hating with any excuse anyway.

He's got a big heart and proved he belongs in the ufc. Saying it was stopped early is nothing against Askren

I think this is top 5 butthurt fan boy backlash in sherbro history. You salty bitches must really love Robbery Lawler. Dude has been gifted more title decisions than anyone in UFC history
Robbie is amazing but I agree every 50/50 decision has gone to him. The condit fight was pretty bad I think it was straight forward for Condit, AT MOST a draw. No way Robbie won that fight lol.

Herb knew he made a mistake, Big John knows it and Dominick Cruz saw it after the fact (he's a fighter reacting in real time). It won't stop Askren fans from making a narrative in their head about how Askren choked out Robbie.

im a robbie fan and i bet on him and lost :(

i think he went limp for a split second. I cant think of a reason his arm would fall dead so hard it actually bounces off the mat.

I agree it wasn't necessarily the right call but Robbie could've prevented it by actually trying to defend the choke instead of taking it. Ben absolutely had it in and had leverage on it. This whole Robbie waiting for Ben to gas out his arms when it's mainly a choke that uses hip leverage is BS. Wrong call by Herb but doing absolutely nothing while being in one of the most dangerous chokes is silly, I don't think Robbie was getting out of it IMO. I want a rematch but there's a good chance it's nowhere NEAR as exciting as the first fight, it will most likely be Ben pinning Robbie to the fence and sitting in Iowa ride for half the fight.
Name another time a fight has been stopped while a guy is in a submission without tapping or being unconscious and it was actually a good stoppage

'Intelligent defense' doesn't apply to submission holds

Last edited:
The most amazing thing about this whole incident will always be Lawler's reaction. To go from full on serial killer mode, screaming, to 'it's all good, everyone makes mistakes'...just unbelievably cool, I don't even know how one can make that kind of mental about-face at the moment it's friggin happening like that. Will always be a huge Robbie fan for that.

Name another time a fight has been stopped while a guy is in a submission without tapping or being unconscious

'Intelligent defense' doesn't apply to submission holds
Kevin Lee vs Michael Chiesa. RNC isn't nearly as dangerous as Bulldog choke IMO Bulldog choke can put you out and shatter your jaw. Robbie looked like he was out and had no answers for Ben's chain wrestling. And if you read when refs can stop the fight if a fighter looks out due to a choke they're absolutely allowed to call it. Get over it.

Kevin Lee vs Michael Chiesa. RNC isn't nearly as dangerous as Bulldog choke IMO Bulldog choke can put you out and shatter your jaw. Robbie looked like he was out and had no answers for Ben's chain wrestling. And if you read when refs can stop the fight if a fighter looks out due to a choke they're absolutely allowed to call it. Get over it.
That was another case where the ref thought the fighter was out and flat out made a mistake. I am 'over it' in the same sense that Robbie is, we both agree (along with herb) that it was a bad stoppage. End of story.

Whether or not you think Robbie would have got out given the chance is irrelevant.

Back