Big John McCarthy Wants Sanchez to Retire Before He Gets Killed

What should Diego do now?

• Total voters
The problem is, with many fighters by the time they consider the choice, the damaged brain is involved in the decision..
His brain can’t make rational or logical decisions anymore I don’t think. It’s sad!

image.jpg
It is what it is.

I think Dana White is close to doing to Diego Sanchez what he did with BJ Penn : simply refusing to offer them one single more fight.

UFC are bound to have some affection for the guy, given that he goes wayyyy back, and I think Dana is going to be talking to Diego and telling him 'The time is right man'. It wouldnt surprise me if that was the last time we see Diego in the Octagon.
It's illegal to not offer a fighter a fight if they are under contract. By law UFC has to offer a fight once every 3 months. So while sure they can offer hard opponents as a deterrent to not take the fight Diego is crazy enough to accept whoever they offer.

Diego's cocky rooster strut is on par with BJ's tippy toe stance. They both signal the end of a career.

I thought Diego should have retired after Matt brown cracked him with that huge elbow.

Diego wants to die in there, let Diego die in there...

Dude doesn't know anything else, is brain damaged either way, and will inevitably go off the rails like Matt Hughes and BJ Penn when he loses the direction that fighting gives him, so let him do what he wants. I'd rather see him working and happy than retired and crazy.

I'm not big on asking fighters to retire, especially when they're 3-1 in their last 4 fights.

Let him bang bro.

He's already taken a hellacious amount of damage. Far beyond what is healthy. I can't picture this guy in any kind of semi-normal job, not even as an MMA trainer or personal trainer or whatever.

If the UFC wants to keep these old dudes around stop matching them up against young killers. Give him BJ, Marquardt, CM Punk, grapplers with poor striking like Maia, Kron or Ryan Hall. Anything other than the most explosive/athletic/big striker in the entire division. Who wants to see Diego get beat down for 3 rounds at age 38?

A lot of these guys have already absorbed wayyyyy too much damage.

8 people currently don't like Diego and want to see him continue to get beaten to a pulp.

Diego said he wants to die in the octagon

If Diego went to Bellator, Big Shill McCarthy would be saying that he could probably beat Usman on a good night.

And I don't know why everyone is acting like Peacock Diego is the start of some downward spiral of his mental health; We saw "YES" Diego and Vampire Hunter Diego years ago. Es normal behavior for him.

Last edited:
Diego can still wrestle decent grapplers like Gall and eat solid shots.
If he goes to a solid wrestle/conditioning heavy gym like TAM Diego would be a good test to see who's UFC level and who isn't. Gall was a solid win and that was the only fight Gall looked outmatched (the Brown fight was a close and competitive fight)

His new coach is horrible and doesn't even make sense or give solid advice. The guy should've screamed for Diego to wrestle and not focus on some "zen" BS. With this coach I don't see him winning a single fight unless he gets fed MVP's left overs (Peirira isn't a winnable fight for Diego at this point but it was still a horrible performance.)

if he continues fight I for sure don't want him to keep fighting young up and comers.give him some fun fights against other old school guys.

It's kind of Diego's choice. I think he lives for fighting so maybe it's best he goes out that way.

It's kind of Diego's choice. I think he lives for fighting so maybe it's best he goes out that way.

Yea but if he dies in the Octagon, bye bye UFC and all it's fighters, properties, etc. Dude needs to tap out.

I think Diego should call it a career as well, the man is the very last guy left from tuf 1 still fighting (besides a few bare knuckle fights from Chris leben)

But Diego's career has been odd. He has a couple devastating losses and then he bounces back with a couple of solid wins over solid fighters, so naturally hes going to continue.

I do think enough is enough. But you see this ALL the time. So many fighters just dont know when to hang it up.

Diego is fighting in the wrong weight class. Simple as that. He needs to drop down to 155 and see how he does there.

Totally agree. If by some miracle he decides to ditch that weirdo Fabio then moves to a serious camp other than JWink then cuts to 155 he could provide a few more offerings to JBG

Yea but if he dies in the Octagon, bye bye UFC and all it's fighters, properties, etc. Dude needs to tap out.

Nah they would just revise medicals. Look how many die in boxing and they're fine. Besides when he's at the point of death it will be doing something like bare knuckle or lethwei.

Big John making sense? Wtf is going on

Sad to see these guys have no future or life after fighting. Bj and Diego used to fight for titles and now, I’d be surprised sadly if they lived for another 10 years. Esp BJ as he seems to have serious issues. Sad and hope I’m wrong but he doesn’t seem to value his life at all. Diego has openly said he is ready to die in cage.

ultimately our life choices are up to us.

Back