Big John McCarthy says Pennington's corner was wrong

• Thread starter Deleted member 460645
  • Start date
First you weren't in there so you know nothing. Her future wife and corner weren't in there getting there ass beat. The fighter herself said she was done. And what happened the next round. She got stopped. You may think it's cool or heroic doing that that if the fighter themself says they were done then there is no reason to continue. You know nothing becsuse you weren't there. So keep talking the tough talk

Yet after the fight she HERSELF said she was glad her corner got her through her moment of weakness.

Right because she is going to publically come out and say her wife and corner did the wrong job.

So even though everyone around her is saying they did the right thing, people not involved are still right and she HERSELF is wrong? So now we on the internet should force people to agree with us or they should feel a certain way because we think so?

Ppl wgo dont fight and will never step into the ring will disagree.. anyone who treats combat sports professional will agree. She wanted out it should have been stopped.

She wont regret not quitting but that not the point..

So even though everyone around her is saying they did the right thing, people not involved are still right and she HERSELF is wrong? So now we on the internet should force people to agree with us or they should feel a certain way because we think so?
No I'm going with what the fighter said in the moment when it was happening. That is the most honest and real answer your going to get. Not one afte the fact

No I'm going with what the fighter said in the moment when it was happening. That is the most honest and real answer your going to get. Not one afte the fact

And she said it was a moment of mental weakness, and pushed through it with their help.

Of course they were wrong, it doesn't take an official telling us. Any reasonable human being knows her team sucks.

And look what it got her.. more of a beating. I'm sorry but as coaches you have to listen to your fighter and protect them from themself. If you hear them say they are done then that right there is a sign that they mentally checked out.

Hahaha and two minutes later she was in a moment of physical weakness, beaten to a pulp and stopped.

If the team pressured her to go back out there when she felt she was done they were wrong, regardless of the outcome. You have to weight the worst case scenario in each case, and sending a beaten fighter out to potentially get seriously hurt is worse than her having some regrets or 'what ifs' after the fact.

Saying she could just "say no" is beyond the point; she trusts her corner and she needs them. If they're putting her in a position where quitting would perceivably hurt her relationship with them, that effects her entire livelihood. It's not a fair position to put her in. They need to know better.

Also, the fact she said they made the right decision means nothing. There's absolutely no reason for her to burn that bridge now; right or wrong the decision was made.

I agree with the fact that she had no business in the 5th, how many times in boxing have we seen towels thrown in or fighters not coming out for another round during the breaks because they are beat... tons of times. Your coaches are supposed to be there to protect the fighters and to stop the fight if the fighter is taking a beating. Her coaches talked her into taking extra damage and got her tkod. For what?

Does no one care that Rocky said she's glad her corner talked her into going back out there?

"Battered Wife Syndrome." That's what it seemed like.

Of course she's going to defend her corner after the fact and say a bunch of fluff and bullshit.

Had she told them to kick rocks, she'll have to go to a new Gym and she obviously doesn't want that at this point of her career. She's essentially trapped with a bunch of neanderthals who only concern themselves with Fighter Image than the Fighter herself.

What a bitch. John must been on that estrogen diet.

She said "I'm done" EMPHATICALLY to her corner which means "I'M DONE".

Instead her corner manipulated her into going back out there and it's not because she had a shot at winning, the cornermen did not want a fighter they trained to quit, even though it's THEIR JOB to LISTEN to the fighter's needs/wants.

Just because she said AFTERWARD(when she realized if she burned her bridges here, she'd have to find another gym) all that garbage, doesn't make what happened any less egregious.

She said "I'm done" EMPHATICALLY to her corner which means "I'M DONE".

Instead her corner manipulated her into going back out there and it's not because she had a shot at winning, the cornermen did not want a fighter they trained to quit, even though it's THEIR JOB to LISTEN to the fighter's needs/wants.

Just because she said AFTERWARD(when she realized if she burned her bridges here, she'd have to find another gym) all that garbage, doesn't make what happened any less egregious.

You know this how? Again, people keep assuming they know how she feels or they know better then her herself.

Has anybody considered teh fact that maybe, just maybe, she IS in fact okay with what her corner did? Call me crazy, but maybe she is *gasp* actually okay with it.

One thing I disagree with John on, in closing he said something like what was gained by her going back in for the fifth round “Nothing” I am not sure that is correct, everything else he said was spot on..but maybe she gained some pride and confidence in knowing she finished the fight and did not quit..That could have some value.

Well she did quit. She only went back in because she was told. But mentally she tapped.

Back