Big John McCarthy says Pennington's corner was wrong

• Thread starter Deleted member 460645
  • Start date
She had the option to end the fight and she didn't. She could have told anyone other than her corner and it would have been over.
Pride is a hell of a thing especially in fighters, somehow it's viewed as "ok" for a corner stoppage or ref stopping it as she cowering on the ground but her tapping is seen as cowardly.

Only ABC knows if they were right or wrong

Its coaches job to discuss these things in advance, maybe AB told them she wants them to push her if they see weakness/quittign in, maybe se easily quits and regrets it afterwards

disclaimer: all theoretical, didnt watch the fight

He catches shit here but Schaub had great points on it this week and I completely agree with him. It was good to let the fight continue. Big johns wrong

Last edited:
She herself said it was okay, her corner of course agree with it, those around her agree with it. That is good enough for me.

Great points. If the fighter says he or she is done then it's over. I don't give a shit about people saying shit. Don't take more damage than needed. It's a sport not life or death. You win some you lose some
The only argument people have is literally "people would have talked shit"

What are we eight years old?

<KingstonFrown>

Last edited:
Didn't see the fight, but it's a pretty shameful corner job if they forced their fighter to go out when they said they were done.

Smh, no one is forcing a fighter to do anything, Pennington could have made the fight end by telling the ref she doesn't want to fight anymore, but in the end she didn't

Great points. If the fighter says he or she is done then it's over. I don't give a shit about people saying shit. Don't take more damage than needed. It's a sport not life or death. You win some you lose some

No, if the fighter tells the ref they are done, then its over. If they tell to cornerman, it means nothing

Nobody forced her to go back out there. She could have called it herself anytime she wanted to.

Her corner may have foolishly convinced her to go against her better judgement, but they didn't force her. She should have showed conviction and waved it off herself if she felt she needed to.

Her brain was mashed in. That’s why you have a corner, to act as a surrogate for you.

She wasn’t all there

How exactly? She admitted she was done and did.nothing but take more head trauma

She and her corner both said they did the right thing.

LOL at head trauma it's fighting! Eddie Alvarez said the same thing and his corner talked him into continuing and he won.

Fuck off with the hindsight is 20/20 trash. Go to Reddit with that soft logic.

Last edited:
Eddie Alvarez probably gave the best response to this so far.
He talks about how he wanted to quit against Melendez but Hooft pushed him out there and he won. This iant a black and white case. There's shades of grey in there.
2:07:30

It's a difficult situation for everyone involved. It's not as easy a decision as people are making it out to be especially in such an important fight. If she goes out and lands a KO punch then everyone is talking about how great her corner was for getting their fighter through a tough moment.

Yep, when a fighter hints, or in this case flat out says they want out you let them out. You do not manipulate them like that, if you do you're an asshole. Fighting is not like other safe activities

I think he should stick to refing, which he isn't even really good at other than acting like he is Dana White inside the cage

Translation : I disagree with what he's saying so I'm just going to say he should stick to reffing just to look cool.

One thing I disagree with John on, in closing he said something like what was gained by her going back in for the fifth round “Nothing” I am not sure that is correct, everything else he said was spot on..but maybe she gained some pride and confidence in knowing she finished the fight and did not quit..That could have some value.

The only thing she "gained" was more damage and more than likely years shaved off her MMA career.

And who knows how much that unnecessary damage will affect her once her fighting days are behind her.

So Big John was correct : She gained NOTHING because she had NOTHING both Mentally and Physically at that point. She knew she was done but her Coaches are selfish bastards.

And her defending them just smacks of "battered wife syndrome" or something like that.

No, if the fighter tells the ref they are done, then its over. If they tell to cornerman, it means nothing

Then what's the point of having cornermen? o_O

Part of your purse goes to them so why should you have them around at all if they're not going to do their fucking jobs in PROTECTING YOU?

She and her corner both said they did the right thing.

LOL at head trauma it's fighting you fucking moron. Eddie Alvarez said the same thing and his corner talked him into continuing and he won.

Fuck off with the hindsight is 20/20 trash. Go to Reddit with that soft logic.
Um every fighter is different. She got her ass beat for 4 rounds and said that. Her head was not in it. What was to gain going another round getting her ass beat? Pride? She got stopped in the 5th. Yup good for her getting more damage

I like Big John but don't really care for ultimatums when decisions and exchanges end in less than a minute. Hard to call court on that imo.

Would have been fine with it being ended at the end of the 4th. Rocky was basically done and she showed little chance of rallying. Could she still have won? Sure, unlikely but possible I guess.

Not sure anyone is truly in the wrong here but its a difficult situation to view and no doubt be involved in.

Um every fighter is different. She got her ass beat for 4 rounds and said that. Her head was not in it. What was to gain going another round getting her ass beat? Pride? She got stopped in the 5th. Yup good for her getting more damage

They did the right thing.

Raquel and her corner all agree it's the right thing. Nothing more to say.

These are fighters and she didn't receive any life debilitating damage. You CTE kids over react over everything now and it's hilarious.

The only argument people have is liter "people would have talked shit"

What are we eight years old?

<KingstonFrown>
Are you the one getting the shit beat out of them? No. So you don't know what it's like in their mindset. She mentally checked out. No need to continue

Back