Big John makes a mess of the main event

Stop complaining about Big John and realize he's the ref, he's the boss inside the ring or cage. Big John does his job better than any other ref. He establishes his presence in the cage and the fighters respect that. He gives fighters more chances on the ground whereas most refs would stand the fight up quickly. Big John dives in and risks getting hammered by a punch when a fighter is just about out whereas most refs try stopping the fight in other ways. Face the facts Big John is the best ref in MMA whereas Herb "Sleeping" Dean was just pathetic last night letting a fighter get choked for 7-8 seconds longer than he should've been.

Lmao....where's the gif of Big John picking up Pitbull like a Chihuahua

big-john_versus_freire.gif

Big John has become a gross caricature of himself - constantly inserting himself into fights, yelling at fighters like they are bad school children, telling fighters that have taken ridiculous low-blows to stand up (he did it in the Frodo/Sandro fight also).

Yeah Pitbull got a sick finish but it's impossible to know what would've happened had he deducted a point from Pitbull (as he should have) and stopped him from landing follow-up shots.

Stop complaining about Big John and realize he's the ref, he's the boss inside the ring or cage. Big John does his job better than any other ref. He establishes his presence in the cage and the fighters respect that. He gives fighters more chances on the ground whereas most refs would stand the fight up quickly. Big John dives in and risks getting hammered by a punch when a fighter is just about out whereas most refs try stopping the fight in other ways. Face the facts Big John is the best ref in MMA whereas Herb "Sleeping" Dean was just pathetic last night letting a fighter get choked for 7-8 seconds longer than he should've been.

Are you his cousin or something?

Big John is a legend of the sport that did a ton for it's growth, but the fact of the matter is his performances have been on a steady decline for the last decade and he's been exposed as a bit of "bully" by more relaxed refs like Josh Rosenthal.

He's not terrible by any stretch, but it's become obscene how he treats fouled fighters; in the Cruckshank/Noons fight he tries to make a blind fighter continue fighting, other times like in the Frodo/Sandro or Strauss/Pitbull fight he orders a fighter that is rolling on the ground from a groin shot to stand-up.

Fighters don't respect you because you are loud, they respect you because they can tell you have supreme confidence in your task - Big John occasionally gives off a vibe of false bravado when a foul happens, as if he isn't sure what happened so he needs to overreact to show everyone he knows exactly what is happening.

he definitely messed up the flow of the fight

no place for egos in officiating. the nba lets it go on and big john thinks he is the fricken mma rules god.

He is the man. He basically made the rules.

F'n fools in this place.

I thought he did fine and did things correctly.

Agreed.

For some reason it seems some people always need something to bitch about.

Acting like it affected the finish is truly asinine, and just a sign that many fans in this sport can't accept an outcome. There was not a single foul that forced Strauss to go for a kimura with no guard.

Even the casually stroll near the end after the nut shot on Strauss? I mean I don't think he was as bad as some folks are making him out to be...but you have to admit he dropped the ball not getting in there on that one.

Even the casually stroll near the end after the nut shot on Strauss? I mean I don't think he was as bad as some folks are making him out to be...but you have to admit he dropped the ball not getting in there on that one.

what do you mean by casual stroll?

I remember he got hit, he moved Pitbull, then talked to them both. I can't really remember what your reference is. I need a reminder.

Big John arguing "I never said that, did I?" with Strauss was embarrassing.

Just ref and shut up.

That was seriously disgusting, Big John loves flexing his authority over the fighters

One of these days he'll get taught a lesson in respect...

gilbert-yvel-o.gif

what do you mean by casual stroll?

I remember he got hit, he moved Pitbull, then talked to them both. I can't really remember what your reference is. I need a reminder.

He took his sweet time getting to the part where he moved Pitbull. Definitely wasn't in any hurry to stop the action when it was clear as day Pitbull was following up. I don't know how any can excuse that...the ref can't saunter over when he needs to break the fighters.

He took his sweet time getting to the part where he moved Pitbull. Definitely wasn't in any hurry to stop the action when it was clear as day Pitbull was following up. I don't know how any can excuse that...the ref can't saunter over when he needs to break the fighters.

You're fucking overreacting.

I can count a half dozen times where a guy takes a groin shot that would kill lesser men and when they are on their back or their knees McCarthy will get in their face and berate them "Up, Up, Up!" like they aren't allowed to suffer on the ground.

The point deductions are debatable, but how he treats fighters who have just been grossly fouled is ridiculous (whether it's eye pokes or groin shots).

Agreed.

For some reason it seems some people always need something to bitch about.

Acting like it affected the finish is truly asinine, and just a sign that many fans in this sport can't accept an outcome. There was not a single foul that forced Strauss to go for a kimura with no guard.

Acting like it might not have somehow affected the finish is just as asinine.

Strauss and Pitbull had gone to absolute WAR for almost 20 minutes; then the guy who is winning takes a VICIOUS groin shot (much worse then anything he gave pitbull) and eats a follow-up shot that could've been prevented. To top things off Big John lies and tells him it was just the foot that hit him when it was definitely his upper shin/lower knee and that he isn't taking a point.

There are so many ways this could've affected the fight it's crazy - not saying that Pitbull wouldn't have won anyways, but I don't remember Struass going for any subs prior to that, seemed like he had a physical/mental freakout and went for something he normally would never do, so who knows what part the groin shot played in that sequence.

Only fighters who have been in wars for 20 minutes and then eaten a savage groin shot have valid opinions on this subject, so when keyboard warriors interject that they know without a doubt that huge groin shot late in a fight that wasn't penalized didn't affect the outcome I can only shake my head :rolleyes:

Strauss and Pitbull had gone to absolute WAR for almost 20 minutes; then the guy who is winning takes a VICIOUS groin shot (much worse then anything he gave pitbull)

Holy shit you must be hallucinating if you actually believe that was a vicious grion shot. You need to watch it over again GIF please. :rolleyes:

Acting like it might not have somehow affected the finish is just as asinine.

Strauss and Pitbull had gone to absolute WAR for almost 20 minutes; then the guy who is winning takes a VICIOUS groin shot (much worse then anything he gave pitbull) and eats a follow-up shot that could've been prevented. To top things off Big John lies and tells him it was just the foot that hit him when it was definitely his upper shin/lower knee and that he isn't taking a point.

There are so many ways this could've affected the fight it's crazy - not saying that Pitbull wouldn't have won anyways, but I don't remember Struass going for any subs prior to that, seemed like he had a physical/mental freakout and went for something he normally would never do, so who knows what part the groin shot played in that sequence.

Only fighters who have been in wars for 20 minutes and then eaten a savage groin shot have valid opinions on this subject, so when keyboard warriors interject that they know without a doubt that huge groin shot late in a fight that wasn't penalized didn't affect the outcome I can only shake my head :rolleyes:

Holy shit, what a stretch. That kind of excuse would make a Brazilian shake their head.

And the irony of the keyboard warrior "MMAnalyst" commenting on keyboard warriors. Have you ever actually been around real fighters? Sparred with them? Cornered them? Or do you just consider yourself an expert because all the hours you've put in on YouTube watching fights?

yeah. I agree. I think he though Pitbull knew and was going to stop because Pitbull pause before punching again. I agree he should have verbally said to stop before physically getting in between.

That's usually my biggest beef with most refs. John does it the most. Herb, Mazz, and Yamasucky never do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back