Big crisis in Japan that may effect the world...

This is a myth.
In most Japanese companies, people comply with chair hours and do extra chair hours just to get their prestige up within the company without actually working. Just like in most developed countries (Sweden, Denmark, Austria) their productivity is super high and they do not require extensive work shifts, since they are already intensive.
If you ever spend a week or a month working in Japan, you will see that they may even pretend to fall asleep at work. Because somehow, that shows how committed they are to their company and work: "He was so exhausted but still he stayed working".
It's pretty common for workers there to be punctual, stay late doing extra hours (get paid extra), and then go take a couple of beers. Rinse and repeat. Of course this has to do with the deteriorated state of their social interaction which is another subject.
Countries like Mexico, Costa Rica actually have the highest working hours average per week. Highest of the OECD iirc.
Japan ranks even under the USA and Canada. These are hard numbers.
But of course the person who wrote that article, probably watches anime and admires his niisan too much to actually research something before writing a bullshit article.
I remember our boss telling to us work til 9pm to finish on schedule. We just goof around all day and start working at 6pm.

The Japanese, like the Germans, had to reevaluate who they are as a people. And they decided to become the smartest, hardest working people on Earth. Yet, it was at the detriment to their social well-being. You need a balance in life. That is what I think the Japanese are lacking.
Yeah the Japanese are like a cultural Galapagos with a bunch of weird social ailments extremely specific to their society. If you were to go up to someone liable to die of karoshi and be like "Tell your boss to fuck off" or "Quit and find another job" they would probably look at you like you were nuts.

I think it's less being too hard-working and more being too obedient and deferential to hierarchy that is doing them in.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm going to Japan next year during Cherry Blossom season.

This is a myth.
In most Japanese companies, people comply with chair hours and do extra chair hours just to get their prestige up within the company without actually working. Just like in most developed countries (Sweden, Denmark, Austria) their productivity is super high and they do not require extensive work shifts, since they are already intensive.
If you ever spend a week or a month working in Japan, you will see that they may even pretend to fall asleep at work. Because somehow, that shows how committed they are to their company and work: "He was so exhausted but still he stayed working".
It's pretty common for workers there to be punctual, stay late doing extra hours (get paid extra), and then go take a couple of beers. Rinse and repeat. Of course this has to do with the deteriorated state of their social interaction which is another subject.
Countries like Mexico, Costa Rica actually have the highest working hours average per week. Highest of the OECD iirc.
Japan ranks even under the USA and Canada. These are hard numbers.
But of course the person who wrote that article, probably watches anime and admires his niisan too much to actually research something before writing a bullshit article.
I don't think it's bullshit or a stereotype. More like a spectrum with you representing one end and the article the other. I mean, we've all seen the same thing at our own offices, haven't we? One guy busts his hump while the other guy shitposts on Sherdog all day?

I guess the only real question is the ratio of "looking like they're working" to "working like they're dying" employees. I'm gonna go with 80/20, like with most things...

meh, japs are historically cited as the 'hardest working' blah blah etc

recent studies have shown Americans work far more hours, far more days without relief

and suffer far more from the syndrome than the diminutive easterners.

I still like sushi though.
Do you have a source? I would like to read that. Not that I don't believe it, I can imagine it being true. Part of the problem with the Japan is the toxic work culture which commands almost total obedience and loyalty to your company. We don't have that in America and I bet we have more entrepreneurs. I would expect an American entrepreneur working 60 hours week to feel more satisfied than a Japanese office worker who works 40-50 hours a week. He may work less but he has a lot less control over his work and must exhibit fealty to his boss even in seemingly casual social interactions and I expect its things like that that are taking their toll on the Japanese rather than just long hours. Entrepreneurs may work themselves to the bone initially but being your own boss is probably a lot more emotionally satisfying than being the lackey of a company.

The Japanese, like the Germans, had to reevaluate who they are as a people. And they decided to become the smartest, hardest working people on Earth. Yet, it was at the detriment to their social well-being. You need a balance in life. That is what I think the Japanese are lacking.
Yeah I think they stole that from our hardworking culture in the post war era and took it too far. Today though work life in America is pretty unfulfilling as well and people are realizing it needs to change

Yeah I think they stole that from our hardworking culture in the post war era and took it too far. Today though work life in America is pretty unfulfilling as well and people are realizing it needs to change

you know what's funny? i recently turned down an offer to stay at my current job, in order to move to a job, and location, that suits me more. too many people become caught up in the rat-race of making as much money as possible. for what? to brag to a bunch of other strangers, co-workers, and friends? if your sole identity rests on your job, then i don't know, you're a different person than me lol.

i've realized this to be true a lot more, the older i get.

meh, japs are historically cited as the 'hardest working' blah blah etc

recent studies have shown Americans work far more hours, far more days without relief

and suffer far more from the syndrome than the diminutive easterners.

I still like sushi though.
according to who,zoomer techies in california?

Good find! This is why you are my Sergeant at Arms. Work to live not live to work. I took a paid day off and I'm eating burritos while making 35 dollars an hour. Three day work week next week too.

Where can I apply?

1TOPAjP.jpg

Do you have a source? I would like to read that. Not that I don't believe it, I can imagine it being true. Part of the problem with the Japan is the toxic work culture which commands almost total obedience and loyalty to your company. We don't have that in America and I bet we have more entrepreneurs. I would expect an American entrepreneur working 60 hours week to feel more satisfied than a Japanese office worker who works 40-50 hours a week. He may work less but he has a lot less control over his work and must exhibit fealty to his boss even in seemingly casual social interactions and I expect its things like that that are taking their toll on the Japanese rather than just long hours. Entrepreneurs may work themselves to the bone initially but being your own boss is probably a lot more emotionally satisfying than being the lackey of a company.

Good point!

One thing about the Japanese bosses is, they have a tradition of buying you drinks and in turn you have to accept it.

If not then it's a major disrespect towards the boss. I can't do this, I literally have to control my carbs or I end up looking and feeling like crap in a major way. Not to mention the effect of alcohol.

This the problem with traditions! I can't jeopardize my health and appearance for sake of impressing the employer. Hence I rather be my own boss and endure the certainty of my own future than to immerse myself in a life of guaranteed misery.

Americans work harder than any other country's citizens: studyhttps://nypost.com › 2017/09/03 › americans-work-harder-than-any-other-...

Are people more overworked in Japan or the United States? - Quorahttps://www.quora.com › Are-people-more-overworked-in-Japan-or-the-Uni...

I was hoping this was gonna be a Godzilla thread

japanese woman have pubic hair like those troll dolls

'whispy'

Do they not have white tigers where you are from (sorry, I don't know what this would be called in American-glish)? I would have thought pale, blonde women would exhibit this since the hair on their heads is so fine.

Right now in Japan, they have a crisis called: Karoshi, It translates as: Death by overwork

Only about 200 people die of this every year in a country of about 120 million so I wouldn't say it's as bad as all that. This is on par with the level of school suicides in Japan, so I'm not even sure I would attribute it to overwork rather than some kind of natural, national rate of death.

Also, since they are aware of it as a culture, I don't believe it can escalate too much more; the government has started to pressure companies to combat this, and there are even TV doramas about it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/business/japan-work-overtime-tv-show.html

Finally, work culture in Japan is really not significantly worse than Korea or China. This isn't some uniquely Japanese issue. It's just that in those countries you'd be called a pussy for complaining about overwork.

Do they not have white tigers where you are from (sorry, I don't know what this would be called in American-glish)? I would have thought pale, blonde women would exhibit this since the hair on their heads is so fine.

I don't know, never been with a white woman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back