Big Blue dummy, Severn combat dummy vs Bubba

Atarei

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum but I would like to ask regarding the question on top.

I know that its better to train with a real life partner etc but I'm really just interested in the quality comparison between these dummies.

The gauge of quality I'm interested in. It would be good if someone can give a comparison of their quality and perhaps answer these gauge below.

1) Can actually hold your weight (standing) - for say a flying arm bar?

2) Can hold partially some leaning weight (standing) - for say step up to a flying knee, or 1 hand on the wrist 1 hand on the elbow leverage pressure (ikkyou - aikido)

3) Can stand on its own - for throws without it leaning on support

4) Can perform aikido fine throws on the extremities rather than trunk (judo) like kote gaeshi reverse wrist throw

5) Can stretch out limbs in a certain stance, like say hands out forward.

6) Which is better for throwing, which for grappling, why? Could the bubba dummy be used for throws anyways?

7) Is bubba dummy long lasting?

Thanx there!! really would appreciate the answers or otherwise a comparison of the 2 - price asides.

i don't have any experience with them but i don't think they can stand on their own, let alone hold your weight and i would assume for throws you have to have complete control of the dummy's weight, just using the dummy's limb to do a throw wouldn't work as the dummy is just dead weight, and won't jump in the direction your want it to go, it will just flop on the ground.

i took akido and small circle juijitsu when i was a kid and and those fine limb throws are only throws because your training partner knows he has to throw himself so he doesn't get hurt, other wise they would just be quick joint breaks with your opponent flopping to the ground like the grappling dummy i guess.

i would assume they would be more for greco roman, and judo (where you control the trunk), type throws and for grappling

again i never used one so i could be wrong

Hey thanx for the pointer. I just realised that my conception of the thingy to do fine throws would be to have a whole inner body frame you can twist - I guess that is not something they would have in those dummy.

If the thing can't stand on its own, its kind of pointless to me. Might as well kind of stuff a heavy bag full of cloth and swing around ...

Thanx loads for the helpful answer.

Back