Biden wants to avoid investigations of Trump

Do you feel Trump would do the same thing?
Hell no. Trump would dig so hard he'd have Pence giving a deep roto-probe of Biden's toot.

tenor.gif

Everything Trump has ever touched has already been investigated. The guy is clean.
Lol what? There’s 10 potential instances of obstruction of justice that he could be charged with.

That makes sense. Like mentioned in the OP, he ran on trying to unite the country. Even if there are criminal activities he could ding Trump with, it undermines that message and also might set a bad precedence in the future for winning candidates to go after the loser. It’s time for people to move on from Trump and figure out what the new path for our future is.
Hmmm. One side cries hysterically for four years inciting violence where two domestic terrorist organizations (BLM and ANTIFA) were catapulted into the spotlight causing havoc across the nation. The same side that engaged in lies, vitriol and claims that everybody is racist, Nazis and fascists.

You believe all of a sudden that same side can "form a new path?" You believe Biden cares about uniting the country? Trump ran on a platform of unity, Make America Great Again. Somehow unity became racist.

Trump didn't go after Hillary when he said he would. Not that I think there was anything to go after her with seeing as the FBI already had an investigation in regards to her emails.

I'm ok with not going after Trump. The need for reconciliation in the country far exceeds the need to look into Trump's activity. I just don't want it to set a precedence.

Completely disagree.

JUSTICE far exceeds the need for reconciliation. You absolutely can not ignore a sell out of the country to China, or selling away uranium to a global rival. There needs to be accountability. THEN you can focus on reconciling. The crap Trump did prior to office pales in comparison to what the political class did to us over the decades.

I think Biden feels the way many of us do. We just dont want to hear about the bastard anymore. Plus look at the disgusting slob. Do you really think hes got alot of years left on him?

Biden doesn't have to use the DoJ.

SDNY has been working on this shit for years already.

Never show mercy to your enemies

otherwise Trump will still pull this later on

Completely disagree.

JUSTICE far exceeds the need for reconciliation. You absolutely can not ignore a sell out of the country to China, or selling away uranium to a global rival. There needs to be accountability. THEN you can focus on reconciling. The crap Trump did prior to office pales in comparison to what the political class did to us over the decades.
you have 71 million people who voted for this guy, 70% of which believe the elections were rigged. These are people who no longer trust our institutions, and going after him would play into their delusions of a desire for authoritarian regime from Democrats. We know on the surface what Trump has tried to do. We know if we dig a little deeper, we're bound to know more. But the need to restrengthen our democratic institutions and ensure the power remains in the hands of the people, and that people believe that the power is indeed theirs, is too important in the scope of American Politics.

However Trump will have his hands full when his creditors come knocking on his door, and with the criminal investigations and civil cases brought against him. He's going to spend a lot of time with his lawyers. I see more value in patching the system to prevent abuses of power like Trump got away with than to hang him publicly (so to speak).

If Biden repeats with Trump what Obama did with GWB I hope progressives will join me in immediately ending the goodwill, wait-and-see attitude currently being extended to the incoming Biden administration.

If Biden doesn't man up and stand for the rule of law relative to pursuing any and all legitimate federal charges against Trump it's not something he can blame on the GOP Senate. It will be all on Biden/Harris.

If Biden betrays our institutions the left needs to immediately go scorched earth. I sincerely hope Biden isn't as politically stupid and morally bankrupt as some of these inside sources suggest.
It’s not politically stupid. The Dems need to win back support from the people. We won the presidency but did not fare well in the House and Senate. No point causing more legal turmoil and pissing off 70 million Americans. Trump may be a vindictive worthless POS but there’s no reason we need to be. I think we should let it go.

Along the lines of Ford pardoning Nixon, I think having the DOJ go after Trump would cause a lot of damage to the country at a time when we need to try and work together. There’s no point in it.
Now state charges cannot be pardoned, so if the SDNY or whoever feels they have cause to investigate there’s not much that can be done to stop that.
He shouldn't be above the law. If he did any illegal, he should be investigated especially Jared

Hmmm. One side cries hysterically for four years inciting violence where two domestic terrorist organizations (BLM and ANTIFA) were catapulted into the spotlight causing havoc across the nation. The same side that engaged in lies, vitriol and claims that everybody is racist, Nazis and fascists.

You believe all of a sudden that same side can "form a new path?" You believe Biden cares about uniting the country? Trump ran on a platform of unity, Make America Great Again. Somehow unity became racist.

Some of his policies won’t be agreeable to conservatives but I don’t see how he’s been intentionally divisive at this point. If you watched the primary, he was the guy on stage saying there are good republicans and things like that while some of the other candidates were saying they’d prosecute Trump after the election. I know we can get into an endless argument of whether he should be tied to the more radical side of the party but I just don’t see that. Also, BLM likely isn’t happy the ticket was Biden Harris as they are probably the two who were toughest on crime out of the primary group that had a chance in winning.

it’s also important to note that the president doesn’t just prosecute some political opponent. Their justice department would be doing that and there is meant to be some degree of separation between their decisions and what the president might want. Some may see that separation as a joke but it should exist as a check on the presidents authority.

Trump may be a vindictive worthless POS but there’s no reason we need to be. I think we should let it go.

Sure. Two standards of justice. One for the rich and powerful and one for the great unwashed. A beautiful standard for the democratic party to promote. Tragic if you actually believe this.

The linked article did say Biden would leave the decision to investigate to the individual DOJ's sure the white house will give them secret support if they need it... <Kobe213>
I wonder. It would be pretty crazy if that happened. I do agree with you that we lose a lot of the political battles. Republicans use the Keyser Soze approach (remember the Usual Suspects?). They win by being willing to do things to us that we aren’t willing to in return.

Some of his policies won’t be agreeable to conservatives but I don’t see how he’s been intentionally divisive at this point. If you watched the primary, he was the guy on stage saying there are good republicans and things like that while some of the other candidates were saying they’d prosecute Trump after the election. I know we can get into an endless argument of whether he should be tied to the more radical side of the party but I just don’t see that. Also, BLM likely isn’t happy the ticket was Biden Harris as they are probably the two who were toughest on crime out of the primary group that had a chance in winning.

it’s also important to note that the president doesn’t just prosecute some political opponent. Their justice department would be doing that and there is meant to be some degree of separation between their decisions and what the president might want. Some may see that separation as a joke but it should exist as a check on the presidents authority.
Biden can act the Great Conciliator and just allow his cabinet to run with the divisive stuff openly while he sits in the background with his EO pen.

Unfortunately for team Trump state prosecutors don't care what Biden wants. They have their own mandate and it has nothing to with unifying.

Biden can act the Great Conciliator and just allow his cabinet to run with the divisive stuff openly while he sits in the background with his EO pen.

Time will tell. I’m more worried about what shift there may be in foreign policy than DOJ, housing, education, etc changes.

He seems like he really wants to pass legislation since his home is the senate and he’s known to be fine with making decent sized concessions in order to pass something vs offering less and having the bill die.

Regardless of race, sexual orientation,religion, gender or politician affiliation the ruling class always look after each other in the end

i understand biden's pov, but ffs, trump has done more damage to our country than any outside enemy could even dream of.
- trashed our international reputation
- wrecked a strong economy
- failed to respond to global pandemic
- sowed distrust in fucking democracy
- did everything possible to increase divisiveness
- installed the most corrupt administration in the history of our country further damaging democracy and creating harm that will last god-knows how long
- conned who knows how many million dumbasses out of money for his fake campaign
etc.
etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_derangement_syndrome

Back