1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Bicep Slicers: Finishes and Consequences

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bagelgod, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bagelgod Green Belt

Dear sherdog,

So, I have a question. I've had two different black belts show me two different ways to finish the bicep slicer (for a point of reference, let's just say from the armbar defense where they hold on for dear life). The first blackbelt told me to have the blade of my forearm pointing into their elbow crease, and to try and pull my wrist through their elbow while crushing their wrist down with my leg. The other black belt told me to have the blade of my forearm pointing into their bicep and forearm, and to crush down (no pulling).

Now, which one of these do you guys use? Why? Is either one more likely to break my opponents arm? Is one "safer" than the other? Sometimes when I do the latter, with my forearm blade vertical, it hurts me too (I broke my arm when I was a kid, never really been 100%). So I'll switch to the horizontal forearm, but that doesn't feel as powerful.

Finally, I've seen a lot of bicep slicer finishes where you use your arms entirely (say, from a failed kimura). And while this may hurt like crap, is there an actual possibility of breaking the bone with this arm only configuration as compared to the leg+arm way?

Love,
    bagelgod

P.S. Anatomy nerds are encouraged to speak up.

2. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Okay, a whole bunch of things here. There is one way I learned a bicep slicer when he blocks the kimura. I'm not crazy about it, and it only works in one specific position. As far as I'm concerned there are better transitions.

For the one you're talking about, it's hard to imagine based on what you're describing. I was taught to pull to finish that one (aside from the leg pressure) once I have the hold locked up. I sit back and pull. As far as forearm position, I was taught to start with it pointing into the crease, and then "cut" the blade of the forearm as I apply pressure, that is, turn it so the forearm cuts into the bicep.

I recognize there are variations, and I don't know what's best for breaking the arm (for the record that's not the only type of damage you can do with this move). But either way it's dangerous, so be careful.

3. Rod1 Titanium Belt

I don't think its possible to finish a bicep slicer with just the arms unless there is a massive strength disadvantage.

4. El Beebo Blue Belt

I learned to finish it by "wiggling" my arm from horizontal to vertical, which really irritates the biceps tendon, causing more pain. If the goal is to break the arm or do nerve damage, I don't know if vertical or horizontal is the way to go, but if the goal is to cause pain, I've found wiggling (going back and forth from horizontal to vertical) works best for me.

5. AboveThisFire Green Belt

6. mrpopenfresh Red Belt

From armbar position, I figure four the arm and pull up while pushing down like I was doing an ab crunch. In that way the blade of my arm goes into the pit of the elbow. It works great.