Bicep Slicer: could it be any more badass?

It's tough to explain but I will try my best.

I have a guy in a triangle with his left arm inside. If he goes to stack or I find I'm having problems locking in the sub I will hook my right forearm around the pit of his left arm where his biceps meets his forearm. With my left hand I control his left wrist. With my legs I keep his posture broken because if he's able to posture up and thus straighten his arm all is lost... The Triangle, the Biceps Slicer, my first-born child.

Now I will triangle his arm with my right leg over and clamp down hard with my left leg just as if I were performing a traditional triangle. When I make the angle I will shove his wrist between my legs as hard as I can and then lock the triangle into place that will also lock his wrist into my cup. Usually what happens now is with my legs not over his back to keep his posture down he raises up hard to escape which allows gravity to act on my 205 pound body thus settling in nicely into the nook of his arm. I don't have to apply any pressure at all. Gravity is doing it all for me. If I were in a fight or a no-gi tournament I'd extend my hips and try to break his shit off, though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it's pretty much the same thing as the video posted a couple posts before, right? Might have to try that.

Well...

I've had some pain in my forearm, didn't know why, assumed someone put pressure on my forearm instead of the elbow when going for an armbar during practise, but reading this thread I might know why now.

Had a competition a few months back, got put in a bicep slicer with 20 sec left and decided to endure it seeing as I wasn't feeling much, but reading this thread I wonder how close I was to getting injured.

Last edited:
Ok so we were practicing armbars and breaking grips from the armbar mount. Of course you can't sidestep the bicep slicer/crusher or however you want to call it. I found that most of the time it's pretty much a finisher and you dont even need to transition to the armbar. Thoughts?

It is effective if done right....One of my purple belts broke a guys forearm in two places. The guy was visiting to check out my school and sparred with one of my purprle belts. When he got caught in the bicep crush he refused to tap and then a loud popping noise sounded. I heard it myself and the guys arm swelled like a balloon real quick. I knew it was broke and I told him so. The guy came back later on in the week and confirmed it was fractured in two places and needed pins. Even after all that he is going to join once he gets the cast off...lol.:D

To be fair though, a lot of names existed in English before approximate translations of Japanese and Portuguese were used, or an alternate English name was invented :icon_chee

somebody did it to me while i was rolling gi
i hit the roof
he explained he'd seen it as a way to break grip and then get the armbar, but he smashed on the slicer and it bruised within seconds
he's usually a good lad, he just gets a bit "overkeen" every now and again

Yeah, I was rolling with a guy like that Wednesday. Big strong college football player that tries to power through everything. I Triangled him twice and got a D'arce too. He would just fight and fight to get out until he almost went out each time. I told him to chill a little and work on technique. So we start rolling again and he takes my back after a feakin crazy scramble and gets me in a half ass RNC that I would never tap too but his forearm was across my mouth. He squeezes as hard as he can and just about puts my teeth through my bottom lip so I tap. Right before the end of training he asks me if I am a "Certified Blue Belt" I was like huh? I wouldn't wear it if I wasn't "certified", whatever that means. He says to me, I don't have a belt but I trained in Gracie Combative's with a friend for about a year..... I was like ooook, cool. I guess he thinks because he tapped me with the RNC once that there is no way I could be a "Certified" blue belt hahaha... I bet we went home and told all his friends how he is handling blue belts already hahaha... Tonight I'm going to go a little harder on him and I think I might introduce him to a few bicep cranks to settle him down a little...

Why would this be a bad thing?

I hate it when people are pussies and just tap at the first sign of a choke, especially when I KNOW it isn't even sunk in yet. Not only does it not help them toughen up, learn defense and learn how much of a choke they can survive, but it also stops me from being able to apply proper and full technique in a live roll.

My point is... if he isn't tapping to the choke then it's YOU that's not finishing it right.

Accepted grappling etiquette is to tap when the submission is sunk in, regardless is any pressure is applied, or is it just me?

Great sub (aren't they all?). Only "dangerous" if being done to someone who doesn't realize what it is and is also an idiot. But, the responsibility also falls on the person doing it to not be an ass.

Accepted grappling etiquette is to tap when the submission is sunk in, regardless is any pressure is applied, or is it just me?

Probably not just you, but definitely not across the board. That's not how my gym works, anyway, especially with chokes.

Great sub (aren't they all?). Only "dangerous" if being done to someone who doesn't realize what it is and is also an idiot. But, the responsibility also falls on the person doing it to not be an ass.

When adults are training the responsibility is equal. While the guy applying the sub (in training anyway) has the obligation to protect his partner's saftey, the individual being placed in the hold is expected to tap before damage is done.

Competition is another ballgame. There the person in the sub is 99% responsible for what happens to them.

The way I look at it: Less people will notice or remember the guy who tapped out and walked off the mat than the guy who is dragged off or carried.

There's no harm in fighting chokes at all. I have no idea why you wouldn't want practice finishing them. That's pretty important. I actually worry if my training partners aren't going hard enough sometimes.

The whole 'zomg no spazz' thing is just strange as a whole to me. Don't slam, and don't crank submissions, because I don't want injured. Other then that, let's train hard, you know.

Back