Bicep Slicer: could it be any more badass?

mrpopenfresh

Red Belt
Reaction score
Ok so we were practicing armbars and breaking grips from the armbar mount. Of course you can't sidestep the bicep slicer/crusher or however you want to call it. I found that most of the time it's pretty much a finisher and you dont even need to transition to the armbar. Thoughts?

I taught no-gi class last night and guess what we went over? S-mount armbars and the bicep slicer. Weird.

Bicep slicer is awesome. I guess what happens is that it puts pressure on a tendon which attaches to the forearm and can break the forearm. Remember how to tap. I wouldn't tap to slicers before I heard that

That's my go-to when some douche won't let me extend his arm.

George Sotiropolous used it to great effect in one of his UFC fights. Going for the armbar, then switched to the slicer, and didn't get the sub but used it to break the grip, and then finished with the armbar.

Jacare also used it in Pride when he was facing some wrestler. He went for the bicep slicer, then transitioned to the back and finished with a RNC.

It's a great move from a lot of positions, and it opens a lot of things up. Just gotta be careful with it. Some guys try to hold out too long and get hurt. If he isn't tapping, switch to something else.

The one where you triangle the arm is the only one that can tap me, i usually lol at people trying to bicep slice with just the arms from that position

I love the bicep slicer. I hit it when people defend the triangle all the time.

The bicep slicer is a crazy move... crazy dangerous. I was rolling with my main training partner back in the day and he had a shitty bicep slicer on. (When I mean shitty, I mean it was not as deep as it should be.) Because is was not deep, I did not feel the pain, so I did not tap. Long story short, he broke my radius bone.

Also, I love the bicep slicer too. Anything to break your opponents grips while leaving an arm free to keep your base or hook their leg is priceless.

Man thats a painful submission.... Has anyone ever pulled this one off?

People who don't let you tap them are the worst

Yeah, I was rolling with a guy like that Wednesday. Big strong college football player that tries to power through everything. I Triangled him twice and got a D'arce too. He would just fight and fight to get out until he almost went out each time. I told him to chill a little and work on technique. So we start rolling again and he takes my back after a feakin crazy scramble and gets me in a half ass RNC that I would never tap too but his forearm was across my mouth. He squeezes as hard as he can and just about puts my teeth through my bottom lip so I tap. Right before the end of training he asks me if I am a "Certified Blue Belt" I was like huh? I wouldn't wear it if I wasn't "certified", whatever that means. He says to me, I don't have a belt but I trained in Gracie Combative's with a friend for about a year..... I was like ooook, cool. I guess he thinks because he tapped me with the RNC once that there is no way I could be a "Certified" blue belt hahaha... I bet we went home and told all his friends how he is handling blue belts already hahaha... Tonight I'm going to go a little harder on him and I think I might introduce him to a few bicep cranks to settle him down a little...

Last edited:
How does that work? You got a video or something?

It's tough to explain but I will try my best.

I have a guy in a triangle with his left arm inside. If he goes to stack or I find I'm having problems locking in the sub I will hook my right forearm around the pit of his left arm where his biceps meets his forearm. With my left hand I control his left wrist. With my legs I keep his posture broken because if he's able to posture up and thus straighten his arm all is lost... The Triangle, the Biceps Slicer, my first-born child.

Now I will triangle his arm with my right leg over and clamp down hard with my left leg just as if I were performing a traditional triangle. When I make the angle I will shove his wrist between my legs as hard as I can and then lock the triangle into place that will also lock his wrist into my cup. Usually what happens now is with my legs not over his back to keep his posture down he raises up hard to escape which allows gravity to act on my 205 pound body thus settling in nicely into the nook of his arm. I don't have to apply any pressure at all. Gravity is doing it all for me. If I were in a fight or a no-gi tournament I'd extend my hips and try to break his shit off, though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Back