Beyond Squats...

What exactly is a pause squat?

RJ43 said:
What exactly is a pause squat?

You go down to your lowest point (Which may be parallel, floor, whatever you stop at) and hold for at least 3 seconds. The idea is to take the stretch reflex out of the equation, thus making the upward motion more difficult. Personally I just like them because I gain confidence in the bottom position.

For the past couple of weeks I've been experimenting with sldl off of a 3-4" platform, and it's been working my back, ass and hamstings like nothing else. I never really liked standard sldl, but I've been stuck dling 435 for more than a month now, and hopefully this helps get me to 445. More of a deadlift assistance movement, but I'm guessing strengthening your back and hamstrings won't hurt your squat either. Other than that, gm, box squats, front squats, and so on.

morganfreeman said:
For the past couple of weeks I've been experimenting with sldl off of a 3-4" platform, and it's been working my back, ass and hamstings like nothing else. I never really liked standard sldl, but I've been stuck dling 435 for more than a month now, and hopefully this helps get me to 445. More of a deadlift assistance movement, but I'm guessing strengthening your back and hamstrings won't hurt your squat either. Other than that, gm, box squats, front squats, and so on.

What are your sticking points anyhow?

Sean S said:
What are your sticking points anyhow?

Right at the start of the lift. The weight won't budge. I've done rack pulls from a few inches off the floor with 455. I assume my hamstrings aren't up for it, so I've been doing alot of rdls and dl's and sldl's off a platform.

morganfreeman said:
Right at the start of the lift. The weight won't budge. I've done rack pulls from a few inches off the floor with 455. I assume my hamstrings aren't up for it, so I've been doing alot of rdls and dl's and sldl's off a platform.

Another one I've heard is good, and I am going to start using, is the snatch grip deadlifts. I've see Carnal say they were good as I have seen others. I just wonder how much push you get out of platform sldls. I can't attest either way because I've never used them.

I've never done snatch grip deadlifts. Always struck me as something that would help lockout strength more than anything else, but I'll get a few sets in next time I deadlift. Do you think it would be more benefitial to do warmup sets with a snatch grip, thus getting more bang for your buck at lower weights, or should I throw them in at the end?

morganfreeman said:
I've never done snatch grip deadlifts. Always struck me as something that would help lockout strength more than anything else, but I'll get a few sets in next time I deadlift. Do you think it would be more benefitial to do warmup sets with a snatch grip, thus getting more bang for your buck at lower weights, or should I throw them in at the end?

As far as I know, the idea of snatch grips is to cause yourself to come down farther because your hands are so spread out. Therefore, you have to use a lot more leg to move the weight. If you are talking about warming up with snatch grips then just doing deadlifts, eh personally I wouldn't do that. You might tired out your legs. However, this is just speculation on my part since I have yet to try them.

Back