Between Game Of Thrones & Breaking Bad, what should I watch?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just finished binging through the whole MCU universe. I was skeptical at first about superhero movies.. thought they were corny, but after encountering countless memes on the net about it I gave it a shot. Boy was endgame awesome.

Now game of thrones & breaking bad have countless memes too, which one is worth the binging

Breaking bad!
breaking-bad-vs-game-of-thrones-imdb-rating-i-won.jpg

Breaking Bad. About as good of a conclusion as it gets. Game of Thrones had probably the better highs between the two but it has one of the worst endings ever. The episodes are also about 15-20 mins longer so breaking bad is the better choice imho.

Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones went down the drain so severely that it's a challenge to even look back fondly on the good seasons. It basically got Dextered, but somehow worse. By the end you just feel like an idiot for having cared at one point.

The first four seasons of GOT is some of the best film making ever produced. It falls off pretty fuckin' hard after that, though.

"Breaking Bad" mostly stays consistently awesome. Some think the final season jumped the shark a bit, but I don't agree. Even if did a little bit, it's nowhere near the level of quality drop that GOT experienced.

I just finished binging through the whole MCU universe. I was skeptical at first about superhero movies.. thought they were corny, but after encountering countless memes on the net about it I gave it a shot. Boy was endgame awesome.

Now game of thrones & breaking bad have countless memes too, which one is worth the binging

Breaking bad is a much more satisfying series overall.

GOT I loved, but the last 2 seasons were straight garbage.

Game of Thrones, but stop after season 3(season 4 max) and make up your own ending.

Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones went down the drain so severely that it's a challenge to even look back fondly on the good seasons. It basically got Dextered, but somehow worse. By the end you just feel like an idiot for having cared at one point.

Nothing is worse than Dexter's downfall. GOT was rough, but at least it didn't turn into a complete parody of itself. It was just lazy and disappointing. Dexter was utterly laughable for a good three seasons.

Nothing is worse than Dexter's downfall. GOT was rough, but at least it didn't turn into a complete parody of itself. It was just lazy and disappointing. Dexter was utterly laughable for a good three seasons.

Dexter was pure dog shit after season 5, just painful to watch. But it also didn't do as good a job as GoT of making me never want to watch the good seasons again.

Dexter was kind of like 24, which was also pure dog vomit after season 5. But it's pretty easy to pretend the later seasons of 24 don't exist, and not that hard to pretend the later seasons of Dexter don't exist. It's impossible to pretend the last seasons of GoT didn't happen.

Breaking Bad is on a very short list of shows like Six Feet Under that went 5+ seasons and never drove off a cliff.

BB is my favourite show ever. Especially that first watch is one of the most Epic things ever. Often wish i could forget it and watch again without knowing what happens.

GoT was so good but dropped the ball so hard that the quality of the first 4 seasons was destroyed due to the payoff (or lack of it) in the end. Thats how much they fucked up.

Dexter was pure dog shit after season 5, just painful to watch. But it also didn't do as good a job as GoT of making me never want to watch the good seasons again.

Dexter was kind of like 24, which was also pure dog vomit after season 5. But it's pretty easy to pretend the later seasons of 24 don't exist, and not that hard to pretend the later seasons of Dexter don't exist. It's impossible to pretend the last seasons of GoT didn't happen.

Agreed on 24, but I give it a bit more of a pass for being better than it had any right to be before it dropped off. It's pretty rare for a standard cable show to be so damn good, and that format is not an easy one to pull off.

I think Dexter and GOT are actually pretty similar in their drops, in that they had very uneven middle points(season 5) that could've gone either way, but they ultimately chose the worst paths, that basically abandoned good writing for the lowest common denominator. Dexter turned into "Super Dexter", where he was treated like a hero, and the whole show was all about him being a cool serial killer, with no thought put into anything. GOT turned into the "Zombies and Dragons" show, that completely abandoned it's intricate political drama roots.

Overall though, I cringed in embarrassment at damn near every episode of Dexter from Season 6-8. GOT at least had a halfway decent 6th season, and when I watched the rest, I wasn't mad, but more disappointed. The pieces were still there to flesh out. They just cut a LOT of corners. I was straight up pissed off at what the absolute shit show "Dexter" had become. It's like the show runners hated it, and wanted to make fun of it.

Breaking Bad a million percent... Not even a question imo.

100% this ^

Went from thinking about it every day for years, to trying to forget it existed.

I think Dexter and GOT are actually pretty similar in their drops, in that they had very uneven middle points(season 5) that could've gone either way, but they ultimately chose the worst paths, that basically abandoned good writing for the lowest common denominator. Dexter turned into "Super Dexter", where he was treated like a hero, and the whole show was all about him being a cool serial killer, with no thought put into anything. GOT turned into the "Zombies and Dragons" show, that completely abandoned it's intricate political drama roots.

Overall though, I cringed in embarrassment at damn near every episode of Dexter from Season 6-8. GOT at least had a halfway decent 6th season, and when I watched the rest, I wasn't mad, but more disappointed. The pieces were still there to flesh out. They just cut a LOT of corners. I was straight up pissed off at what the absolute shit show "Dexter" had become. It's like the show runners hated it, and wanted to make fun of it.

I agree entirely about Dexter. I just find it kind of easy to mentally amputate stupid shit like his being trained to serial kill from childhood by Charlotte Rampling and all of that. It's just kind of like forgetting about Beverly Hills Cop 3.

I find it impossible to look back on the first five seasons of Game of Thrones and put it out of my mind that... (don't read, TS)

the Night King gets killed by parachuting Arya and that it all meant nothing, that all of the Kingslayer's character development amounts to nothing, that all of Dany's mercy amounts to nothing, that Tyrion and Varys become stupid as chimpanzees, etc. I can't look back with any kind of enjoyment on anything to do with the White Walkers once I've seen the whole thing.

I agree entirely about Dexter. I just find it kind of easy to mentally amputate stupid shit like his being trained to serial kill from childhood by Charlotte Rampling and all of that. It's just kind of like forgetting about Beverly Hills Cop 3.

I find it impossible to look back on the first five seasons of Game of Thrones and put it out of my mind that... (don't read, TS)

the Night King gets killed by parachuting Arya and that it all meant nothing, that all of the Kingslayer's character development amounts to nothing, that all of Dany's mercy amounts to nothing, that Tyrion and Varys become stupid as chimpanzees, etc. I can't look back with any kind of enjoyment on anything to do with the White Walkers once I've seen the whole thing.

I guess where we differ, is that I always thought the White Walkers(once they became the focus) were the albatross of the show. It just turned into a zombie show, where these TWD-like battles with them became the focus. I kind of expected it, though. I could at least ride the wave, even though it was clearly going for the cheap pops. It didn't annoy me as much. There was no such wave to ride with Dexter for me. It was just stupid, and a complete mockery of what had come before. GOT was lazy in it's execution in those later seasons. Dexter on the other hand, was a complete slap in the face. It wasn't just lazy. They went the extra mile to make it as shitty as possible.

Both of course.

Wish I could watch both for the first time again

I guess where we differ, is that I always thought the White Walkers(once they became the focus) were the albatross of the show. It just turned into a zombie show, where these TWD-like battles with them became the focus. I kind of expected it, though. I could at least ride the wave, even though it was clearly going for the cheap pops. It didn't annoy me as much. There was no such wave to ride with Dexter for me. It was just stupid, and a complete mockery of what had come before. GOT was lazy in it's execution in those later seasons. Dexter on the other hand, was a complete slap in the face. It wasn't just lazy. They went the extra mile to make it as shitty as possible.

The continuous excursions into zombie land to fight them and then come back got tiresome. But the overarching story of the dead army was arguably the main suspense and draw of the show for me...we were to eventually find out who the Night King was and how he tied into the past, there would be some smart strategy involving Jon and Bran to defeat this Terminator-esque opponent, it would all tie into Bran acquiring knowledge from the past and so on...

It all became worthless when Jon had nothing to do with winning the war, Bran's knowledge and abilities meant nothing as his only function was being bait, there was no lore or backstory revealed on what the Night King was doing and why, and he just got offed like a secondary boss like Gary Busey in Under Siege and then all of that was over and done with and forgotten.

So yeah, in the end it amounted to nothing but it was certainly presented for years as something that would be interesting with big payoffs. All the more reason I felt dumb for tuning in to see how it played out.

But agreed, I couldn't give a crap about any given episode of some good guys vs some zombie white walkers in the interim. A waste of time if it didn't result in bits of knowledge to add to their strategy to eventually win, and the whole "kidnap a zombie" to convince Cersei was stupid and rendered doubly meaningless by the writers with how all of that played out.

Last edited:
People don't like GoT as much now because the ending left a bad last impression. However it's definitely the superior product, you just have to put yourself in the mindset of enjoying the journey and not caring about the destination. The last seasons aren't as good because they ran out of book material, you can watch them or skip them and imagine your own ending.

The continuous excursions into zombie land to fight them and then come back got tiresome. But the overarching story of the dead army was arguably the main suspense and draw of the show for me...we were to eventually find out who the Night King was and how he tied into the past, there would be some smart strategy involving Jon and Bran to defeat this Terminator-esque opponent, it would all tie into Bran acquiring knowledge from the past and so on...

It all became worthless when Jon had nothing to do with winning the war, Bran's knowledge and abilities meant nothing as his only function was being bait, there was no lore or backstory revealed on what the Night King was doing and why, and he just got offed like a secondary boss like Gary Busey in Under Siege and then all of that was over and done with and forgotten.

So yeah, in the end it amounted to nothing but it was certainly presented for years as something that would be interesting with big payoffs. All the more reason I felt dumb for tuning in to see how it played out.

But agreed, I couldn't give a crap about any given episode of some good guys vs some zombie white walkers in the interim. A waste of time if it didn't result in bits of knowledge to add to their strategy to eventually win, and the whole "kidnap a zombie" to convince Cersei was stupid and rendered doubly meaningless by the writers with how all of that played out.
Hey spoiler alert

Back