Better version of Will Smith Genie

Khabibs Tiramisu

TLJ IS DOGSHIT. OH HI MARK!
@purple
Reaction score
Apparently some dude tweaked Will Smith Genie into something a bit more tolerable

EDIT: i still think it's a shitty decision to cast Will as the Genie

I think it's easier if they just CGI the whole thing and have Will Smith do the voice.

Apparently some dude tweaked Will Smith Genie into something a bit more tolerable

EDIT: i still think it's a shitty decision to cast Will as the Genie

Now THAT'S a Genie!

Casting the right fit for Genie seems like an impossible task tbh. You can’t just have version 2 of Robin Williams but you can’t have someone who isn’t charismatic enough either. I had reservations with Will Smith but I think he’ll be a fine choice.

That photoshop does seem like an improvement though. Looks more like classic genie with his defined features and bubbly look.

Just slapping Will Smith's face on the genie is really weird. I'm sure the movie will be terrible either way but a full CGI genie would be better and probably funnier.

I like it though I never really cared how the new genie looked.

But this edit reminds me of the ninja turtle face edit that looked great.
images

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-photoshop-header.jpg

massive improvment. honestly, that Alladin trailer was the worst movie trailer I've ever seen in my life. it looked like something that a youtuber would throw together

Casting the right fit for Genie seems like an impossible task tbh. You can’t just have version 2 of Robin Williams but you can’t have someone who isn’t charismatic enough either. I had reservations with Will Smith but I think he’ll be a fine choice.

That photoshop does seem like an improvement though. Looks more like classic genie with his defined features and bubbly look.

Absolutely agree. Animated genie was so much about Williams riffing. I'm sure they had tons of unused material too where they just let him go with his voices and humor. It worked great but no one could have played that version of the genie other than Williams.

Smith definitely has to put his own stamp on it. The look of the character was damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it was like Williams genie in look, people would of course unfavorably compare it when Will inevitably did his own thing with it in character. But if they made him look entirely different, then people would flip their shit that it was not their genie.

I actually saw the play in Manhattan with my family a few years back (fun time but obviously quite different from the film). The actor who played the genie basically stole the show, audience ate up the performance but it was nothing like Williams in look and quite different from him in characteristics. Still funny and larger than life but the nature of the medium made them have to do a different thing with it.

At least the live action Pocahontas won't require any CGI.

220px-Elizabeth_Warren%2C_official_portrait%2C_114th_Congress.jpg

Not interested. Everyone knows Sinbad and Robin Williams are the GOAT genies. Honorable mention to Barbara Eden.

There is no better version of Will Smith, dude is as fake as they come

This thread inspired me to watch the trailer for the 1st time.

Wow, you guys weren't exaggerating. The Genie looks awful, and I say this as someone who was a huge Will Smith fan in the 90s, he was my favorite actor for awhile back then. I thought Will was just doing genie voice work and was okay with that. Oh well I wasn't looking forward to this live action remake anyway, even if Aladdin was one of my favorite childhood movies.

I couldn't get through the live action Beauty and the Beast. I turned it off midway out of boredom. The characters just lacked the charm of the animated film.

The only one of these I think has good potential is The Lion King, mainly because of Jon Favreau.

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to watch the trailer for the 1st time.

Wow, you guys weren't exaggerating. The Genie looks awful, and I say this as someone who was a huge Will Smith fan in the 90s, he was my favorite actor for awhile back then. I thought Will was just doing genie voice work and was okay with that. Oh well I wasn't looking forward to this live action remake anyway, even if Aladdin was one of my favorite childhood movies.

I couldn't get through the live action Beauty and the Beast. I turned it off midway out of boredom. The characters just lacked the charm of the animated film.

The only one of these I think has good potential is The Lion King, mainly because of Jon Favreau.

I did the exact same thing with Beauty and the Beast. It was a success technically but it was just an empty experience.

Someone suggested Terry Crews as the genie, I think it would have worked better.

Back