Better Striking, Maia or Shields?

Maia has a significant striking advantage. He has good head movement, footwork, distance, timing, and rhythm.

Shields may have more pure power and better kicks, but every other facet of his striking is virtually non-existent.

There is the appearance of striking and the effectiveness of striking. I think Shields has appearance but Maia might be slightly more effective in using it to set up a takedown.

Maia. And do you know how bad that is when Demian fucking Maia is considered a better striker than you are?

One of the two knows how to throw a punch with their fist closed, and it isn't Shields.

Shields' striking is inferior but far more judge friendly.

maia has better technique. Shields has very bad technique but he throws a shit load of strikes, volume of strikes thrown can make the difference

Maia, easily. His striking has been shit on for one fight where he and Chris were both at like 50%. A couple of fights prior he rocked Munoz and forced him to hug his way to a questionable W.

Outside of those two fights, he's stood with Grove, Miranda, Miller, and some scrub named Anderson Silva and managed to not get decimated, winning 3 of those 4.
Someone just typed "Hurr Durr K1 Maia" and thus everyone repeated it, because it's sherdog, where the funniest guy is the one who repeats the same joke 50 times.

Maia's got good footwork, good shoulder defense, and counters really well.
Shields is just terrible at striking. Nice kicks though.

Good breakdown, I think Maia's striking is better in everything but kicks.

Shouldn't it be 'Worse Striking'? Better would imply that either has good striking......

+1 although the second part is false.

They are both god awful strikers, but I think Shield can score more points with his busy bee style.

Maia is better everywhere its just Shields cardio that worries me

I don't know. Maia's striking seems more fluid, but Shields's stand up seems surprisingly effective based on results relative to how stiff it is. I don't think striking will be the difference maker in this fight. I think it will be Maia's superior grappling. Shields is a great grappler, but Maia is truly world class.

Whoever refs that fight probably has better striking than both guys combined.

Shields is clearly the better striker in my opinion. Not even struggling to pick tbh. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I think Maia is better but that's not saying much.

Honestly I don't like Maia striking, I was briefly worried about him sparring with Fitch, he looked awful at that.

Maia is better everywhere its just Shields cardio that worries me

Seems like Shields has a better top game(control) and is a better scrambler than Maia but I think Maia is better in most other areas. Maia made a mistake in making this a grappling match which is kind of crazy to think about. He would have won if he made it a kickboxing match.

Maia. He was winning the stand up. Shields was just throwing flashy headkicks and judges love activity and flashy strikes. Shields won via looking more active. Maia won rounds 1, 4, and 5. I thought that was fairly obvious. Judges cant get shit right. Maia wont be moving up the ladder now.
Damn judges fucked Machida and now Maia.

Lame poll.

Pick two fighters. Add their greatest weakness. Create poll.

WTF?

Back