Better Striking, Maia or Shields?

Maia for sure Shields striking is so fucking awkward sometimes it hurts watching him try and strike even his stance looks so awkward and stiff but I'm still a fan for some reason lol.

2v807b9.jpg

i think this causes maia

Maia is the better striker. Shields has a terrific chin, but Maia is better technically, and also has more power.

Anderson remarked after their fight that he was surprised by Maia's power, and Wanderlei who trained with Maia also stated that he has surprising power. And of course we know he wobbled Munoz pretty bad.

That terrible fight with Weidman also looks better in retrospect, Maia was sick and Weidman drained from a terrible weight cut so I'm not sure how much that fight actually means, but not getting schooled by Weidman on the feet does mean something IMO. Evan a drained Weidman packs big power and Maia didn't get outstruck that bad.
Demian is a decent striker, but everyone is forgetting something about shields.

Shields isn't a powerful striker, nor a great striker, but he is very active. If I remember correctly, he outlanded woodley in the clinch, in their uneventful fight. I feel maia knocking out shields is out of the question, and I feel shields can actively outstrike him should it stay on the feet.

Pulling for Maia though.
Yes this is true. Shields striking looks absolutely terrible - yet somehow he's actually effective with it sometimes.

He did outland GSP (in terms of pure volume), although the eyepokes obviously contributed to that. Still, most fighters wouldn't be able to do that to GSP even with the eyepokes. None of his non-eyepoke strikes hurt GSP of course, while GSP did hurt Shields so GSP outstruck him overall, but Shields had a bit more volume of strikes landed than GSP. Shields normally has very good cardio - the Kampmann fight was an exception because of the terrible weight cut -so he's able to put a lot of volume out there, with his weak jabs and awkward yet effective kicks.

That volume attack also caused him to outstrike Akiyama. Which logically simply should not have happened, yet somehow it did :icon_conf

Much of Shields' effectiveness though comes from people being so afraid of his ground game, and that's not something Maia has to worry about.

So I expect Maia to both outstrike and outgrapple Shields. Maia won't be worried about Shields' ground game, in fact he'll probably look for takedowns. So - I assume anyway! - he won't freeze up like so many of Shields' opponents do.

Shields' main way of winning this fight is if he can get top position and hug for dear life - which I doubt, because Maia actually has excellent TDD, and he probably has better takedowns than Jake as well. Maia also has an excellent clinch game so I don't think Jake can wall and stall Maia either.

I'd be surprised if Maia loses this fight. I will give some credit to Jake though and say he always manages to outperform what he "should" do. Him beating Hendo was unbelievable (though Hendo's back injury likely played a large role, I mean Hendo easily stuffed Rashad but couldn't stop Shields, clearly something was up there).

Also he won a round or two off GSP, outstruck Akiyama, and beat Woodley in a fight he had no business winning stylistically. Woodley froze up though which I don't think Maia will, so I think Maia will do what he should do, and win this fight.

There are women at the local Title boxercise gym with better striking than Jake "Please at least let me land my body kick" Shields.

Shields' striking is very poor.
Maia's is average, with some decent technique.

Really, it's Maia then daylight.

Oh, forgot to mention Shields has a huge edge in eye pokes - may be a factor in the standup.

Maia has improved striking and Shields had his run being a P4P fighter.

Maia, for sure. He's way way better than Shields. Outstruck Weidman in the 1st round IMO.

Jake is one of the worst strikers ever in the UFC.

Since when has Maia had shit striking like people think? he looked bad against Weidman and Marquardt and thats it.

Maia. Shields is possibly the worst striker in the UFC the only reason why he doesn't ko'd standing against anyone is his inhuman chin and because no one dares throwing a punch in fear of getting wrestlefucked

If we're not including eye pokes / rakes / gouges then Maia.

Shields has an ability to lean back on his kicks and hit them on the counter, as well at awkward angles. They're not especially powerful, but they are unusual and work to some effect. It's really his only good standing attribute.

Maia has shown some decent power in his boxing. While it's stiff and somewhat telegraphed, I'll take it over Shields.

I think Maia has better everything.

Shields striking looks like shit.

Maia, even though I don't see him winning K1 open weight this year, has developed crisp technical striking. I think it is good enough to survive against a good striker and good enough to out strike a shitty striker, and while Shields is a good fighter, I consider him to be a shitty striker. (say what you want about the GSP fight, his body of work doesn't impress me on the feet)

maia but not because it's any good - shields almost has no striking.

Shields is the reason why fighters shouldn't be ranked that high until they prove it in the octagon.

You are spot on with that and he was so overrated after beating Lawler and Hendo it was sickening.

Back