Better strikers than Aldo in Thailand, Holland, elsewhere??

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Almus Monk, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

So I got your attention by pretending to sound like Aldo has the greatest stand-up ever and even better than all the thai's and muaythai fighters around the world...

My question is, I love his style, the way he delivers his leg kicks, knee's, flying knee's etc.

I watch a bit of k1 now and again and trained a bit of mauy thai, but which k1 or muay thai fighters from thailand or holland (anywhere/style actually) has a similar style and legkick and knee's as Aldo but obviously on a better scale as they would.

I see Buakaw is pretty awesome and obviously on a different level, but I dont see him using knee's like that.
    Thanks guys

2. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

That's because Buakaw is in the ring against guys who can actually fight stand up.

Buakaw is like a Ferrari amongst Ferrari's while Aldo is like a Mustang amongst mini vans.

3. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

lol, I clearly know that. Im just wondering about fighters who have similar styles. Also Aldo is much lighter

4. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

5. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

I think if Aldo completely dedicated himself to k-1 style striking and competed in the upcoming/ planned 63kg tourney, he could do well, and possibly win it. He's just so athletic and has such a solid mental game, I really do think he could hang with the top guys at 139. It might be a bit of a rough cut for him, but if he could make it then he could do some serious damage.

That said, if Buakaw does head down to 63 kilos, he'd probably wreck shit on Aldo. In straight MT rules, he'd really bust him up.

It's all moot though because Zuffa contracts are exclusive, and Dana hasn't sent anyone over to Japan since Chuck flopped in the Pride GP. Would be awesome to see, though.

PS- I don't think Aldo would do well against the likes of Petro, Souwer, Kraus, or even Zambo.

6. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

I know, no clinching sucks. I didnt even want to make this into a Aldo vs thread.
    Just other fighters with a similar fast explosive style, with the knees and kicks but on a better level.

Doesnt have to be K1 fighters, cause I dont know too much about the rest of the world muay thai or kickboxing scene. Im sure there are some awesome thai fighters that just fight in muay thai, with a similar style but miles better

7. FadeIntoViolenc

Thai fighters are usually more flat footed and the fight tempo is much different.

8. buttermania**

buttermania** Banned Banned

This guy is better; definitely better:

9. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

Aldo can bomb away on an opponents leg when they are in a wider, lower stance for MMA, but I can't see it being that easy for him against someone who is expecting it.

He is talented all the same though. I'd like to see him match stand up skills against Edgar.

10. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Kohi, Kido, etc.

Some of the best knees look weak ie Sato

Kohi had a nice one on Kraus too.

11. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

It's hard to define "better" or "worse" since MMA and pure striking have such different flows and rhythms.

Lemme give you a great example: Steve Nash. He used to be an average player, and then with the rule change becomes one of the greatest point guards to have ever lived.

Nothing changed, really, except the rules.

Duane Ludwig comes to mind - dude's been outstruck by lots of people in MMA I have no doubt he'd whoop their ass in a Muay Thai / K-1 match.

12. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

But to answer question, Aldo's style is pretty similar to the k-1 style IMHO. Lots of standing knees and variety of techniques. He doesn't throw big punch combinations like they do in K-1 but then again nobody in MMA really throws big combinations - Aldo might fight differently if he did straight up kickboxing.

In terms of a person who uses all the techniques in variety and effect, Georgio Petrosyan is similar to Aldo. But Petrosyan is a different style than Aldo - "The Doctor" is more of a precision counterstriker and Aldo doesn't use that style.

Watch Georgio Petrosyan vs. Albert Krauss. Or vs. Yamamoto or vs. Askerov. It's kind of a similar deal like Aldo vs. anybody where both the opponent is trying to do one thing and Petrosyan/Aldo just bangs them at every opportunity, makes them pay for every mistake.

13. jamiesda

jamiesda White Belt

sanchai sor kingstar has some sick step up knees and push kicks, hes much more flamboyant than aldo but when u said knees i thought sanchai

14. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

Thanks guys. Some awesome replies.
    I have noticed the thais are flatter footed but again they are all fighting high level guys

15. FadeIntoViolenc

Depends on the Thai fighter. Some are livelier and then you got guys like Yodsanklai who plod, stalk, and pressure you with a very physically imposing style and will break you down mentally and physically round after round by not only hitting your weak spots, he will break down your strong spots, your guard, your arms, your body until you have nothing left.

16. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Superlek has a similar style with high output of low kicks.