Better striker, prime Ace or Weidman?

EricaLovesUFC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Putting their fights with Silva aside (because you can't compare a 32 year old Silva that fought Franklin with the 38 year old one that fought CW), what do you think?

I think prime Ace was more accurate and technical than Weidman. But I think Weidman has faster, crisper and more powerful punches than prime Ace.

Edge to Weidman

Id say Weidman for sure, I think his grappling makes his striking better since he opponents are worried about that TD they are at more of a risk to get blasted in the face with some Weidman impact.

I think weidman has the more powerful punches, but Rich was, in his day anyway, overall the "better" striker.

Rich had great angles and footwork, threw many of the guys he fought( besides anderson) off. Solid power and mixed kicks and punches well. Weidman has straighter punches and maybe more raw power but we havent seen a lot of his striking yet as well.

Ace had the better striking, but I don't think Weidman has reached his prime just yet.

Most of what Weidman does is pretty sound fundamentally. It is tough to really compare when we haven't seen a great deal of Chris' striking. Obviously doing what he did to Silva is huge, but there is just so much more to go off of with Rich who was a respectable striker. I'd say that Weidman has shown flashes of certainly being the better striker, but I'd like to see more to give a definitive answer.

rich has more diverse striking, but weidmann is more sound (defense and accuracy).

I'd say Rich was the better striker. Weidman is pretty damn solid himself though. Creative and has good power.

I think Franklin is and was better via technigue wise. But Weidman probs can be more effective via takedown threat and probs more power.

Well Weidman beat silva, while Ace got humiliated by silva twice.

So I think I know who the better striker is.

rich-franklin-anderson-silva-kne-1.gif

ibpTAYvgSlVH1S.gif

Rich Franklin was overrated to the shit house! Not even close to Weidmans ability!

This is a no contest. Rich easily. Weidman is good defensively, but everywhere else? Rich Franklin.

ace did well in just hands. Anderson actually had to resort to clinching and didn't want to go toe to toe with ace in the opening minutes of their fights

Weidman had better hand, rich is better in Other aspect of striking.

Ace now is the better striker. Prime Franklin is waaay better!

tumblr_mdbp7g8LRT1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

Rich is a crowd pleaser with his striking but its predictable and not very fundamental. Chris's style is more nuanced, reactions based on positioning of his opponents and his level changes and footwork add to it along with body posturing. Hes far more calculated as well.

Back