Better MT/KB tape set: Kaman, Urquidez or Kamnark

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Foolkiller, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    I'm looking to get some MT instructionals for Christmas and would like some advice on what to get. The Kaman set seems cheap but comprehensive. Kamnarks are pricy but there are less and I have heard nothing but good things about them. The Urquidez set caught my eye but I haven't heard much about them so any opinions would be welcomed. If you guys could put forth your own to help me decide what to get I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

I was actually thinking about the same. Any information would be appreciated.

3. Freestyler

Freestyler Purple Belt

I have oen of the Kamans...Its pry the most straight forward video ive watched...you warm up, punches, then combos...I liked it...

4. sir037

sir037 Forever Noob

I haven't watched the other 2, but I love the Kaman set. It's very thorough. Part of what you might consider is whether you like to pivot or step when you kick or throw a knee. I use the step which is what Kaman uses. I've read that the Kanmark set is good too, I would imagine that Vut uses the pivot.

5. Matt

Matt Titanium Belt

I would go with Rob Kaman. I've seen those vids and they seem to pretty good in terms of fundamentals and bag and pad drills.

Benny was not a muay thai stylist. If you want kickboxing instead of muay thai, you might want to go with that.

Vut...Nice guy whom I've met a couple times but I have never seen the vids, so I can't recommend them.

6. vadrip

vadrip Orange Belt

*Edit: No bootlegging or tape trading allowed. Careful with that please. Thanks.

- Rex

7. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

ive only seen the rob kaman instructionals and they are pretty good

8. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

I have the McCullough ones. They're good for improving your form and mechanics, but they teach no defense or sparring or anything. So it's more on the mechanics of your strikes. Which is definitely important.

9. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

This is what is most important to me. I want to improve my technique so I can apply them in my own manner in combat. I rather have an in deph of striking and mechanics than a
    "how to spar"

10. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

I only saw the Kaman set, it's pretty good.

11. vadrip

vadrip Orange Belt

Maybe, the McCullough series gets better with that compilation with him, Shonie Carter and Vincent Soberano all together teaching muay thai http://www.islandmartialarts.com/index.cfm?ac=ShowProducts&CatID=86&SetCat=1

Also, you might want to try Duane Ludwig muay thai set http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...753&categoryId=13960&parent_category_rn=13756

Or Even, for the most cheapest route try Bas Rutten's old pancrase series, just his two striking ones http://www.centuryfitness.com/webap...753&categoryId=10277&parent_category_rn=13756

12. recoil

recoil Orange Belt

kaman is by far the best set...... ive got like 6 hours of tape of his instructionals that i recorded off a freind.... they are not labeled but from what i can tell there is two sets. one with three parts and one with like 5-6 parts..... he also0 has some advanced stuff like fight prep and how to stay on top once you get a title or are at a high level.

13. Armed'nHammered

Armed'nHammered White Belt

I've got both the Kaman and Kamnark series, I prefer Vut's method, he goes very in detail into the basic strikes, and has a great fighting strategies video that helped me out quite a bit in a short time. Good to study, but hopefully your still getting into a real gym to put it all to use.

14. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    So the Kaman set is good but the But series is better in terms of detail given to the instruction?

I'm still getting to class, I'd just rather not get knocked about so much and I figure some added instruction couldn't hurt.

15. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

Vut Kamnarks tapes I think are way much better than Kaman.

16. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

just "way better" or "much better".

Don't see you make mistakes often, Krellik, thought this might be a typo, but in case it was a mistake, I figure the least I can do for my international friends is not let you get by making a mistake. You'll just make it again.

Man, this forum has got to be good practice if you use English at all where you are.

17. jk_08

jk_08 White Belt

You can download Kaman for free off the internet.. :)