Better for MMA: Powerlifting or Olympic lifts?

holiday7901

White Belt
Reaction score
If you only had enough recovery time to focus on one style of lifting, which style would be better to focus on: bench press, deadlift, and squats; or clean and press and snatches? To go even further, if you could only do 5 of the following exercises for combat sports, which ones would you choose:

Bench Press
Chin-ups
Deadlift
Trap Bar Deadlift
Squat
Overhead Squat
Clean and Press
Snatch
Dumbbell Snatch
Turkish Getup
Military Press

Holiday

I don't really think you would absolutely have to focus on one or the other but you wouldn't be able to do as much of them as someone who wasn't training combat sports.

As for my five:

1) chins
2) Deadlift
3) Clean and press
4) Squat
5) Turkish Getup

However, this is more of a false dilemma than anything so don't feel you have to be limited to these exercises (either the list you gave or the one I gave). it would more depend on what you have set up for training during the week, how many rest days you have, what your diet is like, upcoming competitions, etc etc.

Don't think of it as Powerlifting or Olympic lifting for MMA. There's no reason you have to do the lifts from either as a set.

Ideally you'd want to include some variation of back squat or front squats, some kind of heavy pull (deadlifts, cleans), some kind of upper body pull, and some kind of upper body push. And then probably supplement that with some kind of core work/posterior chain work.

But if you gave more details about your routine, and how you might want to work individual lifts, then better advice could be given.

cant seem to pick just 5

Bench Press
Chin-ups
Deadlift
Squat
Snatch
Turkish Getup

1, Pull ups way better then chin ups
2, Holding dumbells in your hands then jump up high
3, Squat
4, Deadlift
5, Bench press

My workout only has a couple lifts

Full Clean
Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Overhead Press

then some accessory lifts
Weighted Dips
Pull ups/Chin Ups
Bent Over/Vertical Rows
Flys

Both types of lifts are good for MMA, you just need to do them at the correct time and they need to be in tune with your skill and cardiovascular work

You shouldnt think of training as either or, but im going to play the pick 5 game. This is pertaining to martial arts, not general strength. / indicates choice or tie

1.Press
2.Deadlift
3.Squat
4.Vertical Pull/Dumbell Row
5.Incline Bench Press/Dips

1, Pull ups way better then chin ups
2, Holding dumbells in your hands then jump up high
3, Squat
4, Deadlift
5, Bench press

Two of these make sense.

But squat? Bench press? Deadlift?

My answer:

1. Deadlift
2. Squat
3. Barbell Hip Thrusts
4. Chin-Ups
5. Push Press

if you are strong in either oly or PL lifts then you are a strong person.

According to Bas Rutten's videos he mentions doing exercises that mimic the moves you use in a fight. Here are some examples:

Dips (similar move to TDD of pushing down the head)
Standing Barbell curls (underhooks)
Elbows-in push-ups (similar move to punching)
Sled pull/push (similar to double-leg takedown)
some type of rows (same motion as a choke)

I think you get the idea. I wouldn't stick to just 5 moves but rather do some sort of rotation adding these as supplemental exercises to the big 3.

I think many of those lifts mentioned are beneficial.I would be torn to have to limit myself to just five though.

Kettlebells are better for MMA strength.

Back