Movies Better Director: Christopher Nolan vs Zack Snyder

Which one is the better director?

• Total voters

I Fusion I

Everything you can imagine is real
@Brown
Reaction score
A simple one this. Do you prefer Christopher Nolan or Zack Snyder films?

Following (1998)
Memento (2000)
Insomnia (2002)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Prestige (2006)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Inception (2010)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Interstellar (2014)
Dunkirk (2017)
Tenet (2020)

TV series or online series works: Westworld

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
300 (2006)
Watchmen (2009)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Zack Snyder's Justice League (2020)
Army of the Dead (2020)

(Snyder has done no TV or online series work)

Snyder by 300 and Watchmen
Worse director but better entertainment value and no "gritty realism" bullshit
<WellThere>

I don't really see how anyone could say Snyder. I'm a Snyder fan too. I like him more than Nolan when he's at his best, but Nolan objectively has the better filmography.

Not sure why Snyder keeps on getting these matchups. The guy is either a lower tier good director or a higher tier middling director. Most of his lineup is a snapshot of try-hard summer blockbusters that aim high and miss the mark of being anything spectacular. When the crowing gem of your lineup is 300 (maybe Watchmen), you aren't that great a director.

Reactions: Zer
This is like a lightweight going in there with a heavyweight lol

Nolan spanks him up and down the film room.

Lol this isn’t even a remotely close matchup. What does Snider really have on that list that compares with the Batman trilogy or Inception? I see a lot of mediocrity from Snider and a couple outright bad movies.

Nolan by KO.

This matchup reminds me of this

what do you mean? How is that film related with Nolan or Snyder?

I think Nolan's films have far more depth and texture than people say;

Memento is a film about the uncertainity of memory and trying to create meaning in a life that's been disrupted. The Prestige is about the obsession that goes in to being an artist. It's a Faustian tale which only completely reveals its Faustiness near the end. Nolan's arguably most epic and personal film Inception is a story about a man letting go of the memory of his deceased wife, as well as his guilt about being responsible for her death. And The Dark Knight? Wow, arguably more than any super hero film to date, that movie is just dense with ideas about the political and soical landscape of America.

Last edited:
I like both, but Nolan had pretty clearly made the better movies.

Not sure why Snyder keeps on getting these matchups. The guy is either a lower tier good director or a higher tier middling director. Most of his lineup is a snapshot of try-hard summer blockbusters that aim high and miss the mark of being anything spectacular. When the crowing gem of your lineup is 300 (maybe Watchmen), you aren't that great a director.

It's like he's locked in ts's basement and is being forced to watch himself lose all these polls

Truthfully, Snyder is pretty terrible. Dawn of the dead is still his best movie but that remake was awful compared to the original.

Snyder is Coleman in that boxing match.

Ooh. I understand now. I forgot to add Aronofsky in the poll btw.

Nolan is the real deal. The comparisons to legends like Cameron and Mann are deserved.

Snyder is really good at fooling people into making those comparisons but he's all hype.

His directing actually seems to be heavily criticized quite often, I remember when Batman vs. Superman was released there were numerous articles dissecting what he did wrong on a scene by scene basis, both image construction and his usual zoom and fast cuts other than slow motion.

If you don't know, I am referring about how he misses the timing and makes the scene slower losing all the reason for that specific and stylistic choice.

Snyder has maybe 2/3 actually good films. His DC movies and Army of the Dead were legit terrible.

Back