Better Career, Gilbert Melendez or Nate Diaz?

Nate likely will have more money and fame, but I am far more impressed with Gilbert.
This.

I think Gilbert is better. I wish he crossed over to the UFC sooner. Had the better career and has been consistently good.

Gilbert brings it every single time. Nate does not.

Yeah no.
Both fought for the title, both lost the title shot, both have some good wins but tend to fail against elite competition.
Their careers are very similar only that Cowboy beat up some more bums.
When they fought Nate destroyed him. You seem to be a bit anti-Nate biased.

He may have lost heads-up but Cerrone has a better resume.

Gilbert is ranked higher than Nate as far as all time great LWs, but Nate by far has the way better career. It doesn't even compare when it comes to pay, and notoriety. And dare I say, I bet if they actually fought, Nate would best him. I think he has the right skills to give Melendez the beating most people have failed to do.

Suck it, Sherdicks.

i made a post a while back and i gott shit on for saying Gil but im sticking to my man!

I will say that Gil is more consistent than Nate, plus he has a better wrestling base which has helped him out a lot. But when they are both at their best Nate is better.

Not true. 09-11 Giblert is better than any version of Nate and was ranked consistently in the top 10 P4P which Nate has never even been remotely in consideration for. Peak, prime, career all favor Giblert.

Giblert is on Shields level as far as career, both far surpass Nate.

Off top of head BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, RDA, Benson Henderson, Gomi, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Hansen, Thomson, Cerrone, Alvarez, Melendez, Ribeiro, Aoki, Pettis, Ferguson, Khabib.

That's 17 anyways, Im sure there's more im forgetting

I dont think Ferg or Khabib have done enough yet. Agree with the rest.

I hear people saying Nate isn't Top 20. I'm not knowledgable enough in the LW division to make such a list. Which 20 guys would you put ahead of him?
With wins over McGregor, Johnson, Miller, Cerrone, Gomi, and Guillard, he's done pretty well for himself, and he's probably Top 30, at least.

Cowboy top wins

Eddie
Benson
Edson
Jury
Jim
Stephens
Dunham
Varner
Castillo

Nate's top wins

Cowboy
Johnson
Jim
Gomi
Gray
Guillard

Yeah Cowboy has clearly been better and he's been ranked higher for longer and had better streaks.

H2H doesn't mean everything or Joe Stevenson who also got a title shot and dominated and almost finished Nate would be higher but he has no case for career.

Cerrone also beat Guillard, head kick

I hear people saying Nate isn't Top 20. I'm not knowledgable enough in the LW division to make such a list. Which 20 guys would you put ahead of him?
Nate is near the top. He is too inconsistent. He destroyed cowboy then gets beat by Thompson. He is. Basically a win 2 , lose 1 the last 10 years. He is better than his record but not consistent enough to be elite. He has a couple of years to get it together for a run but I won't hold my breath.

Not true. 09-11 Giblert is better than any version of Nate and was ranked consistently in the top 10 P4P which Nate has never even been remotely in consideration for. Peak, prime, career all favor Giblert.

Giblert is on Shields level as far as career, both far surpass Nate.

I dont think Ferg or Khabib have done enough yet. Agree with the rest.

Yeah but they make up for me missing Sherk, Pettis, and Aurelio lol

No order

BJ
Gomi
Eddie
RDA
Frankie
Benson
Giblert
Aoki
Pettis
Kawajiri
Joachim
Shaolin
Gray
Aurelio
Kenflo
Cowboy
Sherk
Pulver
Uno
Thomson

Nate is right behind tho. The Michael Johnson win was big but in terms of wins and rankings over course of a career I can't put him ahead of those guys, he's right there tho with like Edwards, JZ, Chandler, Sato, Mach, Clay etc.

Diego was also really good at one point. Brooks already has a resume but is out Nate ahead for sure at least for now.

Cerrone also beat Guillard, head kick

Yeah but Melvin wasnt top ranked at the time had been choked b2b easily by JLau and Jim, then beat Camoes in a decision.

Actually he wasnt a top guy when Nate beat him either and i remember thinking Tibau beat him at the time.

Gilbert is ranked higher than Nate as far as all time great LWs, but Nate by far has the way better career. It doesn't even compare when it comes to pay, and notoriety. And dare I say, I bet if they actually fought, Nate would best him. I think he has the right skills to give Melendez the beating most people have failed to do.

Suck it, Sherdicks.

Pay and notoriety lol

Their careers aren't even close.

Yeah but Melvin wasnt top ranked at the time had been choked b2b easily by JLau and Jim, then beat Camoes in a decision.

Actually he wasnt a top guy when Nate beat him either and i remember thinking Tibau beat him at the time.

Yeah hes not really a top win for either of them. Guillard is kind of like Paul Daley, fearsome looking and athletic but loses to almost every single top fighter they face. Though Cerrone beat him standing which is kinda a bit more impressive than the easy takedown route.

Suck it, Sherdicks.

Nate has always struggled against guys who can wrestle him and mix up their boxing and kicking games. Benson, RDA, Thomson, Gray, Clay.......

The only ones hes beaten are a washed up Gray who didnt use his wrestling anymore and a way washed up Gomi who didnt use his wrestling anymore either.

His wins basically come against other sturikers who dont or cant wrestle him at a high level (Cerrone, Melvin, Conor, Johnson, Marcus etc) or BJJ guys who dont have strong taichydown games (Jim, Pellegrino, Junior etc.). Guys as complete and well rounded as Gil with a strong wrestling game have always beaten him for the almost all the time.

Giblert is a bad style matchup and 09-11 Giblert handily beats any version of Nate. You could think Nate would best him but in reality Nate doesnt have a good shot at winning that one.

Gilly the kid but Nate's career is r from over

No order

BJ
Gomi
Eddie
RDA
Frankie
Benson
Giblert
Aoki
Pettis
Kawajiri
Joachim
Shaolin
Gray
Aurelio
Kenflo
Cowboy
Sherk
Pulver
Uno
Thomson

Nate is right behind tho. The Michael Johnson win was big but in terms of wins and rankings over course of a career I can't put him ahead of those guys, he's right there tho with like Edwards, JZ, Chandler, Sato, Mach, Clay etc.

Diego was also really good at one point. Brooks already has a resume but is out Nate ahead for sure at least for now.
Gomi, cowboy, and gray all got their ass's beat by Nate. Try again.

Gilbert was very close to getting the belt. While i don't think that taking Benson to a SD is a unique achievement, Nate was never ever particularly close to becoming a champ.

Back