Television Better Call Saul - Season 5 Discussion

Probably my favorite episode of the whole show. Goddamn that was good.

Her scene with Howard was probably my favorite of the series.

This scene here was Rhea at her best-

Look at how her expression changes from giddy celebration to doubting concern when Saul starts to emerge from Jimmy. TV women tend to be poorly written annoyances (see Skyler White, Carmela Soprano, Margaret Thompson and so on...) so it's a breath of fresh air to see a fully fleshed out female lead portrayed with depth and realism.

People deal with trauma in different ways. He reacted strangely to Chuck's death. He holds Kim in higher regard obviously but Chuck was his brother.

It is simpler than that. He was given the choice either to roll over and die or do the damn thing. I think it was a statement to Saul's self-preservation more than anything. Lalo even said in the episode "He's a survivor."
I don't think so. Jimmy would eat a bullet if Kim dies like that.

I don't think so. Jimmy would eat a bullet if Kim dies like that.
I think you're missing the point of his transition to Saul. He is ultimately becoming a selfish douche bag only out to make money any way he can. Kim was adamant about him not being the bagman, but he sweet talked her into it. The subtext of that scene is Kim had genuine concerns about Jimmy's actions and Jimmy basically told her to stfu.

just watched last episode. lots of good stuff. jimmy refusing the chuck blanket initially, then embracing and wearing it like chuck, to discarding it after his near death experience. add to that his dead in a ditch car, his favorite cup shot, it seems like almost all the strings to jimmy are being cut so saul can finally take over. just that one last one, and she already got the ball rollin on that. i don't think this ends well for her.

Skyler White, Carmela Soprano, Margaret Thompson

I agree with all of them except Carmela Soprano. Edie Falco was flat out phenomenal at times in her scenes with James Gandolfini. She could be annoying at times like pretty much every wife portrayed on television but Edie Falco's acting saved the day

I agree with all of them except Carmela Soprano. Edie Falco was flat out phenomenal at times in her scenes with James Gandolfini. She could be annoying at times like pretty much every wife portrayed on television but Edie Falco's acting saved the day
Yeah, I should have said Janice and Dr. Melfi instead.

Janicesoprano.jpg

They dragged down the show whenever they were on.

just watched last episode. lots of good stuff. jimmy refusing the chuck blanket initially, then embracing and wearing it like chuck, to discarding it after his near death experience. add to that his dead in a ditch car, his favorite cup shot, it seems like almost all the strings to jimmy are being cut so saul can finally take over. just that one last one, and she already got the ball rollin on that. i don't think this ends well for her.
Lots of self-referential easter eggs in this episode. I dig this shot here- Mike lit by Breaking Bad green while Jimmy has the BCS yellow.
yxade5pfner41.png

Finally got caught up last night. Great show and I agree with the critical consensus that it's superior in some ways to BB.

But to me BCS has a major shortcoming relative to BB: it's hard to get as invested because none of the characters are truly relatable. Walt and Jesse really pulled you in and made you root for them from the start. Jesse was never driven by big money and Walt was motivated only to spare his family the cost of chemotherapy and to be a good husband and father. By the time Walt completes his heel turn, he's such a badass that you're still rooting for him anyway.

Jimmy OTOH is like a ne'er do well uncle at Thanksgiving dinner that you laugh at, not with. He might be interesting but you never really get close to him because he's just so damn weird. He makes you sympathize with him as he's being bullied by Chuck and an underdog at HHM, but even before he completes his heel turn, he's screwing innocent people out of money and generally being enough of an asshat that you don't fully want him to succeed.

Also I'm sorry but Jonathan Banks just looks too damn old. At 73 he's not THAT old but he looks like shit and seems to have lost a step in this season - he's slower and lower energy and not believable as the badass enforcer he becomes years later in BB.

Minor characters like Ernesto (the assistant Chuck fires for helping Jimmy) are the ones you want to root for, followed by Kim and Nacho. And I'm more interested in the outcome of the black and white flash forward sequences than the main arc of BCS since we already know how that turns out. I'm sure that's probably by design.

Why was Mike there helping Saul, isn't he Lalo's opponent? He works for Gus.

Gus charged Nacho to report on Lalo's activities and he charged Mike to be Nacho's "handler." If Lalo stays in jail, Gus loses his "hook" into the Salamanca clan (through Nacho).

Gus charged Nacho to report on Lalo's activities and he charged Mike to be Nacho's "handler." If Lalo stays in jail, Gus loses his "hook" into the Salamanca clan (through Nacho).

It's a good argument but, one correction: Nacho is Mike's handler.

You know they've made a female character you really like on a show when you saw Kim meeting with Lalo and was like, "Noooooooooo!!! Kim, you're gonna die! What are you doing?!" Normally I'd roll my eyes or shrug my shoulders and be like, "bye, bye annoying woman."

Such a great episode. When they started playing that music in the desert I started reciting the lyrics to "My Name Is" but to my surprise it was the original song which is pretty damn good as well

I still don't get who tipped off who and why. Obviously when the cousins picked up the money someone there made that call and tipped them off. But I also don't understand why Lalo didn't send some protection for Jimmy. I know he doesn't care about Jimmy's life much and maybe $7mil is a drop in the bucket to him.....which it appears to be.

Anyway is the trail that someone from Salamanca's org called Nacho, who called Mike/Gus who went to make sure Jimmy got the money back safely? And why?

Watching Ep. 8 right now.

Once again, I don't get how Mike is this one-man Navy Seal Unit. Most unrealistic shit ever. It drops the show a few notches for me.

Awful episode. This was 'The Fly' for BCS for me.
You serious

The fly was a cost-saving bottle episode

It was just a fly and a room and just Walt and Jesse

It had no impact on the overall story at all

This had all sorts of people shooting each other and guns and explosions and everything

Definite money and Care spent on this episode

You're a wacko bud

I got to say the only part that I was disappointed in was Saul dragging those bags

Was it not obvious to everyone was going to happen

Disappointed in Mike for not stopping him

This is probably the most intense episode of better call Saul ever. Bringing that breaking bad intensity

My wife is freaking out when she saw the money everywhere. Lol. Got right into it

Good Times

You serious

The fly was a cost-saving bottle episode

It was just a fly and a room and just Walt and Jesse

It had no impact on the overall story at all

This had all sorts of people shooting each other and guns and explosions and everything

Definite money and Care spent on this episode

You're a wacko bud

Any scene with Mike grinds my gears. And this ep. had a lot of Mike and his nonsense super set of skills.

I don't even think a 10 year Navy SEAL vet can make a shot like he did at the end. This geriatric ass managed to do it starving and dehydrated.

Back